• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rua Tipoki set to leave Munster

M

monkeypigeon

Munster management confirmed today that Rua Tipoki will be returning to New Zealand at the end of the season.

Timpoki has been hampered by injury problems since October and has unfortunately been able to play very little competative rugby.

http://munsterrugby.ie/9495.php (beneath the team announcement)

Everyone in Munster will be sad to see him go. A munster legend no doubt.

Luckily Munster have no shortage of talent in the Centre, with Mafi, Earls and Barry Murphy all players with bags of ability.

He'll be a loss but, as you say, Munster have three other centres who are in outstanding form. Given Tipoki's age and recent injury history, it's no surprise that he's not getting a new deal.

What does surprise me somewhat is that he's not being retained in a coaching role. When he arrived Munster centre play was in disarray. His influence has made this area one of the strengths of the team. He could become an outstanding position coach.

I was reading about this tuesday in the evening echo, they were speculating that munster are looking to sign Jean de Villiers as a replacement. Has anyone else heard anything or is it just random speculation?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (doniem @ Apr 23 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was reading about this tuesday in the evening echo, they were speculating that munster are looking to sign Jean de Villiers as a replacement. Has anyone else heard anything or is it just random speculation?[/b]
I've heard rumours but nothing has been confirmed. De Villiers would give the Munster backline serious options if he did arrive. How do you select just two from Earls, Mafi, Murphy and JDV?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Apr 23 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He'll be a loss but, as you say, Munster have three other centres who are in outstanding form. Given Tipoki's age and recent injury history, it's no surprise that he's not getting a new deal.

What does surprise me somewhat is that he's not being retained in a coaching role. When he arrived Munster centre play was in disarray. His influence has made this area one of the strengths of the team. He could become an outstanding position coach.[/b]

think that's being a bit harsh on Halstead, he was a revelation for Munster the first year they won the HEC. Granted Tipoki has brought a huge amount to the table and has improved the situtation from what it was but not quite from a state of disarray.

Latest posts