• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 13 - Brumbies v Highlanders

T

The TRUTH

4th placed Brumbies play host to the 10th placed Highlanders in what should be a cake walk for the ACT boys.

A bonus point win for the Brumbies should guarantee them a semi final spot...

Fisher remains hopeful over injured trio

Monday May 01 2006

Mortlock almost certain to take the field
stirling_mortlock_brumbies_try_200.jpeg

Brumbies head coach Laurie Fisher is confident of having the services of his injured backline trio - fly-half Gene Fairbanks, captain Stirling Mortlock and fellow centre Matt Giteau - for Saturday's Super 14 Week 13 clash with the Highlanders at Canberra Stadium.

The Brumbies trained Monday without six backline players, with Fairbanks and Giteau the main injury concerns heading into the weekend clash.

Fairbanks, who scored the opening try in last Saturday's 36-0 shutout of the Reds, did not return in the second half after limping from the field with an injured right knee at the half-time break.

The makeshift fly-half was rested from training Monday, but expects to run Tuesday after aggravating an existing low grade medial ligament tear.

"It's a similar injury to what I did against the Blues earlier this year - a Grade 1 medial - which is generally about seven to ten days recovery," he said.

"There's a little bit of pain in it today, but it's pretty stable so I'm expecting to have a run with the rehab group tomorrow, a day off Wednesday, then hopefully train with the team on Thursday."

Fisher said that while Mortlock was almost certain to take the field against the Highlanders, his centre partner Matt Giteau would be given until later in the week to prove his fitness.

"Stirling should be fine. He's carrying a bit of a shoulder injury but he has pulled up ok and we're very confident that he'll play," said Fisher.

"The report on Matt and Gene is good too. They didn't train today but they'll both do some running tomorrow and hopefully train with the team on Thursday."

Giteau has battled with bone bruising caused by repeated knocks above his right knee.

The star inside centre has worn padding on the bruised area during the past two matches to try and minimise contact on the injured area.

Fairbanks, who has been impressive at fly-half since taking over from Stephen Larkham two weeks ago, realises the importance of this weekend's match for the fourth-placed Brumbies.

"Things are going along well, the teams playing well and particularly our pack, which has made things easier for me at fly-half," said Fairbanks.

"Having said that, we know that this is a vital game for us and any loss could be the end of our season so I'm desperate to get out there and play this weekend."

link
[/b]

Cmon the Brumbies, hopefully a few upsets in the round get the Brumbies closer to a home semi.

Terrible news for the Brumbies!, just after Giteau announces he's leaving next year .... the Brumbies best backup looks like he's leaving to chase more cash overseas.

Canberra farewell for Brumby stalwart

Tuesday May 02 2006

Wilson to celebrate 50 games

Unheralded Brumbies back Joel Wilson will play his 50th Super 12/14 match against the Highlanders in Canberra on Saturday. His fiftieth match in Brumbies colours is also likely to be his last at Canberra Stadium, as the talented replacement back has indicated that he is bound to leave Australian shores next season.

Of his 49 matches to date, Wilson has played all but fifteen from the reserves bench. His only start this season came two weeks ago while Matt Giteau was nursing a knee injury.

"That's one of the great things about Joel," said Brumbies head coach Laurie Fisher.

"He's one of our senior players but has played a very unselfish role in the team.

"He's done a fantastic job from the bench or when he's come into the starting team, where he's performed well in a number of different positions. He gives us tremendous versatility," he said.

Wilson, who played through the junior ranks at Gordon alongside teammate Stirling Mortlock, is hoping Saturday night will not be his last match for the Brumbies at Canberra Stadium.

"At the moment its still possible for us to finish in the top two so hopefully I'll get one or two more games in Canberra," he said.

After winning the Sydney Colts premiership with Gordon in 1997, Wilson was invited to join the Brumbies for the 1998 pre-season but was lured away from rugby to join the North Sydney Bears.

After three years in league he returned to rugby, signing with the Brumbies in 2001.

"I enjoyed my time in league but rugby was my first passion and I've had a fantastic six years at the Brumbies," he said.

The Mudgee product indicated that he will look for an overseas contract next season.

"I'm turning 30 this year so the time is right for me to have a look at opportunities to finish my career overseas."

Wilson, who represented Australia A between 2001 and 2003, said that he had not been tempted to leave the Brumbies in search of a permanent starting position.

"The Brumbies has a reputation as a place where players enjoy their rugby as well as being able to work in the best rugby program in Australia," said Wilson.

"We've probably had the world's best backline through those years so I've been very happy to play a role alongside those guys," he said.
http://www.planet-rugby.com/Tournaments/Su...ory_50807.shtml
[/b]

Wilson has been an awesome servant for us, he may as well cash in while he still can. We have Anthony Faingaa coming along so it'll be good to give him a run next year.

Don't think thats going to happen Rassie... without Evans and Ginga Ryan the Highlanders are in no way shwoing the potential they showed in South Africa... they look like an NPC side. Plus the prick Mortlock is going off...

We don't look like an NPC team, the Otago NPC team would be this current Highlanders mob.

I am hoping NO i am praying the highlanders can beat the brumbies it would be so funny to see them miss out

Brumbies:
1 Bill Young 2 Jeremy Paul 3 Guy Shepherdson 4 Alister Campbell 5 Mark Chisholm 6 Daniel Heenan 7 George Smith 8 Adam Wallace-Harrison 9 George Gregan 10 Gene Fairbanks 11 Mark Gerrard 12 Matt Giteau 13 Stirling Mortlock © 14 Clyde Rathbone 15 Adam Ashley-Cooper SUBS:16 James McCormack 17 Nic Henderson 18 Radike Samo 19 Julian Salvi 20 Patrick Phibbs 21 Joel Wilson 22 Ben Batger

brumbies should win this fairly easily. the highlanders just don't have the depth other teams have. would be good if the highlanders could win would make the race for the semis a bit more interesting but i can't see them wining myslef

Half time 14-15 Highlanders

Have to say that Gerrard try looked pretty good on the replay...... fair enuff though.

Unbelievable. The one time I don't back the Highlanders in the comp, and they f***ing win it.

28-26 or something like that.

YEBO!!!! BRILJANT!!! Sharks need to get 5 log points now and it becomes really interesting!!

Man the NZ teams are doing a good job off screwing up the aussie teams places.

The Highlanders join the Chiefs in the upsets of the week.

OMG OMG OMG...My prayers were answered i could not believe the highlanders did it was a bloody good game to watch it had me on the edge of my seat most of the game

Random question for anyone who knows:

What has happened to Andrew Blowers this season? Last I heard he was in the Highlanders squad, and I haven't seen his name mentioned since.

Ben Blair knocked him in the head in a pre season game, and he never recovered.

Originally posted by Southern man@May 7 2006, 12:47 PM
Ben Blair knocked him in the head in a pre season game, and he never recovered.
He had a few spells out with concussion when he was at Saints.

I hope that hasn't spelled the end of his career, otherwisehe should have just stayed here. :(

Yellow card might turn to red for Wallaby

Sunday May 07 2006

Gregan to face DC after his spear

Wallaby captain and Brumbies scrum-half George Gregan might miss his team's crucial Super 14 showdown with the Crusaders in Christchurch on Friday, after he was cited for an ugly spear tackle in his team's 28-26 loss to Highlanders in Canberra at the weekend.

Gregan was yellow carded for the incident in the 44th minute of the match, when he lifted up Highlanders wing Richard Kahui and dropped him dangerously on his head.

On Sunday it was announced that Gregan was cited for the dangerous tackle in which Kahui landed heavily on his head and neck.

Gregan will appear before a SANZAR judiciary committee in Canberra on Monday.

If banned, which now seems likely, Gregan will miss Friday's crucial date with the Crusaders - in which the Brumbies need to collect at least one point to secure their play-off hopes.

Western Force utility back Scott Staniforth and Otago loose forward Craig Newby were both handed one-match suspensions for dangerous tackles earlier this season.

But there is also the possibility of a longer suspension, which would rule Gregan out of the semi-finals and Final.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/News/story_50955.shtml
[/b]

I reckon KAHOOOIEEE!!!(sp?) should be suspended for a week just for getting dumped on his head by little George
no.gif

Latest posts