• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Replaying RC06

Indeed it is....

That's what you tend to find with games you haven't played for a while. There's a little trouble learning the game again and thus there is the possibilty of being scored against.

I find that in most cases the game is very fluid, if not a little flawed and easy. I'm sure a day will come when game similar to JLR will be released. Hopefully that day will come soon, with next gen it should be much easier to implement.

What I liked about this game is that there were no set plays and thus let your imagination run wild at the things you could do. What probably would have been better though is the option to design your own set plays, for moves that are commonly use. This however would need the possiblity of changing the move on the fly if a gap were to open up. Also a set play, may last a number of phases, where you spread the ball from one side of the field to the other, busting it through - a bit of randomness. This can still be done in RC but the above idea would have made it a lot better. Sadly, they may not make another rugby game, so I may have to use this in my game......

Overall RC was great fun, but some areas become too easy too quiclkly: Scrums/mauls, goal kicking.

My Five Cents (We don't have 2 cent coins in Aus)...

Yeah!?

I just don't get this game - I really thought that it felt like a chore playing it and that it is nothing compared to EA's 2006 version.

I didn't mind the graphics or the sound but I just have a huge problem with the game play.

It feels more like rugby league than union and it is so frustrating when control of the ball never changes and the line-outs are pathetic. Seriously JLR had better lineouts and that game is almost ten years old now. Swordfish stuffed up by making JLR so good (especially for it's time) and not improving on the orginal.

I am sorry to say this (especially as Trevor seems such a nice guy and I know that his team worked extremely hard on this) but I am glad that they are not going to be making another rugby game.

I know that I am going to be slated for saying this - but I had more fun playing EA's Rugby '04!

Originally posted by BigTen@Jul 21 2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah!?

I just don't get this game - I really thought that it felt like a chore playing it and that it is nothing compared to EA's 2006 version.

I didn't mind the graphics or the sound but I just have a huge problem with the game play.

It feels more like rugby league than union and it is so frustrating when control of the ball never changes and the line-outs are pathetic. Seriously JLR had better lineouts and that game is almost ten years old now. Swordfish stuffed up by making JLR so good (especially for it's time) and not improving on the orginal.

I am sorry to say this (especially as Trevor seems such a nice guy and I know that his team worked extremely hard on this) but I am glad that they are not going to be making another rugby game.

I know that I am going to be slated for saying this - but I had more fun playing EA's Rugby '04!
Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying Rugby 04 was better, but I generally agree with you BT... I thought this game was attrocious, it just didn't feel like rugby to me.

I thought it was good until i played Rugby2006

Hey atleast it kept EA on their toes - and 2006 is evident of that

Now all i want is a BLIC sequel and Rugbyx360

Indeed....

The game was good in patches, just not great. It was quite a long way ahead of Rugby 2004, but it was no match for Rugby 06, which right now has got to be the best.

I'm disappointed that Trev will probably not have another chance to redeem himself, because I'm sure that he'd pull through next time.

Basically this is like Rugby 2001. A good game for a while, but gets far too easy and has just one too many flaws. A lot of positives can be taken from this game, one of which is the very good AI defence.

Hopefully EA can listen to a number of ideas and improve greatly in terms of rucks, mauling, scrums, and set plays (as good as they are)... these areas just need some tweaking and in 3/4 cases they need quite a major redesigning.

I played it for a week, but then Rugby 06 came out - and there was no going back. It was a shocking commercial decision to release it in February.

Originally posted by ***an@Jul 22 2006, 05:45 PM
I played it for a week, but then Rugby 06 came out - and there was no going back. It was a shocking commercial decision to release it in February.
Not made by Swordfish.

Yeah, i remember there were all kinds of problems with release due to a chnge of hands or something. It was even looking like it wasnt going to be released at one stage.

It's a fun enough game to play in wee spurts, but the off the ball tackling got a bit annoying. I hope swordfish try to re-do it and make it more of a sim next time.

Highly unlikely another game will be made by Swordfish.....

....but if they or someone else from the original Jonah team decide to make one.....it would have to be bloody brilliant to overcome hoe EA are panning out..

The only weakness EA have is the motion capture...which is what JLR did not have. EA are doing a great job catering for the flaws of motion capture....however.....if someone decides to take them on and gets a game that has very limited motion capture but instead leaves it up to hit dynamics...then EA may possibly be dethroned.....

Funny that Fifa got rid of a lot of the motion capture in their later games......same with Madden...so why not Rugby?

The beauty of Rugby 06 is that it captures fluid running rugby better than no other Rugby league/union ***le on the market... however, there is still issues with the passing (I wish they could mix their current one with the one from RL2 to be honest), support play, set peices and rucks especially in my opinion (however as you play it more the ruck system is far more deep and subtle than you would originally have suspected).

Well... The EA game is called "Rugby 06", while the Swordfish ganme is "Rugby Challenge 2006"

I'd go out on a limb and say he's refering to the EA game...

:rolleyes:

I haven't played EA's Rugby for a while now, I didn't even finish a full season of the GP fo god's sake. Xbox live took over and I only play PGR2 and Halo 2 now really.