• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2005 - A Positive Point

I personally have seen enough of the movies, reviews, etc..to buy. Seems a helluva lot better than R2004. Have you seen the latest Barbarians v. Pac Islander's movie. Those hits are off the hook!!!!!!

Anyone who thinks that is similar to the last game is just plain hallucinating.

yea pull it!...........pull it out!....pull it!, pull it!

if u dont pull it out leave for eternity!

lol jks

Hey!!!

I still play Rugby 2004 too. It's a decent enough game. I like the fact that somehow your wingers get caught from behind every time and then three phases later the damn announcer says "they won't catch him!" Regardless of gow bad the game is, it's still rugby which over here in the states is hard to get. I will buy the game the day it comes out and I will be happy. The movies look pretty damn good and all these guys who have played it like it.

Originally posted by Boltman+Feb 23 2005, 09:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boltman @ Feb 23 2005, 09:12 AM)</div>
Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 23 2005, 08:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-sean43
@Feb 23 2005, 08:54 AM
Why should people praise a game that has let it's customers down again? And are a lot of people really pleased with what they have seen? I am not too sure

From all the footage I've seen, I'm looking forward to having a go myself.
My feeling exactly, based on everything I've seen or read here, or on the net anywhere.

This game looks to be a keeper.

I kept Rugby2004 (still play it along with RPM2) to this day.

So there's no way I can see me not enjoying playing this with my mates.

I cant even imagine the amount of pint's of Guinness I'll be pounding the first week of me having this game!
<
[/b]
For you mate I think the game will be excellent because you are a multiplayer man - I know I've banged on about it but my concerns are with the single player game. However I do like the last video Locksley put up, and I'm prepared to change my tune if I see more!

He makes some nice little breaks and he passes the ball much better, and scores a good try!!

You can see that by mixing it up between forward play, backs and kicking you get rewarded. I hadn't seen this before and I am much happier about the single player game as a result.
<

Originally posted by USArugger@Feb 23 2005, 02:45 PM
Hey!!!

I still play Rugby 2004 too. It's a decent enough game. I like the fact that somehow your wingers get caught from behind every time and then three phases later the damn announcer says "they won't catch him!" Regardless of gow bad the game is, it's still rugby which over here in the states is hard to get. I will buy the game the day it comes out and I will be happy. The movies look pretty damn good and all these guys who have played it like it.
Nurse.... nurse... NUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRSSSEEEEE This man needs help!
<

I'm sorry sir... but he's.... he's too far gone

... a Rugby 2004 overdose can kill a man if he's not careful

Originally posted by captainamerica+Feb 23 2005, 01:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Feb 23 2005, 01:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jonwebb
@Feb 23 2005, 01:54 PM
I can proudly say this:  The Videos do not justify how good the game is until you play it.
<

<
I think that is a very valid point coming from someone who's actually played it.

Now, the only thing is, the longevity of playing. Locks has obviously had a few weeks whereas you guys had an afternoon -- it has left a great impression with you, even Locks' reviews after his brief outing with the demo were very positive.

But has he played it out? I don't know. He still seems keen on putting up clips and still says it's very fun to play . . . [/b]
Ask yourself this. How long did it take you before you put down Rugby 2004? Then ask yourself how many chances you gave Rugby 2004 before throwing it away?

Single Player - 2 hours
Multiplayer - 1 hour
2nd Chance - 5 Times

After playing Rugby 2005 for 2 hours i was ready to do a runner with one of the consoles.

I have past the first stage of calling this game a great game. If i can past the second and not even come close to the third then Rugby 2005 is a good/great game.

Originally posted by jonwebb@Feb 24 2005, 12:28 PM
Ask yourself this. How long did it take you before you put down Rugby 2004? Then ask yourself how many chances you gave Rugby 2004 before throwing it away?
Spot. On.

I didn't think about that.

I can clearly recall that grey afternoon and the forced smile. Even the insects turned a cold shoulder before cutting off their own wings.

Originally posted by sean43@Feb 23 2005, 09:12 AM
The positive people on here are kidding themselves and will come back on here in a months time and say how annoyed they are with HB studios.

I am not from Swordfish, although they are a damn better game developer than HB
I don't know about you mate, but I thought WCR was even LESS playable than Rugby 2004.... Rugby 2004 was one of the buggiest and badly designed sport games ever made, but they did manage to implement several things in the game to make it seem like actual rugby... WCR had NO deapth, no skill requirement (unless you count button bashing as a skill) and very little resemblance to real rugby... I actually played it less than 2004 I thought it was that bad... And I've already handed both EA rugby 2004 and WCR in to EB to get a discount on 2005 for PC (I also handed in Ninja Gaiden as I've played that to death) and got the game pre-orded for $8! Not bad for a brand new game! and all it cost me was 3 games that I'd never touch again with a Hazard suit...

Originally posted by captainamerica+Feb 24 2005, 12:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Feb 24 2005, 12:41 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jonwebb
@Feb 24 2005, 12:28 PM

Ask yourself this.  How long did it take you before you put down Rugby 2004?  Then ask yourself how many chances you gave Rugby 2004 before throwing it away?
Spot. On.

I didn't think about that.

I can clearly recall that grey afternoon and the forced smile. Even the insects turned a cold shoulder before cutting off their own wings. [/b]
Sheer poetic genius Caps.....brilliant!

<

Ok so i have said some negative things about this game so I thought I'd share the things I really like!
<

The build up - players running onto the pitch, pan view of the stadium, anthems etc

Each rugby ground looks and feels different to the next - just compare the Aus v Nzl match witht the Ba Bas V PI game. It really looks like they are being played at different stadiums!

Different weather themes look great/realistic and seem to influence what happens on the pitch i.e knock ons etc

Crowd noises - I think its quite realistic, although not enough of a cheer when you score!

Love the tackling - animations are amazing and so varied.

Passing - very fluid and looks quite responsive. Love the pre pass feature

Speed - some people say its too slow but I actually think its perfactly paced. At least gives you that split second you need to make strategic decisions

Scrums and lineouts look balanced and easy to control

Overall it does look and feel like a real game of rugby - I still have issues with the AI and difficulty levels on single player, from looking at the videos and reading Locksleys comments from a week ago.

However since seeing the secong half of the PI game and Locksleys latest comments I am looking foward to this game again.

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 25 2005, 12:56 AM
Each rugby ground looks and feels different to the next - just compare the Aus v Nzl match witht the Ba Bas V PI game. It really looks like they are being played at different stadiums!
Of all the positives you mentioned, this is the one thats making me smile the more and more I watch the clips. The pitch looks vvvvvery different at each ground, well, each continent.

Latest posts