• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

I'm in London at the moment and am shocked at how much speeding and dangerous driving there is going on. So many drivers treating pedestrians with utter contempt at junctions and just generally. I was walking along a pavement and was almost hit by a car that came tearing out of a petrol station (across the pavement and on to the road). Seen a few other examples too. Has ULEZ made them more angry or has London always been this bad? I see there's a TV campaign saying there were over 1000 deaths in London caused by speeding last year. That's a shocking statistic.

I'm in London at the moment and am shocked at how much speeding and dangerous driving there is going on. So many drivers treating pedestrians with utter contempt at junctions and just generally. I was walking along a pavement and was almost hit by a car that came tearing out of a petrol station (across the pavement and on to the road). Seen a few other examples too. Has ULEZ made them more angry or has London always been this bad? I see there's a TV campaign saying there were over 1000 deaths in London caused by speeding last year. That's a shocking statistic.
Depends where you are in London GM - central London? definitely more bikes, which is a good thing. Ulez has just meant fewer cars pre 2006 for petrol and 2010? For diesel cars. Drivers are still angry because they are still stuck in traffic and it's not pleasant driving in London in general.

Depends where you are in London GM - central London? definitely more bikes, which is a good thing. Ulez has just meant fewer cars pre 2006 for petrol and 2010? For diesel cars. Drivers are still angry because they are still stuck in traffic and it's not pleasant driving in London in general.

Ealing Broadway and Brentford. Guess it could a big city thing where people tend to be in more of a rush and with stress levels higher etc.

Ealing Broadway and Brentford. Guess it could a big city thing where people tend to be in more of a rush and with stress levels higher etc.
Yeh, that's why I don't drive in London anymore - that and the congestion charge.

This is exactly why drivers shouldn't be on their mobiles even when stationary in traffic.

Ah, the slight roll forwards when he knocked on her window as she thought he was knocking because it was clear.

Ah, the slight roll forwards when he knocked on her window as she thought he was knocking because it was clear.
She was in her own bubble like a lot of mobile phone drivers. Studies have shown that they are distracted 4-5 seconds - thinking about the message they have read or typed after they have put down their phone. Lucky for the family crossing in front in this instance she didn't roll forward anymore.

Studies have shown that they are distracted 4-5 seconds - thinking about the message they have read or typed after they have put down their phone. Lucky for the family crossing in front in this instance she didn't roll forward anymore.
Are there any studies about the impact that messing about with a camera, narrating a video and playing pretend policeman while cycling has on safety?

Are there any studies about the impact that messing about with a camera, narrating a video and playing pretend policeman while cycling has on safety?
Doubt it. I don't see what he's doing wrong personally. They shouldn't be on their phone in a 2 tonne vehicle - which does a lot more damage. They are the issue not Mikey who just submits evidence to the police and up to them to prosecute.

He does spend a lot of time peering into cars rather than looking where he's going though.

I don't have an issue with what he's doing, he's just so fundamentally unlikeable as he goes about it. Seems like a right jumped up twat.

He does spend a lot of time peering into cars rather than looking where he's going though.

I don't have an issue with what he's doing, he's just so fundamentally unlikeable as he goes about it. Seems like a right jumped up twat.
I think it's just that peeps here don't like to be told what to do - especially by a fellow citizen/non-police. The issue is there are so few cameras and police to catch mobile phone drivers, who would otherwise get away with it. It's left up to Joe Public like him with a camera to do the job for them. Mikey lost his father to a drunk driver, which is his reason for doing this. The abuse he gets on social media and threats he gets, and he still does it. He only uploads the videos after the driver gets due process.

But there really should be a public campaign like drink driving to educate public about mobile phone driving and not wait for drivers to learn when they get that NIP through the post. That is the issue not really the likes of Mikey peering into driver's cars catching them.

I think it's just that peeps here don't like to be told what to do - especially by a fellow citizen/non-police.
That's the point. He can't tell them what to do. Well, he can, but he can be told to eff
off as he holds no authority.

Film them, report them, fine. But if you're going to report them then don't lecture them as well. It's like having to do a speed awareness course and then still getting points and a fine.

I saw one video of him lecturing a woman for having the temerity to walk on the bit of the shared walkway that HE wanted to cycle on. His opening gambit was "in my country"… well we're not your country mush so shove it.

That's the point. He can't tell them what to do. Well, he can, but he can be told to eff
off as he holds no authority.
I was walking when I saw one white van man mount the pavement- mobile phone in one hand whilst steering with the other before parking up. But I wasn't wearing a go pro or had my phone to hand. Told him what he he did and he just walked off.

Sometimes it's just a civic duty as well otherwise they either don't know or care and get away with it. At least they know and can't blame anyone but themselves if they are caught. And they are likely to do it again.
Mike just makes his ones more public.
Film them, report them, fine. But if you're going to report them then don't lecture them as well. It's like having to do a speed awareness course and then still getting points and a fine.

I saw one video of him lecturing a woman for having the temerity to walk on the bit of the shared walkway that HE wanted to cycle on. His opening gambit was "in my country"… well we're not your country mush so shove it.
A lot of the views he gets are based on reactions he gets from the drivers. There are some who say "fair cop" and others who are just damn nasty and show their true colours.

And a lot of videos now he does now just film and report and then go without any lecture.

Last edited:
I think most drivers know they shouldn't use a mobile whilst driving. If you get caught it's your own fault really. I would appreciate him cathching the amount of red light jumping, no lights etc in Cambridge. The problem being there's no way to ID or report cyclists

I do think there is a big difference to civic duty and being a vigilante. Where one is deliberately going out to catch people. If he gets assaulted, although it's wrong he has to take some responsibility.

I don't know how much he makes from his social media. He could simply give the footage to the police without putting out in the public domain He's still raising awarness by the hundreds of people he catched a year.

Latest posts