• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 Keeps Crashing On Startup

HarbourLord

Academy Player
Hi guys,
Hoping someone can help. Every time I try to start up Rugby 08 on PC (downloaded it from oldgamesdownload) it just freezes on the opening ***le screen and crashes. can't find anything here on the forums that's answered how to fix it so wondering if anyone can help?

Well, there's the topic here "Rugby 08 Exe anyone?" which is along the same lines of the problem you (and I) are having. The same thing happens to me when I try and load Rugby'06 or '08, it just drops straight back to desktop after the logo.

Some people have luck with a different .exe file, which someone kindly posted in the thread I mentioned, but it doesn't matter which one I try it never works on my new pc. Hopefully you have better luck.

Maybe too late but try using it in compability mode, an option in the properties of the .exe,that made it work for me, then i even disabled it and it keeps working

Maybe too late but try using it in compability mode, an option in the properties of the .exe,that made it work for me, then i even disabled it and it keeps working

Mine works perfectly on my Windows 11 laptop but refuses to boot uo on my ROG Ally which uses Windows 11.
Screen goes black as it wants to load the game then it just kicks me back to the desktop. Tried everything with no luck

Mine works perfectly on my Windows 11 laptop but refuses to boot uo on my ROG Ally which uses Windows 11.
Screen goes black as it wants to load the game then it just kicks me back to the desktop. Tried everything with no luck
Can you list all the hardware specs of your laptop and your PC?

Can you list all the hardware specs of your laptop and your PC?
My laptop is just a normal pc with no dedicated graphics cards or anything.
I just use it for personal stuff,
128gb ssd, 8GB ram, Intel I3 think 10th gen, bought new last year. (Rugby 08 runs fine here even with mods)

My ROG Ally is a handheld gaming PC from Asus that can basically play any game currently available.

AMD Ryzen™ Z1 Extreme Processor
CPU: "Zen4" architecture with 4nm process, 8-core / 16-threads, 24 MB total cache, up to 5.10 GHz boost
GPU: AMD Radeon™ Graphics (AMD RDNA™ 3, 12 CUs, up to 2.7 GHz, up to 8.6 Teraflops)

Just the base game wont run, as i enter i get a black screen for about 3 seconds then its back at the desktop screen.
Tried all compatibility settings and reinstalling everything.

Even copied onto a USB from my latop to try and boot it from there.
Nothing works.

Just the base game wont run, as i enter i get a black screen for about 3 seconds then its back at the desktop screen.
So just to be clear both your machines are integrated graphics, the PC which works is running an Intel series processor (can you be more specific, try running dxdiag?)

The PC which doesn't is a handheld ROG Ally (I forgot these were even a thing) with W11 Home and a 1080p screen?

This sounds a bit like a problem I've had with resolutions in the past. Can you try compatibility options on the ROG and force the game to run in 640*480 mode?

So just to be clear both your machines are integrated graphics, the PC which works is running an Intel series processor (can you be more specific, try running dxdiag?)

The PC which doesn't is a handheld ROG Ally (I forgot these were even a thing) with W11 Home and a 1080p screen?

This sounds a bit like a problem I've had with resolutions in the past. Can you try compatibility options on the ROG and force the game to run in 640*480 mode?
So my Laptop is running a Intel Core i3-1125G4(up to 3.70GHz).
Model nr is: 51N68EA

Yes the ROG Ally has a 1080p screen and both machines use W11 Home.

I will try running the game in 640*480 when i get home.

It's probably worth mentioning on my Laptop it works but whenever i want to enter display settings (to change the resolution) the game crashes.

Though i did change my profile in My Documents to run at 1600*900 and it works perfectly.

Though it still crashes when i want to enter the display options in game.
So you might me on to something regarding the resolution

Though it still crashes when i want to enter the display options in game.
So you might me on to something regarding the resolution
The game gets crash-happy when messing with resolution options, what you've described is "expected behaviour". The developers didn't factor in or were told not to allow 16:9 resolutions in the PC version, however widescreen support is available on the PS2 version. I've read before that EA at the time considered widescreen "cheating" in their PC sports games.

The game gets crash-happy when messing with resolution options, what you've described is "expected behaviour". The developers didn't factor in or were told not to allow 16:9 resolutions in the PC version, however widescreen support is available on the PS2 version. I've read before that EA at the time considered widescreen "cheating" in their PC sports games.
I see what you mean.

I modded my profile on the laptop to get around this issue and it is working perfectly.

Will try to run the game on my ROG Ally in 640*480 to see if it works.
If it runs fine i will try and mod the profile on that one as well to see if it helps.

Will keep you posted as to what my findings are.

So forcing the resolution to 640*480 in properties it still does the same thing.

The game on the Ally is just the standard base game with a fresh install.
Here is a link to a video i uploaded for reference.

Last night i ended up trying to install older versions of Direct X as well as i know i had to do it on my other PC to run older games.

But needless to say that didn't work either.

If someone is reading this what worked for me was my headset or wireless headset I pulled it out now it launches just put it back in once you got past the Ea sports logo. Iv tested this on my old laptop and now my gaming rig. Hope this helps up the wahs!

Hi guys,
Hoping someone can help. Every time I try to start up Rugby 08 on PC (downloaded it from oldgamesdownload) it just freezes on the opening ***le screen and crashes. can't find anything here on the forums that's answered how to fix it so wondering if anyone can help?
Any luck gettin this game going? Im having same issue and gettin no results

Latest posts