• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rome 2012

nijusho51

Academy Player
Hi to everyone,

Newbie calling just joined the forum so be gentle with me.

Myself and 2 colleagues are travelling to Rome for the italy England game, just looking for some advice from any well travelled fans with regards to places to eat,drink of course and generally anything to look out for. Have travelled some myself but this is the first time in Rome. Any help/advise appreciated.

I haven't travelled to Rome for rugby, but did go on an architecture trip with uni a couple of years ago. I found food to be expensive if you want something half decent. Avoid cheap food, especially the horrible baguette fast food joint opposite the Trevi fountain, was trully disgusting. Try and find small cafe's/coffee shops for lunch food, although even these can be a bit rubbish from what I experienced. At one cafe, a couple of people ordered lasagne, and the guy just got a frozen ready meal out and shoved it in a microwave behind the counter! And even then was charging almost 10euro.

I only really managed to get one good meal, in a nice restaurant not far from the colusseum, but that cost around 30euro (steak, chips etc.). I was there for five days, and tried plenty of different places, but ultimately some of the food was so bad that I'd consider trying to find a MCDonalds next time, because at least they're consistently meh.

The exchange rate was poor when I went, with the Euro particularily strong at the time, so everything seemed more expensive. As the Euro has been hit hard recently, you should get more bang for your pound now, hopefully being able to afford better food than we could.

I'm not sure where the stadium is in Rome, so can't comment on any pubs in that area. We managed to find a few nice pubs though, including a nice Irish bar (typical).

Rome is a fantastic city to visit for both a rugby match and sightseeing, I have travelling to the city for both occasions. The stadium is quite a walk, but there are regular buses which travel past it. In terms of food and accommodation it can be expensive, but I am sure there are cheap hostels etc. for a couple of nights.

I haven't travelled to Rome for rugby, but did go on an architecture trip with uni a couple of years ago. I found food to be expensive if you want something half decent. Avoid cheap food, especially the horrible baguette fast food joint opposite the Trevi fountain, was trully disgusting. Try and find small cafe's/coffee shops for lunch food, although even these can be a bit rubbish from what I experienced. At one cafe, a couple of people ordered lasagne, and the guy just got a frozen ready meal out and shoved it in a microwave behind the counter! And even then was charging almost 10euro.

I only really managed to get one good meal, in a nice restaurant not far from the colusseum, but that cost around 30euro (steak, chips etc.). I was there for five days, and tried plenty of different places, but ultimately some of the food was so bad that I'd consider trying to find a MCDonalds next time, because at least they're consistently meh.

The exchange rate was poor when I went, with the Euro particularily strong at the time, so everything seemed more expensive. As the Euro has been hit hard recently, you should get more bang for your pound now, hopefully being able to afford better food than we could.

I'm not sure where the stadium is in Rome, so can't comment on any pubs in that area. We managed to find a few nice pubs though, including a nice Irish bar (typical).

Strange as I actually thought some of the food was pretty good:D. Although there are bad places in every city obviously, perhaps you just had bad luck, or me good luck. Can't comment on the prices as my parents were paying:p plus it was a while ago.

Never been there for the rugby but it really is an amazing city. Even though I've seen it often on tv I was still awe-struck when I saw the Colosseum, and I really hope you enjoy it just as much. But I also hope England lose;)

Thanks to all for the replies, we are looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll manage somehow (big macs n guiness sound ok to me) tickets have arrived and everything is booked so just counting down to departure time.

Me1 I hope we enjoy more than you did and an England win will help the beer flow :D

To re-iterate some of Me 1's comments, Rome is an awesome city to explore, especially if you're a fan of architecture. There is just so much to see it's almost overwhelming. You begin overlooking awesome churches and the such simply because they don't stand up to the other even more awesome buildings surrounding them. I found it a little disapointing that some monuments and the like has to be fenced off, bcause it obscured their view, but ultimately if people are loutish enough to vandelise them, then it's for the best.

Hopefully it was just my experiences of the food that were bad, and you'll find nicer places to eat at. As I said, things seemed much more expense when I went due to the exchange rate, couple that with the fact we were all students with very little money and we probably couldn't really afford decent places to eat.

We stayed in a rather dingy hotel, but it was close to the centre of Rome which served as a good base to explore, so it served us fine. I'd love to go again in a few years when I've got more money to spend, because I don't think I got around the seeing half of what Rome has to offer.

Have fun.

Restaurant tip: La Focaccia at the Via della Pace 11. I've been there numerous times. It's not a tourist trap; it's visited mainly by local Romans. Food is absolutely great and not too expensive. It's a bit hidden away behind a church in a little old cobblestone street but I'm sure with Google Maps you'll find it.

a few food tips extracted from Slowfood "Guida delle Osterie", a guide dealing with traditional food and truly authentic roman cusine, not sophisticated, honest prices (no more than 30/35 euros for a complete dinner), absolutely not touristic but often crowded with local people

I don't live in Rome but of course did go there several times, I tried some of these "osterie" and they always met my expectations

I just selected those in city center area or in historical districts (such as Testaccio) or in the Stadium area

Da Armando al Pantheon
Salita de' Crescenzi 31 (center)

Dal cavalier Gino

Vicolo Rosini 4(center)
Felice
Via Mastro Giorgio 29 (Testaccio, highly recommended)

Flavio al Velavevodetto

Via di Monte Testaccio 97 (Testaccio)

Grappolo d'Oro Zampanò

Piazza della Cancelleria 80-84 (center)

Il Quinto Quarto

Via della Farnesina 13 (walking distance from the Stadium)

Lo sgobbone
Via dei Podesti 10 (walking distance from the Stadium)

Matricianella
Via del Leone 4 (center)

Osteria dell'Angelo
Via Bettolo 24 (center - Giulio Cesare area, highly recommended)

Taberna Recina
Via Recina 22-26 (San Giovanni area)

Trattoria Cadorna
Via Cadorna, 12 12 (center - Villa Borghese)

I'm probably going to Italy - Scotland by the way as I will be in Rome that weekend anyway...

Hi There,

I am heading to Rome in February for the Rugby and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which areas to stay in so we are quite central but close to any night-life (pubs, bars etc.)

I have heard Travestere and campo de fiori are quite good but just wondered if these are the best areas and how central they are? Also any recommendations for Hotels??

thanks

Also, anyone going who hasn't booked flights yet, you can get them for £100 return flying ryanair via eindhoven (you need to book two separate returns but worth it for the money you save!)

If you stay near Piazza Navona you cant go wrong. Trastevere is on the west bank of the Tiber where as most pubs and bars are on the east side. Campo de Fiori is just fine.

Hi There,

I am heading to Rome in February for the Rugby and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which areas to stay in so we are quite central but close to any night-life (pubs, bars etc.)

I have heard Travestere and campo de fiori are quite good but just wondered if these are the best areas and how central they are? Also any recommendations for Hotels??

thanks

Also, anyone going who hasn't booked flights yet, you can get them for £100 return flying ryanair via eindhoven (you need to book two separate returns but worth it for the money you save!)

Where are you staying ? what part of the ground are you in ?

I haven't booked my hotel yet and not sure what part of the ground. will have to check this weekend. I will probably try and get somewhere near Piazza Navone

I shall be watching this game....in a pub.... in a probably rainy Bristol. I feel sad about that. Except when Italy win ofc

I just joined this site to see if I could connect with other people who'll attend the match on the 11th.
I'm staying at the Hotel Portoghesi, about 200 yards NW of the Pantheon. It is a terrific location, and they are booking special rates now @ €100 which includes breakfast. The hotel is also only about 150 yards from Piaza Navona, so food and nightlife are all around. As I understand, it's about a 2.5 mile walk to the stadium.
Does anybody know where most of the English fans will congregate?

Last edited:
I'll be in Rome too, but not sure I'll be eating badly... I thought the Italians were experts at food no?

I will be coming to visit the rugby from Malta, staying near the Termini station. Do you know places in ROme where rugby supporters meet up before the game considering its a late kick off

Latest posts