• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 22

must be a licensing issue. Maybe his image in Toulon gear just standing around is his to own but the image of him on the rugby field is split between the Union and him? That's the only thing I can think of.

I picked the game up yesterday. Still waiting on my controllers to come in. Took a look at the main screen and what I saw from that the graphics aren't to far below Rugby Challenge 4. My main problem with Rugby Challenge 4 is that they went to unreal engine and that's a pain in the ass to mod

I'm probably being an idiot, but how on earth do you throw a dummy?
I think it's one of the right-stick moves, I've seen it when flicking the stick around.

What I can't work out is how to do open play set-pieces, sometimes green lines show up on the field but I don't know how to trigger them except for spamming the pass buttons.

The new update made the generic teams jerseys less ****.
I played a little bit on ps5 and it plays really smooth, graphics are still ps3/ps4ish but it is incredibly smooth.

Couldn't figure out how to dummy but I think pushing down one of the sticks triggers set plays.

I think it's one of the right-stick moves, I've seen it when flicking the stick around.

What I can't work out is how to do open play set-pieces, sometimes green lines show up on the field but I don't know how to trigger them except for spamming the pass buttons.
Yeah you have to use the right stick, directionally down seems to do a dummy most of the time but sometimes it does a step.
If you press the stick down (R3 etc) at the ruck it brings up a selection of set plays and then you use the D pad to select which out of the 4 you want to run.

If you press the stick down (R3 etc) at the ruck it brings up a selection of set plays and then you use the D pad to select which out of the 4 you want to run.
I know you can do set-plays from the ruck, but you can also have some open play moves whilst carrying the ball, like basic crosses, switches etc, I don't know how to do those.

I thought flicking it down was the 'stiff arm' I'm glad it's not just me that has no idea then

I know you can do set-plays from the ruck, but you can also have some open play moves whilst carrying the ball, like basic crosses, switches etc, I don't know how to do those.
Double tapping a pass in one direction results in a loop around in open play. Similarly. hitting pass in one direction and then the other direction results in a switch. You need to be reasonably close to another player to get this to work.

After an initial good first impression of this game, I am now pretty sure this is another failed attempt at making a rugby game.
There is hope if they can make some changes but this is unlikely and we have not seen this from the studio before.

You simply need to play set-pieces and pre-planned moves with your right analogue stick the whole time, its feels like American football.

Player selection for defending is slow and inaccurate. The biggest leak of tries is the poor selection tool and once you have selected a defending player you have limited control over his movement as there seems to be an auto drift towards the player, a type of assisted running, but this feels fake and as if your older brother made you think you are playing while the controller was unplugged. Do you want to cut the attacker with a sharp angle? No, the ai will make your player slowly drift towards the ball carrier. Once you are close all you have to do is press B. The right analogue tackle Is overly time-specific and is way too directional. It's clunky at best.

The passing is broken and you can't swing out to wings for a quick attack everything is purposefully slowed. The passing out of hand takes very long.
The kicking is inconsistent. Sometimes you can't change direction while you are punting other times you can. It does not always kick where it says it's going. If the wind was a factor that would have been ok but tested possible wind effects and if there, are it's inconsistent as for example in some games the ball always gets blown inwards.

Did I mention how slow passing was? even if you manage to get the ball to your wing before being smothered which is very rare, the wing is so under the pump and it's not a viable strategy.

The scrum mini-game remains boring. Lineouts are decent.
The lack of changing gameplay settings is sad, as you have to be happy with what the devs provided. That which they provide is very narrow.
No player transfers between teams or team customization. The career mode has potential but seems cheap, I guess this is what we should expect.

I would have held hope that an update can fix but this will probably come in the form of rugby 23 at another cost to the consumer.

After an initial good first impression of this game, I am now pretty sure this is another failed attempt at making a rugby game.
There is hope if they can make some changes but this is unlikely and we have not seen this from the studio before.

You simply need to play set-pieces and pre-planned moves with your right analogue stick the whole time, its feels like American football.

Player selection for defending is slow and inaccurate. The biggest leak of tries is the poor selection tool and once you have selected a defending player you have limited control over his movement as there seems to be an auto drift towards the player, a type of assisted running, but this feels fake and as if your older brother made you think you are playing while the controller was unplugged. Do you want to cut the attacker with a sharp angle? No, the ai will make your player slowly drift towards the ball carrier. Once you are close all you have to do is press B. The right analogue tackle Is overly time-specific and is way too directional. It's clunky at best.

The passing is broken and you can't swing out to wings for a quick attack everything is purposefully slowed. The passing out of hand takes very long.
The kicking is inconsistent. Sometimes you can't change direction while you are punting other times you can. It does not always kick where it says it's going. If the wind was a factor that would have been ok but tested possible wind effects and if there, are it's inconsistent as for example in some games the ball always gets blown inwards.

Did I mention how slow passing was? even if you manage to get the ball to your wing before being smothered which is very rare, the wing is so under the pump and it's not a viable strategy.

The scrum mini-game remains boring. Lineouts are decent.
The lack of changing gameplay settings is sad, as you have to be happy with what the devs provided. That which they provide is very narrow.
No player transfers between teams or team customization. The career mode has potential but seems cheap, I guess this is what we should expect.

I would have held hope that an update can fix but this will probably come in the form of rugby 23 at another cost to the consumer.
Maybe they based the passing off Ben Youngs? That would explain why its slow

How do you get the No.8 to pick up from scrums ?

Thoughts on the game.... I am really enjoying it as a Rugby Sim. I think this is the most complex/indepth gameplay Rugby game made to date so far (formations, turnovers, scrums, line outs, creating space) You have to work to create space and suck in defenders, if you want to button bash it wide all the time your winger will just get tackled with ease. I think its a huge step in the right direction for real rugby enthusiasts.

Gameplay

I think they need to sort out the forward pod to 10 wrap around / hook pass, the 10 or back runs through the forwards on my game, where it should flow if done correctly. I also think the attacking line is too flat or the defence is up to quick. Lastly maybe a more in-depth tutorial or controler instructions would be handy (how to dummy, step, use the set plays on the fly, pick up with the 8, change the width, depth etc...) It says in the top left when you have the ball but disappears to quickly.

Longevity

Move players about from team to team etc.... maybe create a Lions/ Babaa's team. Be a Pro mode. I'm sure they will add this in future ***les possibly ?

How do you get the No.8 to pick up from scrums ?

Im playing with a PS controller, but it's square plus the direction you want to break off to with the left stick. Needs to be done while the mini game is still going and the ball is by your eighthmans feet.

They really need to fix the weird sideways strafe running animation when you are chasing an opposition player towards your own try line. It should be their number one priority, it completely kills the game especially on higher difficulties.

They really need to fix the weird sideways strafe running animation when you are chasing an opposition player towards your own try line. It should be their number one priority, it completely kills the game especially on higher difficulties.
What's the career mode like? Is there any player development or form or anything? Is it engaging and fun or just match after match repetition.

Hi I just got the game, and I can't find any way to change the goal kicker in pre match. In the game it's always automatically the fly half. If anyone knows how to change that it would be great.

I haven't played a rugby game for a while Rugby League Live 4 probably the most recent. Like everyone else for union 08 was the still the benchmark.

I've been playing Rugby 22 about a week, really enjoying it despite a few glitches. I started out on semi-pro and when that became a bit easy, I went up to Pro. Wow that was a wake up call.

There's a steep learning curve, especially at ruck time. Get even a hint of isolation and you'll lose the ball. I'm getting a bit more success now recycling my own ruck ball which does create an overlap and when one on one on the outside the grubber is a bit overpowered but hey, the opposition wingers are pretty nifty at evading tackles too. I think I get most of my tries come from a loose kick and then racing out wide.

I haven't tried set moves yet, I'm trying to master the right stick at the moment, and do some of the moves the AI does against me.

A few things that bug me. The defensive line likes to just swap sides at a ruck sometimes? Preparing your kicker, he just seems to dash forward into the pack before you can get your kick away. There's a glitch where the Action camera get stuck in the middle of the pitch and doesn't pan back with the action.

Scrums seem 50/50 but I dominate the lineout. Things get very tricky when the AI starts throwing it around though, you have to get your tackle timing spot on.

All in all , good fun.

Does anyone have any tips on winning lineouts? I'm not sure if it's my PS5 controller or not, but when I hit triangle, it's almost non responsive however early or late I press. Very frustrating when I've got an attacking lineout 5m out!!!

This is £16 on MS store atm.

Thought I'd give it a try. Lasted 10 minutes. Dreadful. Refund.

Latest posts