• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012

Can anybody tell me whether EA is involve in this project?

Yes, EA Sports will most likely publish the game, as they have with all the rugby games previously. HB are the ones who will develop the game though, if that's what you're asking, EA Sports is not involved with that aspect of the game.

Online Play
Update-able player rosters - epsecially if new games dont come out regurlarly players/teams go in and out of form aswell as new players sign
Be a Pro mode would be awesome
Lions Tour

Options, Options Options must be available in the new version......

Create Players (even put your profile into the game like Tiger Woods)
Create Tournaments
Create Competitions (with various options for finals formats eg: Winfield Cup top 5, top 8)
Create Teams

Most importantly a free flowing, easy to pick-up game that has good opposition (or enough options to build up there defence )

Good to see another Rugby game and on PS3...........

I hope to be able to bring some small bits and pieces exclusively from HB after Easter.

hi guys is it official that they will be releasing a new rugby game??

and when would it be coming out?

To the mods,

Can you update the first post of this thread as news gradually becomes available while also updating the thread ***le.

For eg, "Rugby 2012 [Updated 04/04/10]"

This system works well on other forums, making it easier for those who visit in search of up to date information. It also minimises the amount of douche bag posts such as the one above.

Cheers

Last edited:
Some other ideas that crossed my mind.

In the event of a create/edit players option (which I think is a must have for that game as we don't know when the next is gonna come after that), It would be nice that like other sports games (NHL09/10 from the top of my head), Save files are not one big option file.
Iit would be nice to have the Roster save file separated on PS3/360 in order to have the community updating/modify the rosters and be able to share them (another thing would be to make sure than an alien roster file doesn't block out trophies on PS3).

Alternate position for players, especially in Be A Pro (if such a mode is in, I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread before). A lot a rugby players can play at different positions.
I say that because for example in NHL09/10 there's no alternate positions, so if you're a center contracted by the penguins, you'll never play on crosby's line because if you get promoted to first line, you'll boot him to second, which is stupid and unrealistic.
Imagine booting Carter out of the starting 15 playing for the crusaders... So a player could have one preferred position and one or two alternate for the coach to choose from, or you could have to coach AI determine what other position the player could be good at based off his stats.

Online play must have been discussed, as it's a must have for a sport game. Now that's the geek in me speaking, but I was thinking about being a little more innovative with online player ranking than just something based of win & losses.
Something inspired by the IRB ranking for nations could be pretty fun (but on a greater points scale). It wouldn't favor high ranked players playing low ranked players because there wouldn't be any point exchange, but would favor the bolds trying to overtake higher ranked players by trying to win against skilled players.

Another is: this time around, it would be nice to try to have ALL the rules in the IRB rulebook be integrated. I seem to remember for example in Rugby 08, when a kick-off/restart kick did go directly into touch, there was an automatic scrum at midfield.
While I can agree that because 99.9% (I would say 100% but I'll stay on the safe side) of the time, the team will choose the scrum, we could let that be an automatic.
But still, in the rulebook there's a choice: have the ball kicked-off again, scrum at midfield and accepting the kick (lineout on the halfway line). I think this is an important point.
If I feel that my scrum is suffering and that I'm more comfortable with my lineout, I would choose the lineout, given a chance to have a choice.
Another fine option would be to be able to edit rules: choice to activate them or not, choice of the different options an offence gives (though I suppose this would be harder to implement)

Last edited:
To the mods,

Can you update the first post of this thread as news gradually becomes available while also updating the thread ***le.

For eg, "Rugby 2012 [Updated 04/04/10]"

This system works well on other forums, making it easier for those who visit in search of up to date information. It also minimises the amount of douche bag posts such as the one above.

Cheers

I will be making a new thread for every bit of news that comes along. This is just to discuss the initial news, I will however happily include the date with any new news that I do bring, I think that's a good suggestion.

Can the phrase "douch bag" be banned while we're at it. God, I hate that phrase.

Another PCer here.

Firstly, I haven't played 08, but I remember in 06 the ball had some sort of gravitational pull and players just seemed to gather around it which was somewhat frustrating. Secondly, I'd like the game to be more...fluid. 06 was fun but felt pretty, er, stodgy for want of a better word. World Championship Rugby - for all its faults - just felt more slick.

Obviously there are some major programming challenges with rugby...I'd really like to see a lot of work put into the defensive side of the game - organisation, drift, blitz etc. I'd also like to see things such as the defensive line becoming more ragged as the players' stamina is depleted. Also, I'd love to see more emphasis put on mismatches in the backs - ie if you have a back vs a prop or forward's attacking ROG's 10 channel. Maybe put more emphasis on timing too (the animation system really has to be slick to do this right) in backplay - inside ball, crashballs etc.

Haha the young calves after the old bull, so to speak

Name calling is a little childish whoever throws first. That's not what our boards are about, mostly because people read these threads for the intended purpose, not for a boring argument. So just get on with the business at hand and lets all focus on putting together some good ideas here. There are no guarantees that everything people want will end up in the game, but be assured that this and other threads on Rugby 2012, will be noticed.

If it wasn't for people like you there would be no need for the "phrase" douche bag. No disrespect

..well. Well I've never. I'm putting you on my list on enemies. You're in for it now, Eric. Ha, no, look what I've really written:
I REALLY like Eric

HB will be using the forum and having representatives of their own.

Just thinking if HB are going to be looking at suggestions from this forum would it be good to have a seperate sub-forum called 'Rugby 2012 suggestions' or similar? Then in there users could post threads with their individual suggestions with an integrated poll feature with a simple 'Yes' or 'No' vote. Members vote, then the most popular suggestions could be passed on efficiently and easily to the powers that be.

If you want to see what I mean here is what I mean at pesfan.com where they have a similar affiliate system with Konami in the development of PES which has been running for years and works very well.

Just thinking if HB are going to be looking at suggestions from this forum would it be good to have a seperate sub-forum called 'Rugby 2012 suggestions' or similar? Then in there users could post threads with their individual suggestions with an integrated poll feature with a simple 'Yes' or 'No' vote. Members vote, then the most popular suggestions could be passed on efficiently and easily to the powers that be.

If you want to see what I mean here is what I mean at pesfan.com where they have a similar affiliate system with Konami in the development of PES which has been running for years and works very well.

That is 100% what I have advocated myself. There will be a streamlining to the suggestion process at some point very soon. Basically it will be in another separate thread and may initially be locked (with one post collecting a concise listing of suggestions) until we have sorted out a few polls to find the most important features to our membership. So, thanks very much for the suggestion and yes, it is very much in the works.

Just at the minute we are watching the thread very closely at the TRF end and will be making sure that every logical suggestion gets a chance to be considered in our polls.

In the meantime it'd be great to have not only your top 5's wants and what have you, but perhaps also your top 5 current features from earlier games that you'd like to see retained. Heck it'd even be good to see a politely worded top 3 (surely there can't be 5 ;) ) aspects you'd like done away with, or changed. All of those things are interesting too as sometimes new games have done away with existing features when moving to a new generation platform.

At the end of the day (and we'll probably say this a lot) it's highly likely that HB will not be able to incorporate every thought we all have, but there's no reason why we can't all suggest and hope. :)

Latest posts