• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 20 the thread

Had a check this evening. Most adjustments seem to have been done to bring ratings in line with RugbyPass Index, but there are some odd ones currently still misaligned. E.g. Etzebeth is 92 on RugbyPassIndex and 72 in the game.

Also my MyTeam got destroyed, went from a 79 rating to 68. A bit annoying as I had only been getting the epic players packs which guaranteed two high tier players, now a lot of those have been significantly downgraded.

I got to play three games last night (was able to play when it hit the 23rd uk time, and they say time is real). Already feel safe I haven't wasted 60 bucks on it. Thursdays are hell for me class and work wise so I won't be playing more tonight and I won't have a more in depth post until the weekend.

there are things that aren't perfect, offside on kicks I believe to be nonexistent. Advantage is played the best of any rugby game since rugby 08. You are rewarded for playing phases and it's not just a game of getting wide as possible as quick as possible.

the game is very forward dominant. Players stick to position well and the set plays for backs are hard to execute. The game is really about using forwards to eat space, getting quick ball, and eventually having an overlap with your backs. It's essentially rugby 08 without a box kick for try everytime exploit (that I have found yet) with better physics.

france, Ireland, and wales are the only worthwhile international teams with licenses.

I got to play three games last night (was able to play when it hit the 23rd uk time, and they say time is real). Already feel safe I haven't wasted 60 bucks on it. Thursdays are hell for me class and work wise so I won't be playing more tonight and I won't have a more in depth post until the weekend.

there are things that aren't perfect, offside on kicks I believe to be nonexistent. Advantage is played the best of any rugby game since rugby 08. You are rewarded for playing phases and it's not just a game of getting wide as possible as quick as possible.

the game is very forward dominant. Players stick to position well and the set plays for backs are hard to execute. The game is really about using forwards to eat space, getting quick ball, and eventually having an overlap with your backs. It's essentially rugby 08 without a box kick for try everytime exploit (that I have found yet) with better physics.

france, Ireland, and wales are the only worthwhile international teams with licenses.

I've recently bought rugby 20 for the PS4 and I am really enjoying it on the whole. one little thing is annoying me though... When you grubber kick the ball there are supposed to be 3 options: press nothing and pick the ball up and keep running, press square and dive on the ball or press circle to kick or 'hack' the ball on. The kick option never seems to work. The player always just collects the ball up and tries to keep running. I have tried timing the button press perfectly when the option comes up, I have tried holding the circle button down and I have tried mashing the button repeatedly, but everytime the player picks the ball up and if there's opposition players close by, get tackled. Can you advise what I may be doing wrong? Many thanks

I've recently bought rugby 20 for the PS4 and I am really enjoying it on the whole. one little thing is annoying me though... When you grubber kick the ball there are supposed to be 3 options: press nothing and pick the ball up and keep running, press square and dive on the ball or press circle to kick or 'hack' the ball on. The kick option never seems to work. The player always just collects the ball up and tries to keep running. I have tried timing the button press perfectly when the option comes up, I have tried holding the circle button down and I have tried mashing the button repeatedly, but everytime the player picks the ball up and if there's opposition players close by, get tackled. Can you advise what I may be doing wrong? Many thanks

I know R20 is not the holy grail of rugby we all expects, but this will not happen as long as the market will be considered as "niche" by major studios. This said, i consider the Eko's baby as the most sincere and most advanced transcription of our sport till R08. There are many lacks, in term of gameplay with forward players for example, but that's anyway far far far deeper than what the RC series shows, which is exclusively focused on regular passing game without any foot, push or cross play. I tried to put that in image in a short video, in the VI nations context. Enjoy (or not).

PS: It would be really nice if a member / modder could explore the way of changing the database, in order to replace the "Trophy Nations" by a VI Nations, a Word Cup or a Rugby Championship. A small detail that could pleasure a lot ;p

Last edited:
PS: It would be really nice if a member / modder could explore the way of changing the database, in order to replace the "Trophy Nations" by a VI Nations, a Word Cup or a Rugby Championship. A small detail that could pleasure a lot ;p

I managed to read the data from their database, at least the players :
Ubebh

Ub4Zo

If I manage to arrange editing, creation, deletion, it may be possible to work with other data. I will try.

I've managed to snaffle a used Rugby 20 game on The Bay. Should be winging it's way to me in a couple of days. I'll be playing the hell out of it whilst I'm in self imposed isolation.

Is there any way that I can put some of my fave players into the England squad (xbox version). Even if only by name if not by appearance/stats. Would be great to have Steve Thompson as hooker and David Duckham at centre!

It's 30% off on the PS+ sale atm - still £32.50, so a bit rich for me (I'm guessing it's a pretty poor game, so wouldn't spend over £20), but may be of interest to others.

The last update ruined the game. They turned it into rugby challenge with the cpu just making 7 offloads a phase.

What does the "prepare for impact" input (left trigger on xbone) supposed to do? I've tried using it but don't see any benefit for using it. It doesn't seem to do anything at all. And how do you all manage to pass the gain line with ball in hand? The only situations when this happens for me is either when winger gets the ball wide and there is like no defenders within 20 yards of him.......or I have to kick the ball and either hope that I can 1) Retrieve kick. 2) Manage to tackle a defender who catches the ball before he passes it (or more usually boots the ball back to me) and 3) Hope that the defenders return kick doesn't go further than the point where I originally booted the ball from!!

Apart from the above........I'm enjoying playing the game

Do something (literally) anything with the right stick and you should get a meter or two. Everyone once in awhile you'll get a line break.

I've found the key to exploiting the 2 on 1s etc, is to pre-pass, i.e. hit pass again whilst the ball is still in the air. When I do that I seem to achieve able to get the ball away to the next player a realistic amount of time. Also, if you hold pass you will do a miss pass - you can see the little arrow thing zoom across the pitch. Sadly this doesn't work with the scrummie, to skip the lumbering forward who has decided to plonk themselves in the 10 channel.

Has anyone been able to alter the ratings of players? I have managed to change the stats of a few players using Hexedit, but when I update their overall rating nothing happens.

scrummie can skip, i've been able to get the ball directly to the wing and to the second pod.

Best tactic to get ball to ten is to go to first pod (assuming 1-3-3-1) and pass backwards (r1+l1 on ps4) and the ball will get to playmaker cutting across.

I know R20 is not the holy grail of rugby we all expects, but this will not happen as long as the market will be considered as "niche" by major studios. This said, i consider the Eko's baby as the most sincere and most advanced transcription of our sport till R08. There are many lacks, in term of gameplay with forward players for example, but that's anyway far far far deeper than what the RC series shows, which is exclusively focused on regular passing game without any foot, push or cross play. I tried to put that in image in a short video, in the VI nations context. Enjoy (or not).

Wow that is a very cool video!

I have trouble winning my own scrums in Rugby 20 game, can somenone help me or give me information to win the scrums?

Hi there, I followed all of these instructions and the game now crashes at the point it loads the saved game (i.e. when you first press A to get from the intro screen to the main menu). I have tried deleting the saves, disabling steam cloud saves etc, but to no avail. Any advice? Thank you for your excellent work.
Me too, any help?

Hi there, I followed all of these instructions and the game now crashes at the point it loads the saved game (i.e. when you first press A to get from the intro screen to the main menu). I have tried deleting the saves, disabling steam cloud saves etc, but to no avail. Any advice? Thank you for your excellent work.

the only file who crush the game is database_prod.bin

this mod was made before the official patch ? is maybe this patch the problem?

Fair to say that with the release of rugby challenge 4 this is still the best rugby game on the console market!

Getting back into it and I'm having lots of fun. I'd like to see the flyhalf sit deeper in the pocket so you can get punts away and to have the option to kick high ball box kicks. Fullback also needs to come into the attacking line! The wingers also tend to lag behind in support play, regardless of the tactical choice of close or penetrating.

I'm still so impressed with the gameplay mechanics and structure. If they were able to explain it better in the game I think more people would have enjoyed it. If they were able to implement a more "on the rails, hands off" approach for players it might be more enjoyable.

Player movement and contact animations are great and seem to work well with a nice weighted feel to players.

Hopefully they will release another with further improvements to gameplay. Haven't tried rugby champions as I only use Mac.

Last edited:

Latest posts