• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rockstars Table Tennis

W

woosaah

Originally posted by From my email
The initial reaction to the March announcement of Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis was one of widespread bewilderment. A joke? A teaser for something far, far more sinister?
Nope. Not at all. With the ferocity and intensity of a fighting game, yet the easy pick-up-and-play but subtly deep mechanics of tennis, resulting in a pure, addictive one-on-one competitive experience - Table Tennis is an incredibly fun time, and one that has seen many a blistery thumb and battered ego around the Rockstar Games offices all this spring.

The game on the 360 looks beautiful, without a doubt, as exemplified by the pre-release screenshots and videos. The character detail, expression, and naturalistic movement, the luster of the polished hardwood floors and other arenas, the gorgeous slow-motion action shots - all truly a showcase of what the next generation of videogames has to offer.

But beauty is only skin deep, and you really can't fully 100% appreciate the fun of Table Tennis - until you've gotten your hands on it.

Within a few weeks of the announcement, previews from gaming's top journalists began to hit, with reactions calling the ***le "an exercise in ultimate zen focus" (GamesRadar) and even "an early shout for Game of the Year 2006" (GamesMaster UK) - and folks began to realize... well, maybe this ain't no joke?

Then we took the show on the road with extensive hands-on tours, and also invited myriad friends and family to our hideaway loft in lower Manhattan to participate in an ongoing series of private tournaments.

The response of the videogame-enthusiast everyman? Akin to the videogame journalistic elite. "The play is f***ing vehement, and it looks mean like something you haven't seen", "The graphics are crazy, I can actually see the characters sweating", "I will totally buy a 360 for this" were among many such recorded comments...

Now today is the day that Xbox 360 owners around the nation have the opportunity to see, engage and experience the game for themselves.

Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis is here.

Visit the Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis website at www.rockstargames.com/tabletennis for online retail options, a wealth of game information, plus the official trailer, videos, and a newly updated set of high-resolution screenshots.

I couldnt find the original post, its lost somewhere....

obviously it is out now anyone willing to hire it out and tell us what they think?

i may buy it coz i like table tennis and feedback on the gamespot forums is positive

getting online is the linchpin though as apparantly single player is very short, and dull

HAHA oh man, someone has to get this out, it sounds hilarious! i dont now how much you could get into. I always thought those net table tennis games wer quite fun for a bit of a time waster though.

oi this game is getting wraps from all over the world

will try and rent it this weekend...........seems like alot of fun, and apparantly shows up top spin 2

Holy ****. Who'da thunk it?

I may very well have to get this as well... Pity theres no deep singleplayer, but if I can manages to find a friend.......................whos shares my passion for tabletennis, this would be sweet.

Originally posted by kaftka@May 26 2006, 03:20 PM

I may very well have to get this as well... Pity theres no deep singleplayer, but if I can manages to find a friend.......................whos shares my passion for tabletennis, this would be sweet.
Suxty Bux bro - ya cant go wrong

i dont have online yet - BIG YET - but all of my mates will say they are the best table tennis player on the planet - now step up punks!!!

Originally posted by ak47+May 26 2006, 03:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-kaftka
@May 26 2006, 03:20 PM

Suxty Bux bro - ya cant go wrong [/b]
Thet eccent woz floorless.

well i traded in perfect dark zero and paid $30.00 for this table tennis

the best thing i ever done

this game is sheer fun

it playes like table tennis
it sounds like table tennis
its fast
its furious
and its not glitchy/twitchy

i havent played Top Spin 2 yet - but this is better than top spin1 for gameplay value.

its not a very deep game in terms on longevity
but it is another great ****-up, grab all ya mates for a bash, type game
this game online would be flawless, in which is where the developers have aimed at coz there just aint that much single player wise

well worth the $60.00 RRP.............

Cheers for that Ak... Next time I'm in Hastings, I'll trade in my FIFA world cup game... Because that was good for 10 minutes...

Originally posted by kaftka@May 29 2006, 03:56 PM
Cheers for that Ak... Next time I'm in Hastings, I'll trade in my FIFA world cup game... Because that was good for 10 minutes...
Just be mindful there nothing in it for single player

u'll need online or a good batch of 2 player mates :D

Yep yep...

Speaking of a good two player game. Hire out Full Auto some weekend. Thats great multiplayer mayhem

Rockstar are the GREATEST development team in all gaming world, all gaming history

First we have GTA
Then we get THE WARRIORS

then TABLE TENNIS..........well WTF is this crap

I have racked up 8hrs thus far........total BS addictive, BS crap - how do they do it??

Its f***in Ping Pong :bleh!:

Bloody great isn't it? They didn't have to make Table Tennis. They could have blown it off to choose a safe game to make. But no, they took the challenge. Rockstar are fricking cool.

Originally posted by CeeJay@May 31 2006, 10:58 PM
Is singleplayer still fun?
yeah it is man and its intense but there ZERO depth

there a few tournies about 4 of them.........the All Star tourny is very very hard, and i have just won it, but with a ivanisevic of ping pong...he hits very hard

it will be near impossible to win that with any other charachter

but there's nothing else single player

its a multiplayer gem of a game - and i heard its flawless online with zero lag no matter whom u play - even overseas

i got a pc the other day, and my mate is coming around to hook it up with broadband -

if all goes well, you will see my name @ #1 on the ping pong charts in the coming weeks :lol: :p :bleh!:

My mum has a ping pong table and we used to play alot. wed hav family ping pong tourny, and mum loved it! Since then she got a stuffed shoulder and cant play, so i thought maybe this game would be good to get to resserect the family game. As long as it has a challenging SP mode, thats still fun if not deep. I dont hav online, but plenty of competitive family members, what do ya reckon?

So, do you think anyone can pick up the control easy?

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jun 1 2006, 10:31 AM
My mum has a ping pong table and we used to play alot. wed hav family ping pong tourny, and mum loved it! Since then she got a stuffed shoulder and cant play, so i thought maybe this game would be good to get to resserect the family game. As long as it has a challenging SP mode, thats still fun if not deep. I dont hav online, but plenty of competitive family members, what do ya reckon?

So, do you think anyone can pick up the control easy?
yes and no

u can pick and play easy

but there is a great deal of depth learnt within the controls once u start to master it

do a trade for it or rent it first - its worth the trade in value, coz then u pay max $40.00 for it

if 2 people with zero experience played this game together for the 1st time - they wouldnt put it down until there was clear cut winner

that happened to me - i got the game and told my mates and 2 of them came over, and i had only just started the training

we got to the business and started playing - 3 hrs later, nobody could decide who was the real champ it was soo close - we walked off for a beer, with very sore thumbs.

I bought table tennis & I wasn't thinking it was gonna be much good. I saw alot of reviews and thought the only way it got a good review because it was made by Rockstar. Played first match against my bro, both wasn't impressed much.
Then after we had a few more games & started some rallies (sp?) going & the brilliance of the game shone through.

I was playing the game as you do when you play tennis, holding down the shot button & aiming.....Doesn't work with table tennis. You got to press you counter shot before you opponent strikes the ball, then position your shot as you are hitting it. Its bizarre coz once you get into the gameplay, It doesn't actually feel like you are playing the game.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jun 2 2006, 02:14 PM
How does it not feel like your playng the game?
dunno what that means - its great

10hrs racked up now - u keep coming back coz the unlockables are actually achievable on a great challenge scale - not easy - bloody hard.

Its out everywhere - even sold out alot of joints - go rent or try at the shops....the line @ my local JBHIFI to play Table Tennis was 6 GROWN UPS LONG, kids forbidden :lol: