• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012

I'd like to see a DS version that still keeps to simular levels of detail, like the FIFA ***les. Deca Sports DS showed that 7s can be done on DS to a decent quality recently, so hopefully they can folow that. While I would buy a 'Home' copy, I'd love to be able to create my own Ospreys-Blues fixtures on the bus.

I'm interested in what engine they're going to use, and the graphical detail.
I mean all of their games are on older platforms or the Wii. But hopefully they actually try to compete with FIFA and Madden.

Well, to sum it up basically, a licensed game (or moddable) in the vein of one of the major ***les like FIFA and Madden.

This needs:
  • Online play
  • Individual facial models for all included players (this forum is proof that this can be accomplished well enough, and with a large enough team working on it it could be done).
  • Magners League
  • Improved controls and playability (i.e. scrum-half pick-and-go is redundant in '08; the drop-goal function is clunky and inaccurate; 'star' players have some ridiculous signature moves (90 metres punts); little competition is allowed at rucks, and scrums and malls are quite limited aswell.)
  • The AI needs to be improved. Even on the hardest mode in '08 it is almost **** easy to defend against the AI's offence. The only difference the difficulty settings makes it that its defence is more powerful, but not enough so that it's remotely challenging to a skilled player. Though I suppose with online play this won't be as important.
I appreciate all this is easier said than done, and it's easy for me to make demands from the comfort of my bedroom. ;_;

This needs:

• Individual facial models for all included players (this forum is proof that this can be accomplished well enough, and with a large enough team working on it it could be done).
That shouldn't be too hard, in theory, considering the amount of faces in FIFA (i know that not all teams in FIFA have all their players, but there's only, what, 60ish teams? in the Rugby games, if you count Guinness Magners France and Super 14, so that's only like three major football leagues, which all have the faces)

Hopefully ProD2 is included just so that Im in it (I know its very selfish of me). Then I will have truly made it :p

I think the most important thing that needs to be addressed apart from teams, comps etc is space and timing. Just like in real rugby, space and time is vitally important. We dont want the pitches too small or too large, or gameplay too fast like jonah but we dont need the agonisingly slow play of rugby 2001. 2008 wasnt too bad but I still think in terms of timing, cadence or speed that this can be improved because too fast and its too arcady and too much like a simulation it will be too slow and boring to play.

Last thing. Get rid of animations. If HB can come up with some innovative way to have players react to tackles, ball running, ankle taps, missed tackles etc etc autonomously ie its reactive vs a preprogrammed response for a blanket number of situations, this would be really good.

Good Luck and looking forward to it

Great news, even if it was expected, since there is a RWC in 2011, there had to be a rugby video game named 2012. Anyway, please don't make it a console-only game. A lot of gamers still play rugby08 on pc because of the possibility for the community to mod it on pc. And any good that will be the game, there will always be people to say " that's not difficult enough" " face is not like I would it to be".. So if the game has to be a 4-year lengthlife, it has to be moddable.

Some of these ideas are great but you need to consider that FIFA has an enormous budget.

The one thing that would make me buy the game and play forever, would be a way of adding old and new players to rosters. Easy downloads with pas and present players would be amazing. I know people like the whole "up to date" roster thing, but I love nothing more then scoring a try with my rugby heroes such as Cullen, Zinzan, Lomu, Mehrtens etc. If 2012 had this function, I wouldn't stop playing.

The one thing that would make me buy the game and play forever, would be a way of adding old and new players to rosters. Easy downloads with pas and present players would be amazing. I know people like the whole "up to date" roster thing, but I love nothing more then scoring a try with my rugby heroes such as Cullen, Zinzan, Lomu, Mehrtens etc. If 2012 had this function, I wouldn't stop playing.

A good suggestion (although obviously naming rights do mean editing players is a scenario dependant on sensitive factors). Many good ideas though, so far. One of the key things I'm wanting to do is organise a streamlined poll of features that forum members would most like. This will under no circumstances guarantee anything, but it would be a good idea to have a good "averaged" idea of what most players really want. That data would ideally be collected together in a request sheet outlining point by point what the rugby game playing community really rate as the "most essential" features. The key to this will be being realistic, with politely worded, well thought out requests. Any ranting or demands would be overlooked.

So, when I and other admin/moderators know more we'll certainly be trying to distil all of your ideas into a collected format via one means or another. At the end of the day we can only suggest though.

They could pay us to make face updates :D
Well if they hire a couple adept modders it'll cut down on some development costs.. haha... like that'll ever happen. At least I'm hoping they listen to the fans of EA Rugby, and make the game more realistic, somehow fork out money for licensing... oh and online gaming is a must. Would be cool to take on a few TRF Members :D

I'll be very keen to know if sales had been a factor in the franchise stalling after Rugby '06 and with Rugby '08 only coming out on PS2. I know that there was a piracy spike around that time, in particular with the Xbox, but still somewhat of an issue with PS2. I remember being very annoyed about that as I desperately wanted as many copies to sell as possible. It just seemed screamingly obvious that a franchise which is smaller than Soccer, Basketball and NFL needed to sell to ALL of it's market to ensure sequels. With better security now I'm hoping that they sell 3 times as many as they last did. That's the only way to make a ***le like this bi-annual or eventually annual.

Ashes Cricket is another ***le where good sales have changed a dormant next-gen game into a potential yearly possibility. Let's hope that happens to Rugby.

First of all , thank you for developing a rugby game. I bought all the rugby games ever developed since EA rugby 95 ( including Rugby league and rugby league 2 ). I play at least one game a day on EA rugby 08. Here is my wish list rugby 2012.

please include all the major rugby competitions in the world : including Magners's league, Currie cup, New Zealand Cup, English Premier league, Italian league, Top 14, Super 14 (Super 15 in 2011 ) . It would be nice also to include some clubs from lower divisions such as French D2, Heineken cup, and European challenge cup also the rugby super league in the USA.
As for national team competitions , please include Tri Nation ( with possibility to expand to 4 nations ) , 6 nations, possibility to create custom summer and fall tours, Lions tour, custom competitions, World cup 2011 ( possibility to customize groups ).

possibility to create any customize club competition we want ( such as World Super League ). Possibility to develop a player and see him grow over the years, like being selected to play for a national side.

A career mode would be great to see how a club does over a period of 10 years for example. Possibility to download regular roster updates . i alos would like to see the great players of the past come alive in the game such as JPR Williams, Jean pierre Rive, David Campese... The great teams of the past ( 1984 Australian side, 1973 Barbarians, Welsh team of the 70s and so on.

Please develop the game for the PC. thank you again for developing this game

Hi everybody im new to the forum. Great news about Rugby 2012. I do hope team ratings and player abilities will be more accurate this time.

individual skills like the goose step for skillfull players like the william ryder, shane williams sidesteps that actually have an effect, and dumbys that work, chip kicks, proper big hits legal and illegal! yellow and red cards. make sure the players are actually different sizes and shapes and this influences the gameplay. tackle breaks and offloads. defo a 7's mode goose step hitch kick heven! could make an amazing game! online play and updates for free and to purchase like call of duty with the extra online sections to buy. so much potential soked they are finally making it!!!

Hi,

As I fan of pretty much all sports,

I would like to see Rugby 2012 be made using the new technologies being implemented into the new American Football games the HB Studios have a hand in.

I noticed a type of 'maul' like ability has shown up in NFL games which look very Rugby influenced and as a games developer, simple kit tweaks and basic rule changes to the games design you would have a very rough Rugby styled game.

If a lot of the current FIFA and MADDEN features could be translated into Rugby 2012 then I would be one happy Rugby player!

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Wow...high christmas list for HB Studios. The more reasonable the requests the more likely they could be taken on board, especially as they will be trying to appeal to a large auidence. Just keep that in mind guys.

Wow...high christmas list for HB Studios. The more reasonable the requests the more likely they could be taken on board, especially as they will be trying to appeal to a large auidence. Just keep that in mind guys.
You mean we won't have a feature that prints out the prize money for winning the premiership...?

Latest posts