• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 06 First Trailer!!

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Dec 17 2005, 12:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Dec 17 2005, 12:23 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Dec 17 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Dec 17 2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Ride The Cliche@Dec 16 2005, 07:40 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Dec 16 2005, 02:09 AM
I still think that Rugby 2001 was the best in the EA series so far.  That was, and still is great fun to play.

I think gamers have really missed out on getting a decent rugby game when EA went with HB studios, instead of carrying on with Creative assembly...........

Rugby 2001 had the bones of a very good game - even more remarkable because rugby 2001 was changed from a PS1 game to a playstation 2 game during the very final stages of development.

Since rugby 2001 was produced rugby games have struggled to gain that same fluency of open play (running and passing), and have not had that "pick up and play" ability that rugby 2001 offered.

Todays rugby games tend to concentrate on the intricacies of the sport, rather then getting the core gameplay right.

with Creative Assembly I think we would now have the definitive rugby ***le and would have probably had it for some time.

Very good team which was proven with both Rugby 2001 which showed promice and also ARL 96 which I played to death. Nothing fancy but playability in adundance.

Absolutely agree with this. Rugby 2001 was an early PS2 game and the first real shot at rugby in a while, but it was dam fun to play and had all the foundations in place for a great game! It's just such a shame the series had to go to HB, because ultimately it sent the series backwards...
I definately played Rugby 2001 more than 2004 and 2005 togeather, and that says a lot.
And, on top of that, look at what CA have done since then! Take the Total War series! Look at how they have created something like that and just improved and improved. When you look at their website you can just tell that they enjoy sports as well, and on top of that, they seem to be a good humoured, down to earth bunch as well...

What have HB got? [/b]
Ummmm... a Public Relations system so bad that it makes Centrelink's look good?

Originally posted by Ripper@Dec 17 2005, 01:01 PM
Imagine that, a SIDHE homer laughing at HB's and EA's PR...
It's not that hard really considering that no matter how bad Sidhe can get with their own PR they do actually TALK with the public through their forums (even if they are starting to run it like a concentration camp), whereas I'm yet to meet someone who has received a reply from HB... Their PR system is purely in place because they had one spare email account it seems.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 16 2005, 02:09 AM
Last yera all they did from 04 was improve the graphics, if we're being honest.

The goal-kicking was exactly the same.
The fend animations were mostly exactly the same.

I can't believe that they have released Cricket 2005 and Rugby 2005 which use the same game engines as their predecessors. From the look of that new trailer, not enough has been changed to earn the sales they think they warrant.
Now let's not go too far.

The goal kicking was incredibly different as the accuracy metre was included so the wind and where you pt the arrow was more important. I liked the '05 kickng system and it probably should be kept.

Fend animations??? I would like to remind you that there was no such thing as a fend in Rugby '04 so that was a new thing. It can work well if timing is right in '05, but the system needs to be overhauled and should probably become the shoulder buttons or face buttons, to hard to get right on right analogue stick.

Personally I think the right analogue stick should be used to direct the support play in attack and AI controlled players when you're on defence. Hands in the ruck should just become say 'O'.

Also the rucking system need to be overhauled with the option to aggresively ruck or just clean out. You should be able to direct the position where your players enter ruck/mauls, but if they don't enter from the back they risk being penalised. This would be good because if they don't get caught they will have a better chance of stealing the ball. Rucking should be more even so that a stronger team doesn't always get the ball back, cleaning out and drive is necessary.

The above paragraph brings me to my next point that there must be a ref on the field. So that you can go into a ruck or maul from the side and if it is right in front of the ref you'll get penalised. Timing should be the key.

Mauls need to happen more often like in Rugby '01 when if you were caught in a tackle you could form a maul instead o going to ground. Also in this position it is vital that there is the possibility of stripping the ball or you can control one of you players to clear off a defender. You should be able to start mini-mauls from forwards picking the ball up at the ruck and turning.

Cricket 2005 and Rugby 2005 were completely new engines for the series and had nothing to do with the predecessor.

why dont they show rucks or mauls?
kicking system looks the same.
crappy stepping animation still there.
i wonder if the offload is an animation like the stepping.

im not holding my breath on this one

i've never played rugby 2001 on PS2 But i've bought the Pc version (release one or two years before) and it was ****!!!!! There was nothing good to keep in this version. I'd like to try the console version that look to be better.

I'm going out on a limb and i'll say that rugby 2006 is going to be another terrible game, like the rest of the EA tosh. until some Japanese company like KONAMI come along we will never get a satisfying rugby union game. Sorry to disappoint but it true, like it or not EA make a right mess when it comes to Rugby games.

With EA, it is a learning curve.

They get better and better. 20*4 was terrible, 2005 was satisfying but far from perfect, and I feel 2006 will be a big step-up in the sports gaming market.

Originally posted by Jacko+Dec 17 2005, 04:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jacko @ Dec 17 2005, 04:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Dec 16 2005, 02:09 AM
Last yera all they did from 04 was improve the graphics, if we're being honest.

The goal-kicking was exactly the same.
The fend animations were mostly exactly the same.

I can't believe that they have released Cricket 2005 and Rugby 2005 which use the same game engines as their predecessors.  From the look of that new trailer, not enough has been changed to earn the sales they think they warrant.
Now let's not go too far.

The goal kicking was incredibly different as the accuracy metre was included so the wind and where you pt the arrow was more important. I liked the '05 kickng system and it probably should be kept.

Fend animations??? I would like to remind you that there was no such thing as a fend in Rugby '04 so that was a new thing. It can work well if timing is right in '05, but the system needs to be overhauled and should probably become the shoulder buttons or face buttons, to hard to get right on right analogue stick.

Personally I think the right analogue stick should be used to direct the support play in attack and AI controlled players when you're on defence. Hands in the ruck should just become say 'O'.

Also the rucking system need to be overhauled with the option to aggresively ruck or just clean out. You should be able to direct the position where your players enter ruck/mauls, but if they don't enter from the back they risk being penalised. This would be good because if they don't get caught they will have a better chance of stealing the ball. Rucking should be more even so that a stronger team doesn't always get the ball back, cleaning out and drive is necessary.

The above paragraph brings me to my next point that there must be a ref on the field. So that you can go into a ruck or maul from the side and if it is right in front of the ref you'll get penalised. Timing should be the key.

Mauls need to happen more often like in Rugby '01 when if you were caught in a tackle you could form a maul instead o going to ground. Also in this position it is vital that there is the possibility of stripping the ball or you can control one of you players to clear off a defender. You should be able to start mini-mauls from forwards picking the ball up at the ruck and turning.

Cricket 2005 and Rugby 2005 were completely new engines for the series and had nothing to do with the predecessor. [/b]
I had a bit of a braint-fart when I mentioned the goal-kicking. You're right it is different in Rugby 2005.

As for the fend, I'm sure there was a fend in Rugby 2004. Perhaps it was just an automatic thing where the player would sometimes perform a fend-animation though. What I meant really was that they use the same animations.

When you say that the engine for Rugby 05 and Cricket 05 are different from their predecessors I think you are entirely wrong. The graphics engine is brand new for teh series, but I'm almost sure that the game engine isn't a complete overhaul.

Not holding out too much hope so far as Rugby games go this year.

Originally posted by lecdg2@Dec 18 2005, 03:19 AM
i've never played rugby 2001 on PS2 But i've bought the Pc version (release one or two years before) and it was ****!!!!! There was nothing good to keep in this version. I'd like to try the console version that look to be better.
I disagree, i thought the game was great for the time and i was bitterly disappointed with 2004 when it came out. It was completely different and there was no real mauls, rucking system, or fends which you had in 01. Also in 01 fends were simple and dummies worked! 2005 was a step in the right direction, but still needs a lot of work Creative Assembl need to make another rugby game in my opinion.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 19 2005, 04:53 AM
As for the fend, I'm sure there was a fend in Rugby 2004. Perhaps it was just an automatic thing where the player would sometimes perform a fend-animation though. What I meant really was that they use the same animations.

When you say that the engine for Rugby 05 and Cricket 05 are different from their predecessors I think you are entirely wrong. The graphics engine is brand new for teh series, but I'm almost sure that the game engine isn't a complete overhaul.

Not holding out too much hope so far as Rugby games go this year.
SERIOUSLY!
<

GO PLAY RUGBY 2004 YOU ASSMAN!!!!

its not even playable....

thats really insulting when you say rugby 05 is the same as r**** 04

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
When you say that the engine for Rugby 05 and Cricket 05 are different from their predecessors I think you are entirely wrong.  The graphics engine is brand new for teh series, but I'm almost sure that the game engine isn't a complete overhaul.[/b]

like DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF!?!?!

are you blind? r**** 04 had a bunch of potato sacks with legs running around like spastics!

rugby2004_1.jpg

now compare it to this...

925772_20050215_screen002.jpg

the one at the bottom is rugby 2005 if you didnt realise
<

Read the post again...

He meant that the engine that powered the game-gfx, sound and gui, the FIFA engine. The "engine" powering the games AI and logic, clearly was the same (for the most part) as 2004.

Zombie,

Thanks very much for pointing that out to him (kinkon89) as I would have done it in a far more insulting way. Actually, ******** to that, let's get insulting.

==================

kinkon,

I presume the "89" in your name refers to the year in which you were born. Although, when I was 15/16 i was able to read simple English sentences.

Don't call me an "ASSMAN" (whatever that is) you little cocksucker. People like you shouldn't wind me up, but you do. You don't deserve my time but you get it.

You clearly are not an intelligent person, as my post clearly states that the graphics engine is new, and then you proceed to post two screenshots asking me if I can tell the difference between the two. ******.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 19 2005, 11:54 PM
kinkon,

I presume the "89" in your name refers to the year in which you were born. Although, when I was 15/16 i was able to read simple English sentences.

Don't call me an "ASSMAN" (whatever that is) you little cocksucker. People like you shouldn't wind me up, but you do. You don't deserve my time but you get it.
i was joking about the assman....you assman!

if you wanna have an insulting argument...ill chop your dick off and throw it into the ocean...leading to you crying....ask neh
<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You clearly are not an intelligent person, as my post clearly states that the graphics engine is new, and then you proceed to post two screenshots asking me if I can tell the difference between the two.  ******.[/b]

well can you tell the difference?...the one at the bottom is rugby 2005...its a rugby game, made after rugby 2004...which you love so dearly...but sadly its a crap game (no offense)
<

oh and no there was no fend in rugby 2004....it was the guy just stopping on the spot.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 19 2005, 06:53 AM
The graphics engine is brand new for teh series, but I'm almost sure that the game engine isn't a complete overhaul.
Okay, I'm not sure if I understand exactly what a game engine does then, because I found every aspect of playing R*gby 2**4 completely unbearable. All movements, all set pieces, all everything seemed to lack one ounce of fluidity and response.

Whereas with Rugby 2005, I'm still playing it to this day and enjoying it. Granted, a game or two a week at most, but still enjoying it.

I felt that everything in Rugby 2005 was an overhaul to what it was in 2**4.

If, technically, the use of 'overhaul' should have different connotations in game development, and that the changes between these two games fall under the category of Tweaks (to what was already laid down) -- Then these are some big ass serious mofo'ing tweaks that happened.

I'm well aware of what a game engine does.

I think that becuase there are so many things which are practically identical in the two games, that it is more than likely they made changes to the existing engine rather than re-write it completely.

If they had re-written it, surely they would not be using the same animations over and over, and surely not the EXACT same lineout system. Honestly, with the lineouts there is no difference whatsoever.

Okay they may have changed how the players run and pass, etc. but even the way they ball comes out of the ruck into the scrummies hands is the same. The same way of judging who wins the ball in a ruck seems to be the same - remember the guy who just lies the wrong side of the ball to win it, which was done in Rugby 2004 as well?

Also, the way the momentum bars work is exactly the same, and that could easily have been made more "intelligent".

Obviously there were some changes made to the game engine, but I would bet my ass on most of the code (including the physics, which, incidentally are the same in the two games, oh yeah, and the open-play kicking is the same) being the same perhaps with some minor tweaks.

Of course, we're never going to know for sure.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Dec 13 2005, 06:49 PM
Did you notice how useless the grubber still looks?
Odd you say that, I was awesome with grubbers in 05's version. Infact I still am, scored many a try with it close to the try line.

Originally posted by davidson@Dec 14 2005, 11:00 PM
am i the only person who actually liked 2005 and still plays it?
its really not too bad in my opinion and for the first REAL attampt in the franchise, i was impressed. i dont think it needed an overhaul or anything drastic, and i think the new tweaks could push the game up a level and make it a great game.
Exactly my point, but then again I hardly get any Rugby over here, these other fellas are jaded, and want something more realistic to them, something like NFL 2K5 that we got here. They want that type of realism for them when it comes to their game.

In that regard, I kinda understand their pessimism, but for me, 05 was awesome, and 06 will be even more so!

It is all based on how much of it you see and get of it (Rugby) vs what you Dont get to see (me).

I hear all the negativity here, but I still read up......why? Because these brudahs know waaaaay more about the game than I will ever.

It is all on how you view things, right?

Latest posts