• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 13: Brumbies v Crusaders

D

Dumbo

Match of the Round 2.
Big Club on Big club, battle of the Tasman… OK this one will be good to watch how the two heavy weights can do the business. (Crusaders ranked 1st and the Brumbies ranked 6th). If the Crusaders can take this one out then the semis are right in front of them. If the Brumbies can take it… there in the running.

Great game looming…

CRUSADERS:
15 Leon MacDonald, 14 Scott Hamilton, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Aaron Mauger, 11 Caleb Ralph, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Kevin Senio; 8 Mose Tuiali'i, 7 Richie McCaw ©, 6 Reuben Thorne, 5 Michael Paterson, 4 Ross Filipo, 3 Campbell Johnstone, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Ben Franks. Reserves: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Ben May, 18 Kieran Read, 19 Johnny Leo'o, 20 Andy Ellis, 21 Stephen Brett, 22 Rico Gear.

This is the last ever home match for Gregan,Larkham and JP...... HUGE HUGE game,

If they have Mortlock and Rathbone back this week, the Brumbies will win.

CAAARN BRUMBIES!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Crusaders!
[/b]

Ja, I reckon that the Crusaders got quite a few new fans from North of the Jukskei river this week. Amazing what happens in the quest for a semi spot.

Should be a cracker of a game. The Brumbies have looked more like the Brumbies of old since the return of Larkham, who really is the heart and soul of their backline. But the Crusaders are doing their normal thing, peaking at just the right time, and will most likely take out the win.

On form the Crusaders should win this one by about 30 points, but this is no normal match either. It's the final home game for Gregan, Larkham and Paul. Before the match commences the Eastern Stand of Canberra Stadium will be renamed the Gregan/Larkham Stand, by Chief Minister John Stanhope... admittedly it doesn't have the same ring to it as the Mal Meninga Stand, but it's growing on me (a LOT!). At the completion of the match Gregan and Larkham and maybe JP will give their final reflections and be presented with something. So there is plenty of emotion involved that may well get us home.

What's more, this is a home game and it is well known that the Brumbies always seem to play well against the Crusaders at the "Fortress". Actually, I think the Crusaders have only ever one three matches here - one of them being the 2000 final.

Hopefully a big crowd gets out to fairwell our greats and the home ground "advantage" can push us over the line! GO THE BRUMBIES!!!

By the way, Mortlock has returned, but Rathbone has been ruled out and may not take any further part in the Super 14 this season. Some people don't realise how problematic this injury is, but hopefully he'll be ready for the domestic tests and then the World Cup. Julian Huxley is also in doubt with a corked buttock - yes, that's right. So Adam Ashley-Cooper is on stand-by to fill the fullback position, otherwise he will fill the spare wing position.

I'm predicting an upset win to the Brumbies...Come on boys!!!! You can do it!!!

I'm calling this a draw.

Both teams have very good kickers and the teams defence has really stood out this year.

18 all.

Head to Head:

ACT BRUMBIES:
15 Julian Huxley, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Stirling Mortlock ©, 12 Gene Fairbanks, 11 Mark Gerrard, 10 Stephen Larkham, 9 George Gregan; 8 Stephen Hoiles, 7 George Smith, 6 Jone Tawake, 5 Mark Chisholm, 4 Adam Wallace-Harrison, 3 Guy Shepherdson, 2 Jeremy Paul, 1 Nic Henderson. Reserves: 16 Saia Faingaa, 17 Salesi Ma`afu, 18 Richard Stanford, 19 Julian Salvi, 20 Patrick Phibbs, 21 Peter Playford, 22 Francis Fainifo.

CRUSADERS:
15 Leon MacDonald, 14 Scott Hamilton, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Aaron Mauger, 11 Caleb Ralph, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Kevin Senio; 8 Mose Tuiali'i, 7 Richie McCaw ©, 6 Reuben Thorne, 5 Michael Paterson, 4 Ross Filipo, 3 Campbell Johnstone, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Ben Franks. Reserves: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Ben May, 18 Kieran Read, 19 Johnny Leo'o, 20 Andy Ellis, 21 Stephen Brett, 22 Rico Gear.

I wouldn't mind seeing AAC at fullback and Huxley at 12 bringing in the extra pace of Fainifo.

Agreed! Personally, I would say that Adam is better suited to fullback than Hux - and AAC is definately not a winger! Fainifo should definately be there for a game like this where our defence and pace out wide will win us the game.

Also, I find it perplxing that Loz has stuck with Deano Fairbanks. He has played some very good matches, but he's consistently managed to drop the ball all season.

Similar teams really, strong foward packs full of overachievers who work well as a unit, but average at best backlines bar at 9 and 10 (With the Exception of Mortlock at 13 for the Brumbies), who make their respective backline look better.

Fairbanks is good in defence but like you say he keeps dropping balls and his passing isn't quick enough.

IMO Fairbanks is p4p the best tackling back there is, the Brumbies are gonna need his defensive qualities and non stop energy if they are to stop the Crusaders tonight.

Huxley will defend at fullback, but i reckon he'll spend alot of the time in attack at 12. Well, thats what i hope.

It would be suicide to start a green Fainifo in a game like this, he's been pretty dissapointing in the limited time he's been given this year.

They just don't seem to give Fainifo any ball so he hasn't been able to show what hes got.

What about A. Mauger? Or do u think he's average also?
[/b]
Maugers been vastly overated since 2003 - he was injured a large chunk of 2004, did nothing much in 2005, and did nothing much again in 2006 except get overtaken by Luke McAlister on the end of year tour.

i reckon mauger has been in very good in attack and defense this year in the super14. but in the last 2-3 years i have noticed that he plays well in the super14 but when it comes to the all blacks he seems a bit lackluster.

Wow, what a game.

No tries but it was very enjoyable to watch, brilliant send off for the Brumbie oldies, gregan etc.

I TOLD YOU SO

Brumbies are the second best team in the competition and it would be a travesty if they didn't make the semis.They're the only team capable of beating the Cheats.

Brilliant stuff from Gregan and Larkham, greatest halves combination of all-time. Rugby wont be the same without them.

Latest posts