• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY 2005 Preview! Cybershack.com not much but...

Hi Guys

Could somebody please post the preview on here. I can't view the website at work.. Thanks in advance...

cybershack.com

"Our first impressions of Rugby 2005 are very positive. This Rugby ***le is easily going to be the best we have seen from any publisher. The build we played is still a work in progress, so unfortunately we can't give details of the game or expand on the different features that impressed us most. I can say this thought. The players look much more real and the game play (which is the most important aspect to any sports game) is much more realistic. If you're a avid Rugby fan, get ready, because March is going to be a very exciting start to the rugby seaon.

I'm sure we'll be able to track down the producer of Rugby 2005, (who is an Aussie by the way) and have a chat on the Cyber Shack radio show. I can't wait for March!"

What interests me most is their comment about the gameplay. Can't wait to see it in action.

we still need more info on all this ...

the drip, drip, drip information release strategy is killing me...

all we want is a little extra info regarding gameplay - its great to hear that people are saying its good and will be the best rugby game ever, but thats hardly a big task in itself, there isn't much competition... I remember news on R2004 and people at game sites were then sayin it would be a great game...

the sooner the better I say - if they are practically finished they're main work on the game (they're be no major gameplay changes at this point, maybe aesthetics etc) why can't somebody tell us about it ???

... and so the wait goes on, hopefully this will be a defining year in solid, enjoyable sports game releases

Hate to be a party pooper but one thing has got me concerned...........

"The build we played is still a work in progress..."

Doesn't that sound a litle too familiar?? Surely by now the game is complete?? Why would they be playing an unfinished version??

Smells a little like rugby 2004 when some reviewers thought they were playing an unfinished version only to find later that it was very much the release version...........

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 18 2005, 10:21 PM
cybershack.com

"Our first impressions of Rugby 2005 are very positive. This Rugby ***le is easily going to be the best we have seen from any publisher. The build we played is still a work in progress, so unfortunately we can't give details of the game or expand on the different features that impressed us most. I can say this thought. The players look much more real and the game play (which is the most important aspect to any sports game) is much more realistic. If you're a avid Rugby fan, get ready, because March is going to be a very exciting start to the rugby seaon.

I'm sure we'll be able to track down the producer of Rugby 2005, (who is an Aussie by the way) and have a chat on the Cyber Shack radio show. I can't wait for March!"
Finally someone has played it..........and its good news to boot.

This is awesome, and it sounds mad

The best thus far!!!!

but yes, its still work in progress - why??? - the games out in 2 months

what significant work needs to be done that justifies this statement.

u only say these things coz there are some major issues with certain aspects
kinks and wrinkles get ironed out in the final 2 months.

apart from the audio all gameplay issues and graphical touches should be 99% complete - if thats work in progress, then i'd like to know what they play when a game is 50% complete

this time prior to release with 2004 was work in progress - anyone got 'de-ja-vu'

although this comment

and the game play (which is the most important aspect to any sports game) is much more realistic.
<
<
<
<

I hate to put a dampner on things, but the version of Rugby 2004 that I brought you all the footage from was classed as "Work in progress"... however, the version you bought in the stores was EXACTLY the same as the so called "Work in progress" game I had over 2 months before it hit the shops!

I also managed to get some footage of World Champ Rugby before release. That too, was a work in progress game! When the retail version hit the shops, there were some differences to the early build of WCR I'd played!

So, Work in progress games to change, but the RUGBY 2004 W.I.P was no different to the one in the shops! Just thought I'd let you know so that you could bear it in mind!

I wouldn't worry about the work in progress bit - they probably got a work in progress version which is probably virtually finished so why can't they say anything!

It probably is a work in progress because it hasn't gone gold yet, and if there is a problem at Sony or Microsoft it might have to be changed. In saying that, I doubt there'll be much change from what we see/read now to what we get in March. So if a previewer says that there are some bugs, but don't worry because it is a WIP, we should worry.

few replies about this preview
charlie has played it

" cant wait for the game.....i hope they send out a demo for it!

i juss hope to god almighty...."if your watching god?"....i hope i hope it wasnt like 2004 cos that had a good lead up but failed aimlessly!
like u guys said "The players look much more real and the game play (which is the most important aspect to any sports game) is much more realistic."
charlie : 19.Jan.2005 11:20:08 AM
I've played 2004, and although I have only played 2005 for a short period of time with a game that was not finished I can say that 2005 played sooooooooo much better.
kinkon89 : 19.Jan.2005 12:17:32 PM
tell us more?......please
charlie : 19.Jan.2005 1:45:38 PM
Oh the pressure! Seriously I want to tell you what I loved about it but I only got 30 minutes of game time and I need to play the game in more depth before making a comment about individual game elements and throwing around my impressions."

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 19 2005, 09:52 PM
few replies about this preview
charlie has played it

kinkon89 : 19.Jan.2005 12:17:32 PM
tell us more?......please
charlie : 19.Jan.2005 1:45:38 PM
Oh the pressure! Seriously I want to tell you what I loved about it but I only got 30 minutes of game time and I need to play the game in more depth before making a comment about individual game elements and throwing around my impressions."
sorry, but even if I'd played the game for 10 minutes, I'd tell you everything in every detail! I'm not saying this bloke hasn't played it, but he is holding back on something for a reason...

yeah...

c'mon, how many games can you fit in 30 minutes, at least one very long match or a few shorter ones...

all you need is one game to see how the game plays and what features are effective immediately... surely he had one scrum/ruck/maul/lineout/try/conversion/penalty/tackle in all of those 30 minutes not to mention the use of the "big hit" stick... all we need is a bit of info on this stuff as opposed to just saying "its better then 2004" (do ye think!)

there's somethin up with that dude for sure

yea it's sounds like yer man is talking shite, has no proof that he's even played it.

My two cents :

The review says basically: " The build was a work in progress so we can't give any details on the included features." There is no gameplay issue in that........EAsports wants to keep the game features secret so they asked the guys not to reveal anything. That doesn't mean the game is crap. And by definition, a game is stated as "Work in progress" until it goes gold which happens usually 4 to 3 weeks before the release date.

My guess is that if the game was not as good as expected, they would say something in the review about it, and that's not the case. I'm pretty confident that this year effort will be a stellar improvement from "rugby 2004" (they can only improve). will Rugby 2005 be the answer to our dreams ?? i don't think so but i'm pretty sure we're slowly getting there.

wasn't there a video of the game running at at gameshow like 6 months ago or so? Surely that build of the game was very very early.

Originally posted by Handsomebob@Jan 20 2005, 04:32 AM
My two cents :

The review says basically: " The build was a work in progress so we can't give any details on the included features." There is no gameplay issue in that........EAsports wants to keep the game features secret so they asked the guys not to reveal anything. That doesn't mean the game is crap. And by definition, a game is stated as "Work in progress" until it goes gold which happens usually 4 to 3 weeks before the release date.

My guess is that if the game was not as good as expected, they would say something in the review about it, and that's not the case. I'm pretty confident that this year effort will be a stellar improvement from "rugby 2004" (they can only improve). will Rugby 2005 be the answer to our dreams ?? i don't think so but i'm pretty sure we're slowly getting there.
Hmmmmm....

The article is just an attention seeking bit of ********.........

Considering it's ***led "rugby 2005 - we have played it", and then they say pretty much nothing about what they experienced is a joke surely??

Generalising by saying such things as "players look much more real" (could tell that from the screens), and "gameplay is much more realistic" (would have to be compared to rugby 2004), is just poor writing.

Maybe they have given themselves a way out (if the game turns out to be utter rubbish) by saying that they only played a "work in progress" at the time of their initial impressions.

I mean thirty minutes of gameplay would be more then enough time to form some sort of initial conclusions/impressions. Why is there no mention of such basic things as how lineouts/scrums/rucks are implemented, controls, passing fluency, kicking etc etc......

I have no reason to dis-believe that they have indeed played it, however it appears they are paying HB studios "lip service" for the right of doing so.

bit more

"OK - the game play, I will tell you about that. It was the game play that I was most impressed with. The general play of the game was smooth and free flowing. It was just so real, I mean you would tackle the opposition player and a ruck would form. If you were the first player at the ruck you had a REAL chance to win the ball. The rucks were over quickly and again this helped the games flow. Attacking moves were fast and precise passing could be the difference between making a break and getting hit with a big tackle. Coming from a position of playing in a rugby back line in school, I found my knowledge of basic tactics such as dummy passes, switching passes and big cut outs helped a lot.

In the end I felt that I was in the shoes of the players on screen, and I think this is the goal of any sports game. In short the game play was what did it for me, and I am told that the build I played was fairly early so I'm sure things are going to get even better. Although I am not sure where they can improve with the game play as it's spot now."

Latest posts