• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU rules against London Welsh

Damn, was probably going to happen. Lucky Newcastle get away with being the worst.

So what's the point in playing these final set of games if there is nothing really to play for? RFU need a re-think on its policy.

If there's no relegation then the winner of the playoffs gets the parachute payment, I believe, which is a decent sum of money (£1.75m).

Whoever wins could use that money towards building a stadium.

One must ask, regarding the Championship final, what is the point?
I know winning the league and all that, but it is hardly comparable to promotion to the Premiership.

That whole primacy of tenure rule is a complete joke.

Convenient that nobody is eligible when Newcastle are doomed. When Squeeky is the Chair of Pro-rugby in England...

This annoys me as a worcester fan. All that effort not to get relegated when actually it never really mattered

Convenient that nobody is eligible when Newcastle are doomed. When Squeeky is the Chair of Pro-rugby in England...

Do you think it would have been different if it had been Wasps? Two chances.

Primacy of tenure is an odd one - it's to do with the sport more than actually who owns the stadium.
Sale Sharks did have primacy of tenure at Edgeley, and are equal shares of Salford - however because at Salford we're sharing with a Super League side it doesn't matter.

The reason they want you to have primacy of tenure so if Sky want you to rearrange a game you can do so with no fuss - Sky have the right to Super League as well so they're not going to rearrange a Sale and Salford game for the same day.

Still doesn't make sense for teams like Irish, Wasps, Sarries who all share with Football sides, it's just straight up hypocrisy from the RFU (shock horror!).

Wasn't the only criteria on which they failed though to the best of my knowledge. No back-up stadium in thirty miles either.

It may be hypocrisy, but it wouldn't make such sense to get rid of half the teams in your league!

True, true. But then they should allow RFU clubs to be promotoed, but say "You've got a season to get sorted - if you don't then you get relegated regardless of league position" or something like that.

Primacy of tenure is an odd one - it's to do with the sport more than actually who owns the stadium.
Sale Sharks did have primacy of tenure at Edgeley, and are equal shares of Salford - however because at Salford we're sharing with a Super League side it doesn't matter.

The reason they want you to have primacy of tenure so if Sky want you to rearrange a game you can do so with no fuss - Sky have the right to Super League as well so they're not going to rearrange a Sale and Salford game for the same day.

Still doesn't make sense for teams like Irish, Wasps, Sarries who all share with Football sides, it's just straight up hypocrisy from the RFU (shock horror!).

From what I gather London Welsh provided documentation that along with the Kassam they would be able to have the power to re-arrange fixtures. The LW chairman even confirmed this during the pre-match interview with SKY last night. Basically if London Welsh has shown this and have abided to what the RFU have asked them to show then the RFU are treading a dangerous line with an appeal and legal action.

Latest posts