• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2001

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Feb 13 2005, 08:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 13 2005, 08:46 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Feb 13 2005, 08:22 PM

Exactly! As was said above, you lot look back on lomu like it was your first root or something...
What makes you think we compare rugby to sex?
Sure hate to be in the forwards with you!

. [/b]
<
......nasty aussies
<
...punting and kicking in lomu was the best..very tactical...especially in two player in your own 20.....multiplay in lomu is the best...i think everyone would agree on that

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101+Feb 13 2005, 08:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE CHIROPRACTOR101 @ Feb 13 2005, 08:52 PM)</div>
Originally posted by C A Iversen@Feb 13 2005, 08:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar

Exactly! As was said above, you lot look back on lomu like it was your first root or something...

<
......nasty aussies
<
...punting and kicking in lomu was the best..very tactical...especially in two player in your own 20.....multiplay in lomu is the best...i think everyone would agree on that [/b]
look above mate... obviously we don't
<

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101+Feb 13 2005, 09:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE CHIROPRACTOR101 @ Feb 13 2005, 09:52 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar

<
......nasty aussies
<
...punting and kicking in lomu was the best..very tactical...especially in two player in your own 20.....multiplay in lomu is the best...i think everyone would agree on that [/b]
I Agree

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 13 2005, 08:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Feb 13 2005, 08:54 PM)</div>
Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Feb 13 2005, 08:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar

<
......nasty aussies
<
...punting and kicking in lomu was the best..very tactical...especially in two player in your own 20.....multiplay in lomu is the best...i think everyone would agree on that
look above mate... obviously we don't
<
[/b]
just stick to your league games...all 1 of them...sjrl wasnt that good anyway
<
<

Was just having some fun with my comments, Sanzar.
I agree the palming off ten people thing was a load of rubbish on JLR, and the game had other flaws too, I just still think it was the fastest most playable game of rugby to date.
I just can't stand not having full control of my players running which has plagued nearly every rugby game since.

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 13 2005, 07:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Feb 13 2005, 07:48 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-pip
@Feb 13 2005, 06:28 PM

I bought JLR the other day because every1 always goes on and on about it. I knew beforehand that the graphics would suck but prepared myself for a feast of intensive rugby action, with it being "the greatest rugby game ever" and all. Erm, no its not. JLR is crap, and I would like one of the JLR desciples to tell me what makes it so great. I personally feel that most ppl look back on it with rose tinted glasses. It's not that special, IMHO.
BINGO! This is what I've been saying for ages! JRL is NOT the best rugby game of all time... it was when it came out, but never since "EA Rugby". [/b]
Rugby 2001 was playable, but is was nowhere near as good as JLR. True JLR did look like something you would avoid on the pavement, but it had by far the most intuitive control system, and just feels more like rugby than any other game that has been produced since.

Well, it did have some good points to it, and had some basic game points right but it was just a little unresponsive to control and had far to many intercepts for my liking.
So yes I do think it could have been a decent starting point for a better game.

Creative Assembly ended their contract with EA I think. After Shogun Total War, they put all their efforts into the Total War series (one of the best series of recent years too) and I guess they got more dosh doing that series than making Cricket/Rugby games and to be honest, the Total War games are in a league of class of their own. I think that TRF should start our own studio for making a rugby game
<

R2001 was very fun. Eh, I slammed it looking back in retrospect after it stopped working, but it was great fun. Sure the graphics were poor, there were only 20 teams, there were no broken tackles and the players ran in an odd way, but it was FUN. And in sports games, usually one of the best points is how enjoyable it is. I still play two player Actua Soccer 3 cause it's a right laugh running around lamping various players in the face.

And I have to admit, using the editor to make Kyran Bracken 50cm tall was incredibly funny.

On the subject of midgetmen:

midgetman.jpg

Working again! Just trying to do the kits but the layers ain't merging proper.

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Feb 13 2005, 03:02 PM
On the subject of midgetmen:

midgetman.jpg

Working again! Just trying to do the kits but the layers ain't merging proper.
Lol!
<

Might have to dig it out again just to make a team full of midgets. It's funny, I don't remember being able to do that. Must have forgotten.

I still would play JLR more than any other game on my N64, PSX or PS2.

JLR was simply perfect two player action. 100 point games were not uncommon. Most playable which is the most important element. Kicking in 2005 looks again like it is going to fail. In Lomu's an arrow went out and in for distance and you could do these awesome inside grubbers and cross field bombs by pressing a different direction after you released the button. Fluidity. Diving over the try line and you'd slide for ten metres? How cool is that?

Lomu's had BIG gameplay elements but if you played it a different way, you could make the game feel like a simulation. All other games have failed simply because there was only one way to score points: spread it wide and out pace the wingers. Total ****.

The so called "offload bug" was easily defendable by using a smother tackle. So were the super fends. To counter the smother tackle you could dummy or side step.

Very balanced game in either attack or defence. Rucks and mauls were button bashers in removing and adding players back to the ruck. It had its faults and in a way could be the NBA Jam of Rugby games but simplistic, easy to pick up games like Lomu's are the best.

The more you played the more you learnt and I still think I have much to learn in JLR, 8 years after its release. As a wise man once said it takes you 6 months doing something to think that you know everything about it. It takes you a year to realise that you know nothing at all.

Second to JLR would be Shane Warne Cricket on MEGA DRIVE! Fast paced action, great game.

Did you get it when it first came out though?

It was the first game i got for ps1, it was awesome - multiplayer especially. RL was released 7 years later... of course it should be better, but JLR was great.

Originally posted by subsbligh@Feb 14 2005, 10:48 AM
To counter the smother tackle you could dummy or side step.

As a wise man once said it takes you 6 months doing something to think that you know everything about it. It takes you a year to realise that you know nothing at all.
I didn't know the dummy could defeat the smother tackle. I presume we are talking about shoulder button and square (L1/L2 + Square).

Absolutely true about the wise man quote. It took a week of playing just to figure out how to begin playing.

I challenge anyone who does not think JLR was a good game (back in '96) and ask you whether you really mastered playing it. It got better as you got better.

reading all the posts has got me thinking, i was one of those 'disciples' but both sides hav both cum up with good points...
it got me thinking about how i use to argue with my old man about how the old skool rugby players are no where near as good as nowadays... he wud defend them until i wud get so frustrated! i guess its just the same with JLR we refuse to believe any other game is better than it... u get wut i mean? its kinda hard to explain...

Originally posted by umosay@Feb 14 2005, 01:13 PM

It was the first game i got for ps1, it was awesome - multiplayer especially. RL was released 7 years later... of course it should be better, but JLR was great.
And thats the point. It was a great game, but people who still play the damn thing like its the mofo' shizz need to get over it. There are far better alternatives around. Like what I was saying earlier, games have evolved a long way.
If you really want a good game, go play Pac Man
<

Originally posted by umosay@Feb 14 2005, 12:13 PM

Nah, I borrowed it back in 2003 off a mate... But thats the point, people are saying its STILL the best... which I'm sure it was back in 1970 or whenever it came out
<
, but i found a few tricks and hammered anything the AI could throw at me after a couple weeks... As for multiplayer, well I found Rugby League WAY more fun in multiplayer, in fact I even found Rugby 2004 more fun in multiplayer... anyway though, even if you think it's good for a rugby game, it doesn't come close to what games of NFL and soccer franchises are offering and that alone is enough to make sure you never go near it...

The people that have had it since it came out think its the best, of course it was never going to be good in 2003.

I'm just saying it was soooo much more fun to play multiplayer than WCR or SJRL

Latest posts