• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 9: Crusaders v Waratahs

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 5 2006, 10:44 AM
Tah's have a great chance in this game if they can control it upfront... The Crusaders have been nothing short of devestating to every team they've played and have punished bad rucking with the skills of McCaw, which has often led to quick tries while the opposition is still in attack mode. However, the Tah's have their own nuisance ball stealer in Phil Waugh, and if he has a good game, then the Tah's have the ability to do the exact same thing to the Crusaders... but they'll have to play very tight, mistake free footy, because you just can't give the Crusaders an inch.
I personally think it'll be bloody tough, but I've gotta back my boys to win!

CARN THE TAHS!
That's some spiritual **** right there.

Even if the Waratahs don't take this one, as long as Mat Rogers returns they have a great chance to win the ***le.

Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 4 2006, 07:40 PM
True, very true, it`s a big game! Let`s see Tahs how will play vs a top team! IMO, for sure it`s not going to be 86-17 like in 02 , i guess it`s going to be only 96-0 :D :D
96 - 19 was the score that day....

Crusaders had seven minutes to score another try and make it over 100....but they showed mercy....if any team gets 100 points put on them in the super 10/12/14.....the comp would be seen as a laughing stock!

Crusaders have been in SEVEN of the ten Super 12 finals! Taking out five of those (50% strike rate championship record).

Unbeaten season in 2002!!!!!.....Blues almost matched it in 97 but had a draw against the Bulls in their first game.

Crusaders lead the Waratahs 7 victories to 4 in Super matches.

Only once have they lost to the Waratahs at home

The Crusaders have scored 44 tries against the Waratahs while conceding 28 from them.

They have amassed so far 358 points against the Tahs while conceding from them 261.

History pointss to another Crusaders win......

....EXCEPT!!!!!!......the Tahs defence at the moment is phenomenal!!! Defence may beat the Crusaders who have yet to really fire.....

...but what if this is the week that the Crusaders fire???? Won't happen. The Crusaders only begin to pick up 2 rounds from the semis...and we are no where near that.

96-19 (63 - nil at half time!!!)....the day a team stumbled across a Crusaders team with ALL their guns firing.....in fairness to the Tahs that day.....it could have been anyone......

Crusaders well not assured of victory would have to be firm favourites if you have been watching the competition at all. tahs struggled badly against the cheetahs last week and will be punished for sloppy play like that by the crusaders. The crusaders are just too good at the moment and the tahs not in great form. it will either be close game with the crusaders winning or a big 13+ win. just can't see the tahs wining it at all

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 5 2006, 04:49 PM
Crusaders well not assured of victory would have to be firm favourites if you have been watching the competition at all. tahs struggled badly against the cheetahs last week and will be punished for sloppy play like that by the crusaders. The crusaders are just too good at the moment and the tahs not in great form. it will either be close game with the crusaders winning or a big 13+ win. just can't see the tahs wining it at all
Both teams have had spotchy and brilliant form in parts though... The Waratah's easily beat the Sharks, while the Crusaders were incredibly lucky to even beat them... And they've looked vulnerable in several games (so have the Tah's), but their incredible ability to feed off mistakes has saved them time and again. Also, they haven't really been out of NZ much, so travel's been a bit easier on them so far. Seriously, the Tah's are a good chance of beating them, and lets not forget that untill the 2 losses last year, the Tah's were at 4 and 5 victories against them, which was one of the better records of any team.

If you trust your Tahs so much, bet on them, i think the bookmaker`s odds might get you some real money in your pocket! :D

Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 5 2006, 05:56 PM
If you trust your Tahs so much, bet on them, i think the bookmaker`s odds might get you some real money in your pocket! :D
Way ahead of you :p

'Tahs to tackle Crusaders head-on

Tuesday April 04 2006

'The scoreboard showed that we had the better defence'
Defence will hold the key when the two teams leading the Super 14 try-scoring race - the Crusaders and Waratahs - go head to head in a crucial Round Nine showdown at Jade Stadium in Christchurch on Saturday.

The Waratahs, who top the table have also scored the most tries - 27 in eight outings at an average of more than three tries a match. The Crusaders, in second place (just one point behind the 'Tahs) have scored 26 tries in seven game - an average of almost four tries per game.

These two, along with the third-placed Hurricanes (24 tries in eight games) are the only teams that average three tries or more a game - in a season dominated by defence.

And they are also the defensively most sound teams in the tournament.

The Waratahs have been rock solid - conceding just six tries in their eight games (less than a try a game). The Crusaders and Brumbies (on nine tries in seven games) are next best.

So it is not surprising to see Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie talk of the importance of defence - rather than attack - when he discusses his team's showdown with the Crusaders on Friday.

According to McKenzie believes his team's defence will be their best chance of ending the Crusaders' unbeaten run this year.

McKenzie said he was "happy" with his team's defensive effort in their 26-3 win over the Cheetahs last week and added that they have the systems (defensively) to keep even the dangerous Crusaders at bay.

"They [the Cheetahs] have one of the best defences in the competition and make the most dominant tackles. But in the end the scoreboard showed that we had the better defence.

"We'll put some pressure on the Crusaders in our own way and maybe force them to make some mistakes.

"People will probably write off our prospects playing over there [Christchurch], but we had a really tough workout and it exposed a few things in our game that we can certainly attend to.

"The Crusaders are certainly a different sort of side and they will punish us if we make mistakes. They will punish us on the scoreboard probably more than the Cheetahs did."
[/b]

link

'Tahs to wage Waugh against Crusaders

Wednesday April 05 2006

'He'll play a critical role at the breakdown'
Waratahs vice-captain Phil Waugh will resume his role as starting openside flank in the Super 14 Round Nine blockbuster against the Crusaders at Jade Stadium in Christchurch on Friday.

Waugh played off the bench in last week's 26-3 win over the Cheetahs, to freshen up for the second half of the season.

"He's one of the world's best players and he'll play a critical role at the breakdown as usual," said head coach Ewen McKenzie.

Matt Dunning returns to starting loosehead prop after Benn Robinson suffered a shoulder injury against the Cheetahs last week.

"Matt's trained in the position all week so rather than rush Benn straight back in; it makes sense to play him off the bench," McKenzie said.

The Waratahs have opted for a traditional 4/3 bench this week.

"Another tough decision for us to make as Will Caldwell is the man to miss out this time but we believe this is the right balance for the Crusaders," explained McKenzie.

[/b]

link

Waratahs: 15 Peter Hewat, 14 Wendell Sailor, 13 Morgan Turinui, 12 Shaun Berne, 11 Lote Tuqiri, 10 Daniel Halangahu, 9 Chris Whitaker (captain), 8 David Lyons, 7 Phil Waugh (vice-captain), 6 Wycliff Palu, 5 Daniel Vickerman, 4 Alex Kanaar, 3 Al Baxter, 2 Adam Freier, 1 Matt Dunning.
Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Benn Robinson, 18 Rocky Elsom, 19 Stephen Hoiles, 20 Brett Sheehan, 21 Sam Norton-Knight, 22 Ben Jacobs.

Norton-Knight and Elsom on the bench :%#%#:

Norton Knight is a great player, but he does look fragile at times, and I seriously think he's sometimes a better player when he's coming in off the bench... It may prove to be a master stroke, so don't knock it yet.

I've got no real problem with Palu holding his spot ,he's been amazing the last few weeks. The Tahs are just blessed to have 3 of the best blindside flankers in the comp.(you can give the Force Hoiles next year :D )

I just think Sam is too good to be sitting on the bench, especially when there best fly-half is injured and the reason Ewan signed him was so he can play flyhalf (his preferred position) and he's only got 20 minutes game time at 10 all year :wacko:

I can see Halangahu trying to do his silly little runs against the Crusaders and getting put on his arse by Mccaw ,turning the ball over and the Crusaders taking the ball 70m down the other end and scoring :lol:

maybe im wrong,i hope he plays well............ just dont run(too much) Daniel!!!

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 5 2006, 07:26 PM
I've got no real problem with Palu holding his spot ,he's been amazing the last few weeks. The Tahs are just blessed to have 3 of the best blindside flankers in the comp.(you can give the Force Hoiles next year :D )

I just think Sam is too good to be sitting on the bench, especially when there best fly-half is injured and the reason Ewan signed him was so he can play flyhalf (his preferred position) and he's only got 20 minutes game time at 10 all year :wacko:

I can see Halangahu trying to do his silly little runs against the Crusaders and getting put on his arse by Mccaw ,turning the ball over and the Crusaders taking the ball 70m down the other end and scoring :lol:

maybe im wrong,i hope he plays well............ just dont run(too much) Daniel!!!
You have a point, but you can't really beat the crusaders playing conservative rugby either... You need a daring 5 eighth or they'll get you in the end.

Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 5 2006, 06:56 PM
I bet on the Tahs in last year final becasue the odds were paying very well....and I always get insurance money in case the Crusaders lose.........but in the end the bookies got it right....and got my money.......small price to pay for a Crusaders victory......

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 5 2006, 05:49 PM
That might have something to do with the fact that you're an idiot.

or that I have seen the crusaders play a lot of game and also seen how the waratahs have been going. i still say it will be tough going for the tahs.

Head to Head:
Crusaders: 1 - Greg Somerville, 2 - Corey Flynn, 3 - Campbell Johnstone, 4 - Chris Jack, 5 - Ross Filipo, 6 - Reuben Thorne, 7 - Richie McCaw (Captain), 8 - Mose Tuiali'i, 9 - Andrew Ellis, 10 - Daniel Carter, 11 - Scott Hamilton, 12 - Aaron Mauger, 13 - Caleb Ralph, 14 - Rico Gear, 15 - Leon MacDonald.
Reserves: 16 - Tone Kopelani, 17 - Wyatt Crockett, 18 - Brad Mika, 19 Johnny Leo'o, 20 Kevin Senio, 21 - Cameron McIntyre, 22 - Casey Laulala.

Waratahs: 1 - Matt Dunning, 2 - Adam Freier, 3 - Al Baxter, 4 - Alex Kanaar, 5 - Daniel Vickerman, 6 - Wycliff Palu, 7 - Phil Waugh, 8 - David Lyons, 9 - Chris Whitaker (Captain), 10 - Daniel Halangahu, 11 - Lote Tuqiri, 12 - Shaun Berne, 13 - Morgan Turinui, 14 - Wendell Sailor, 15 - Peter Hewat.
Reserves: 16 - Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 - Benn Robinson, 18 - Rocky Elsom, 19 - Stephen Hoiles, 20 - Brett Sheehan, 21 - Sam Norton-Knight, 22 - Ben Jacobs, 23 - Will Caldwell.
---------------------------
There's gonna' be some good match up's in this one...

Yeah....Peter Hewats chance to redeem himself from chasing shadows last year....

Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 5 2006, 06:56 PM
the day i dont bet on the TAHS, is the day i am rolling in the grave
i think i speak for alot of NSWelshman in that regard

Tahs - 1-12 win - paying over $3.00...........

normally i tick the 13+ box but not against Scribe's Tribe

:bleh!:

Waugh turns up the heat on McCaw

Wednesday April 05 2006

All Black star labelled a 'serial offender'
The Richie McCaw breakdown debate took another intriguing twist on the even of the top of the table Super 14 encounter between the Crusaders and the Waratahs in Christchurch on Friday.

Despite receiving support for his style of play from high-ranking refereeing officials, the Waratahs turned up the heat on the Crusaders captain as they arrived in New Zealand - labelling him a serial offender at the breakdown.

Waratahs flank Phil Waugh and McCaw main rival in the battle at the breakdown said he can't understand why referees have failed to crack down on his renegade tactics.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph Waugh said McCaw gets away with far more than other players.

"You watch him play and he does get away with a lot of things that other players probably wouldn't at the tackle area," Waugh told the newspaper.

"He's got a history of that and a history of getting away with it. I certainly watch games, watch him, and think: How does he get away with that?

"He got picked up a fair bit last week. But I was still surprised he got away with as much as he did."

Waugh was prepared to outline where he believes Super 14 officials have been lenient on McCaw, while Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie said he would have no complaints this week so long as both flanks were treated equally by South African referee Jonathan Kaplan.

"He makes the tackle, lies on the tackled player, and he's allowed to get away with it," Waugh said.

"So we'll be doing everything we can to clear him out of that area when he does make a tackle so he won't have the opportunity to slow the ball down.

"Then there's diving in on the ball, getting his hands on the ball and then getting back on his feet. That's clearly ... killing the ball."

Others complain that McCaw's reputation as arguably the world's best forward somehow earns him the license to join rucks and mauls from the side and not "through the gate" at the back of the breakdown as the laws demand.

For all his spoiling, McCaw has never received a yellow card in Super 14 or Tests for persistent offences. Nor for that matter has Waugh.

"But I don't give away enough penalties," Waugh said. "Not like Richie."

[/b]

link

lol what a crack up. mcCaw is not the world's best no 7 for nothing mr waugh. I suggest waugh studies the video again and takes notes of how to play the position

Well that’s a lot of crap... everyone knows Waugh can't use words that have more than one syllable

Originally posted by ak47+Apr 6 2006, 06:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rassie
@Apr 5 2006, 06:56 PM
If you trust your Tahs so much, bet on them, i think the bookmaker`s odds might get you some real money in your pocket!  :D
the day i dont bet on the TAHS, is the day i am rolling in the grave
i think i speak for alot of NSWelshman in that regard

Tahs - 1-12 win - paying over $3.00...........

normally i tick the 13+ box but not against Scribe's Tribe

:bleh!: [/b]
Hmmmmm....I may bet on the tahs ten dollars if the odds improve.....

....got to have the insurance money in case the Crusaders lose...........

Latest posts