• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ridiculously high injury count

Makos

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
Not so sure about the other conferences, but all the NZ teams have been hit with a huge injury count and a lot of All Blacks.

Highlanders:

Sopoaga
Naholo
Ben Smith

Crusaders;

Taminivula
Dagg

Hurricanes;

NMS

Chiefs;

James Lowe

Blues;

SBW

That's just what I can remember.

I reckon we just calm it down in the Super Rugby, we need to be fit for the Lions Tour, no need to bust our gut in a poor competition anyway, if I was Hansen I'd be calling the franchise coaches and asking them to protect our All Blacks a bit more.

Hard to do I know, but when a side plays someone average, field some of the reserves, it's good for depth as well..

In South Africa I didn't think injuries were too bad until I did a little digging:

Stormers (bye next week):
Kolbe (back next game)
Dan Kriel (back next game)
Jean-Luc Du Plessis (should hopefully be back by the next game)
Damien De Allende (longer term)
Juan De Jongh (longer term)
Leonin Zas

Sharks:
Philip Van Der Walt (maybe)
Pat Lambie (not sure of seriousness, not yet confirmed)

Cheetahs (have it rough at the moment, had a list of 13 injured players before the Sunwolves game, the ones I remember):
Reniel Hugo (long term, out for the year)
Uzair Cassiem (out for the month)
Nico Lee (short term, should be back soon)
Ox Nche
Francois Venter
Sergeal Petersen

Lions:
Howard Mnisi (I think for the season)
(I don't know of anyone else?)
Ruan Combrink

Bulls:
Jacques Potgieter
Shaun Adendorff
Roelof Smit
Ulrich Beyers
Ulrich van Vuuren
Duncan Matthews

Adriaan Strauss
Jannes Kirsten
Arno Botha

Kings:
CJ Velleman
(don't know any others)

This list is also pretty substantial, but what is good for us is that most injuries aren't to Springbok contenders yet, with those that are likely to be short term injuries. It is part of the game though and although it is unfortunate, I don't think it merits interference in pulling players, that damages the integrity of the tournament (I get the policy of limiting games in a row for international players, but pulling all out would be extreme and would also likely result in rusty players without much game time, if that is what you were suggesting).

Last edited:
Gee that's a list alright.

It's summer with the harder surfaces probably.. Playing on dirt tracks over the years is not good, I've had dislocated shoulders and had concussions from them.

Also the longer season will be taking its toll and the travel miles can't be good on the body for the guys.

Slogging it out with all this distance travelling and 10 month long seasons is going to kill them

It does seem like a lot, a few that Saulan forgot:

Ruan Combrink (Lio)
Leonin Zas (Stormers)
Adriaan Strauss (Bulls)
Jannes Kirsten (Bulls)
Arno Botha (Bulls)
Sergeal Petersen (Cheetahs)

The above are all pretty key players as well so it certainly doesn't help matters.

Last edited:
Lionel Mapoe and Charlie Ngatai also out injured.

Looks like a lot of centers in particular. I know at the Stormers we are plumbing our depth already with all of DDA, JdJ and Kriel unavailable.

Nothing new though. I don't feel like this list is anything more than in other years?

Looks like a lot of centers in particular. I know at the Stormers we are plumbing our depth already with all of DDA, JdJ and Kriel unavailable.

Nothing new though. I don't feel like this list is anything more than in other years?

You also forgot about Jan Serfontein. He missed the first 2 matches already for the Bulls. Apparently he's fit again now, and could feature this weekend against the Sunwolves.

You also forgot about Jan Serfontein. He missed the first 2 matches already for the Bulls. Apparently he's fit again now, and could feature this weekend against the Sunwolves.

I totally did. Hopefully we see all these guys in action but its good to see that guys like Am and Viljoen have had chances to impress. I think JdJ will struggle to lift Viljoen at 13. He might make the cut at 12 though if De Allende doesn't beat him to fitness. Think those two will come back in unless the likes of Kriel and Du Plessis take it a few steps up from what we've seen if given the chance.

Add to that...

Chiefs

Brad Weber (season-femur)
Mitchell Graham (season- tibia)
Tim Nanai-Williams (shoulder- 4-6 weeks)

Hurricanes

Corey Jane (neck- tbd)
Loni Uhila (calf- weeks)
Blade Thompson (shoulder dislocation)

Highlanders
James Lentjes (shoulder dislocation)
Liam Squire (knee 4-6 weeks)
Jason Emery (achilles- season)
Shane Christie (mystery illness- tbd)
Dan Pryor (knee)

Crusaders

Tim Bateman (back)
Kieran Read (wrist)

I know the South African teams have often struggled with injuries, but this is a particular bad year for the Kiwi teams.

It may just be one of those years or perhaps its just been highlighted more because we have the Lions coming soon and need a fresh squad