• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Right, County Championship poised & ready

R

RoyalBlueStuey

The Bill Beaumont Cup

Right you lot....any of your pitiful little counties able to take Lancashire's ***le? Sorry I coudn't be more use with where these fixtures are taking place. If anyone has a link feel free to chip in.

Bill Beaumont Cup
May 5: North: Lancashire v Cheshire, Yorkshire v North Midlands. South: Gloucestershire v Hertfordshire,
Devon v Middlesex

May 12: North: North Midlands v Lancashire, Yorkshire v Cheshire. South: Gloucestershire v Middlesex, Hertfordshire v Devon

May 19: North: Cheshire v North Midlands, Lancashire v Yorkshire. South: Devon v Gloucestershire, Middlesex v Hertfordshire

May 28: Twickenham final

There is also the shield and plate competitions :

County Championship Shield
May 5: North: Northumberland v Cumbria, Notts Lincs & Derbys v Warwickshire. South: Oxfordshire v Surrey, Somerset v Cornwall

May 12: North: Cumbria v Warwickshire, Notts Lincs & Derbys v Northumberland. South: Oxfordshire v Cornwall, Surrey v Somerset

May 19: North: Cumbria v Notts Lincs & Derbys, Warwickshire v Northumberland. South: Cornwall v Surrey, Somerset v Oxfordshire

May 27: Final

County Championship Plate

April 28: Pool 1: Essex v Staffordshire, Leicestershire v Durham. Pool 2: Sussex v Buckinghamshire, Hampshire v Dorset & Wilts. Pool 3: Eastern Counties v East Midlands, Kent v Berkshire.

May 5: Pool 1: Durham v Essex, Staffordshire v Leicestershire. Pool 2: Dorset & Wilts v Buckinghamshire, Hampshire v Sussex. Pool 3: East Midlands v Berkshire, Eastern Counties v Kent.

May 12: Pool 1: Durham v Staffordshire, Essex v Leicestershire. Pool 2: Dorset & Wilts v Sussex, Buckinghamshire v Hampshire. Pool 3: Berkshire v Eastern Counties, Kent v East Midlands.

May 19: Semi-finals

May 27: Final

There is some experimental rules being tried out too :

*The maul can be pulled down without penalty, players may break away and be bound in front of the ball-carrier and joining a maul from behind the back foot will be strictly enforced

*If the ball is passed or taken back into the 22 and kicked into touch, the lineout is in line with where the ball was kicked

*Entering the breakdown ‘through the gate’ will be rigidly enforced, a tackled player must play the ball immediately and must not be prevented doing so by any player off their feet.

Come on Cheshire!
[/b]

Lancs game against Cheshire is at Fylde up near Blackpool....The East Midlands game is at Moseley. Don't know where the Yorkshire game is. Can't find anything on the web (Well done RFU...that's how to promote a tournament!).

I think people she get into this competition....the grass roots shouldn't just be cast aside in favour of the big franchises.

Come On Dorset & Wilts!!!
[/b]

Would the Hampshire game be the big derby for you. Obviously we look to the Yorkshire game.

Ah grassroots rugger...There were loads of Waterloo boys in last year's win over Devon. Great way to cap the great season, see J-Lo, Cakes, Freeman et al lifting a trophy at Twickenham (empty though it was).

Oh yeah massive rivalry, played at junior level for Dorset & Wilts... Great fun...

Got sent off in one game for them...

Oh yeah massive rivalry, played at junior level for Dorset & Wilts... Great fun...

Got sent off in one game for them...
[/b]

I am really getting into this now....hope it's a big success for them.

In some ways I wish I wasn't at uni while this is on. I'd would be really up for going to Cheshire's games, but on the other hand, I'd rather go and watch the Scarlets than Cheshire :D

In some ways I wish I wasn't at uni while this is on. I'd would be really up for going to Cheshire's games, but on the other hand, I'd rather go and watch the Scarlets than Cheshire :D
[/b]

Yeah club is bounf to come first but the grass-roots county game is good fun. There's life outside the professionals.

Go go go East Midlands. With my second team being Berkshire.

Any idea where you can get information on squads?

Go go go East Midlands. With my second team being Berkshire.

Any idea where you can get information on squads?
[/b]

I was talking to Charlie about this....I can't even find the venues and kick-off times online. If the RFU want it to work that need to get the info out there 'cause the traditional media don't seem to give rugby, and lower league rugby, any coverage at all.

The finals were on Sky last season though so kudos to them...don't know if they are doing it again this time round.

Go Hertfordshire. Don't know why though... I suppose I like to be different.

It will be interesting how these experimental rules go.

From the RememberWakefield National League 2 Forum

Northern Pool Competition
Saturday 5th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ Fylde RFC
Lancashire versus Cheshire
Saturday 5th May 2007 KO 2.30pm @ Doncaster
Yorkshire versus North Midlands
Saturday 12th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ Moseley
North Midlands versus Lancashire
Saturday 12th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ Doncaster
Yorkshire versus Cheshire
19th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ Macclesfield
Cheshire versus North Midlands
19th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ Sedgeley Park RUFC
Lancashire versus Yorkshire

Southern Pool Competition
Saturday 5th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ TBC
Devon versus Middlesex
Saturday 5th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ TBC
Gloucestershire versus Hertfordshire
Saturday 12th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ TBC
Gloucestershire versus Middlesex
Saturday 12th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ TBC
Hertfordshire versus Devon
19th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ TBC
Devon versus Gloucestershire
19th May 2007 KO 3.00pm @ TBC
Middlesex versus Hertfordshire

Cornwall's Shield Games

May 5th vs Somerset (A) at Bridgewater & Albion
May 12th vs Oxfordshire (A) at Chinnor
May 19th vs SURREY (H) at Camborne

Eastern Counties fixtures

28 Apr 07 - East Midlands (Norwich RFC) 3pm
05 May 07 - Kent (Cambridge RFC) 3pm
12 May 07 - Berkshire (away) 3pm

That's all I've got at present.

Lancashire 27-17 Yorkshire

For the third year in succession the only thing that stood between Yorkshire and a visit to Twickenham was the "Old Enemy" Lancashire. To be brutally honest on this occasion Lancashire well deserved their win, although the fact that Yorkshire had to make ten changes to the published team cannot have helped their cause.

Lancashire came out all guns blazing against a Yorkshire side that looked overwhelmed by the occasion and found themselves 27-3 down at half time. Their only point coming from a Tom Rhodes penalty.

The second half did at least see Yorkshire restore some respectability to the scoreline as they managed fourteen unanswered points including tries from debutant Leeds Tykes centre Luther Burrell and Hull Ionians back-rower Richard Wigham. In the end, and although they had the upper hand, time ran out for the Tykes and it is Lancashire who will compete for the inaugural Bill Beaumont Cup against Devon.

Wohoooooo! Same final as last year.

Don't know who's competing in the other finals.

It kills me to see where the mighty county of mine, Cornwall has sunk over the past veiw years.
Cornwall once played Austalia in the olympics and now look at us. :(

Latest posts