• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 11. Hurricanes v Cheetahs

D

Dumbo

THe Hurricanes after having a week off play the Cheetahs (after being beaten by the Blues last week).
This should be an interesting game for both sides as the Canes will have another week to try and sort themselves out and the Cheetahs should offer more resistance after being in NZ for a bit longer.

Who's going to take it out? who knows... the Canes this year have been NZ's biggest dissapointment.
If there's a time to get it right then it's this weekend.

I'm thinking the Canes will have sorted their **** out during their bye. They should be refreshed and ready for this week....plus the Cheetahs are having injury problems to some of their key players.

Juan Smith is a possible starter after missing lastw eeks loss to the Blues through injury. But he'll be coming up againt JC, Masoe & So'oialo.

Canes by 10.

Masoe shouln't even be mentioned in the same sentance as Smith, Juan's in a completly differant league than Masoe - completly.

Collins and Rodney are looking a lot better but who's playing 10, 12 and 13 for the Canes?
10 is pivotal to the Canes sucess and this year they've had one guy who can't run, another who can can't kick and now another that hardly stands 6 foot tall (who also should be playing at the back of the scrum to keep Kellerwanker from being the primary half back come world cup).

Bets of luck to the Canes... they need it

Juan Smith is awesome. His battle with Collins will be great to watch.

Pity the Canes lack in the 1st five department. How did Gopperth get so terrible?

Because he's been on the rags for the past couple of months and needs to change his pad...

No, that's not very nice at all.
This season he's just not been prepared to run it at the line, everytime he does he looks worried that he's going to break a nail, no that not nice either...

Think that the differance this year is how's he's just not been commited to dominating the game and seems to be just going throught he motions.

He's talented and there's a lot more years ahead... I'd rather have him the Lavea.

Go the Hurricanes...they can win this game which they really should...hi im wellycane :D

HURRICANES:
15 Cory Jane, 14 Shannon Paku, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Piri Weepu, 9 Alby Mathewson; 8 Rodney So'oialo ©, 7 Chris Masoe, 6 Jerry Collins, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Paul ***o, 3 Neemia Tialata, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 John Schwalger. Reserves: 16 Mahonri Schwalger, 17 Anthony Perenise, 18 Brad Mika, 19 Luke Andrews, 20 Jimmy Gopperth, 21 David Smith, 22 Tana Umaga.

Good front row there for the Canes, if anything it's a full strength forward pack.

The battle of the back rows will certainly be very interesting indeed- while the Canes have Big Rod, Jerry and Masoe, the Cheetahs will in all likelihood go in with 1 bigg fella in Smith, and 2 greyhounds in V D Merwe and Floors. While they haven`t lived up to expectations during this year`s S14 yet, except for Smith who`s been the form blindside of the comp. IMO, they`ve been extremely formidable in the domestic comps, and the injection of extra pace to the breakdowns could be very interesting, if Rassie goes that route.

Up front, the Cheetahs will field a formidable front row and an average, workmanlike 2nd row, it`ll be in the backs where the real difference would be in this game. It`s true that the Canes inside backs haven`t clicked as yet, but then again, neither have the Cheetahs- and in Phillip Burger and Bevan Fortuin, they have 2 serious scooters if given time and space by their inside backs. I reckon that whoever wins the battle of the inside backs, will take this one.

My hart is with the Cheetahs but I don't think they will make it but I hope they prove me wrong :p

My hart is with the Cheetahs but I don't think they will make it but I hope they prove me wrong :p
[/b]

Howzit Huckleberry, and welcome to TRF.

I`m in full agreement with also hoping for a Cheetahs win, and I`m actually tipping them for the win too, believe it or not!

Head to Head:

HURRICANES:
15 Cory Jane, 14 Shannon Paku, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Piri Weepu, 9 Alby Mathewson; 8 Rodney So'oialo ©, 7 Chris Masoe, 6 Jerry Collins, 5 Jason Eaton, 4 Paul ***o, 3 Neemia Tialata, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 John Schwalger. Reserves: 16 Mahonri Schwalger, 17 Anthony Perenise, 18 Brad Mika, 19 Luke Andrews, 20 Jimmy Gopperth, 21 David Smith, 22 Tana Umaga.

CHEETAHS:
15 Philip Burger, 14 Eddie Fredericks, 13 Ronnie Cooke, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Tiger Mangweni, 10 Willem de Waal, 9 Noel Oelschig, 8 Juan Smith ©, 7 Duane Vermeulen, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Corniel van Zyl, 4 Rory Duncan, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Ollie le Roux. Reserves: 16 Hans Jacob van Dyk, 17 Wian du Preez, 18 Dewald Senekal, 19 Kabamba Floors, 20 Michael Claassens, 21 Herkie Kruger, 22 Marius Joubert

Reckon Juan Smith's going to be a handful in this one.

Sorry to mention them in the same breath, but Juan Smith got smashed by Masoe who was busy reminding everyone why he's an All Black. Seriously though one needs only to have watched this game to realise how utterly dependent the sorry ass canes are on their all blacks.
I really feel for Conrad Smith, he is a player who can read a game so well, unfortunately he is lacking in the physical department and was again exposed for his lack of pace particularly in scrambling defense.
Can anyone here please tell me why Ma'a f&*$g Nonu is even in the starting 15. This guy does nothing, drops a crap load of balls and breaks fewer tackles than the fly half(granted it was Piri Weepu) but seriously what has he got. Crap vision, CRAP ball security, crap defense and now he is too fat and slow to break tackles.
Cheetahs were pretty inept in that match and failed to turn overwhelming possession and territory into points, though I can't say it was from good defense by the canes who have a bad habit of waiting for the attacking player to come to them rather than moving up in a line, they gave up easy meters to the cheetahs all night. *****.

A story of taken, and missed, chances. The Canes had about 4 try-scoring opportunities in the match, and took all of them. Well done to them for keeping composure.

The Cheetahs, heck I don`t know anymore. Excellent performance by the pack to secure close to 70% of possession, but possession alone does not win you a rugby match, if you don`t know what to do with the fkn ball. Some of the worst finishing, and decision-making, that I`ve ever seen.

And then there was also big Jannie Du Plessis- trying to take a bite out of crime, but biting off more than he could chew. Quite an appetite for a scrap by the big lad, and all of that was quite a mouthful. Seriously though, absolutely disgraceful biting incident, made all the worse by him being cleared of all wrong-doing. Seems like the citing commisioner couldn`t quite get his teeth into the issue, or did he just not have the stomach for it?

I want to know where is that Cheetahs team that start off with a great win in the beginning of the super 14!!!!!!

I want to know where is that Cheetahs team that start off with a great win in the beginning of the super 14!!!!!!
[/b]

Back in Bloem by the looks of things, apparently Rassie also left his coaching manual behind in his roof lapa!

Juan Smith was unlucky he didn't have support by his other loosies, whereas Masoe had good support with Collins & So'oialo. Its a bit of a mismatch 3 on 1.

Conrad Smith was still good at the tackle ball area.. If only Toeava could add that to his array of skills. Its something Umaga really excelled at.

Latest posts