• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 2006 review

I'm not sure actually, I'd have to go back and play WCR. I wouldn't include offloads and kicking either. Offloads more often than not, either go to the opposition or go to ground (even when you think you've got a guy on your shoulder).

Kicking is virtually redundant due to the fact that possession is so crucial.

the game is designed for people new to the rugby gaming scene it would seem. the game from all reports is very much arcade like in apporach and gameplay. this suits the first timer or casual gamer but for the more advanced the game seems to be lacking depth. things like the speed meter which most of us find annoying would be perfect for the casual gaming. same thing applies to rucks they are simple to fit in with the rest of the game.

for the advanced user the challenge seem to be on higher difficulty modes and using teams outside of the big 8 or so in the world.

the game proabbly is a step up from wcr but it seems not far enough for most people on this forum that are advanced users. it is seemingly a huge dissapoint for a game that was hyped up a lot on this forum.

If its a step up, someone tell me where the step up is, it sounds like WRC with a new cover??

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 31 2006, 10:24 PM
If its a step up, someone tell me where the step up is, it sounds like WRC with a new cover??
The Pros:

Tackling is more smoother

Offloads are in the game and the animation looks much realistic, much better than RL2

You can fend off players in front, not just from side and behind. And when fending, you dont lose speed like RL2

Sidesteps are much more improve. My god the RC 2006 sidesteps are the best ever in any rugby game. Its so realistic

Forwards are more usefull, they can break tackles and offload

Theres player stats in the game, but they dont tell much. They only have Handling, Kicking, Speed and Power. Also they dont effect the player much, especially kicking. I kick 40m field goals with players that have like 40 for kicking

Cons:

Cant create a player
Cant edit any players stats
Cant move players to different club teams
I dunno about other teams but Australia team lineup doesnt seem up to date. Wheres Matt Giteau? Why is Matthew Burke still in the squad? Howcome stephen larkham has no head gear?

Player likelesses are not accurate for SH teams. George Gregan is WHITE!!!. WTF, he was black in WCR. WTF happened there?

Thats all i can think off, if you want anymore info feel free to ask me

Um...thats coz southern Hemisphere teams are not Licensed. I suppose the thre are some good improvements then.

What about the world club type thing?

Wait...Matthew Burke , are you sure?? Sh teams should hav no real players or likenesses.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 31 2006, 11:04 AM
Wait...Matthew Burke , are you sure?? Sh teams should hav no real players or likenesses.
It's because he plays his club rugby for Newcastle Falcons - one of the licensed NH teams

Well its him

The commentators call him "Burke"

and his a fullback

Not that im complaining, his bloody good in the game. 96 Speed, i put him at flyhalf and he carves

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 31 2006, 11:02 PM
Um...thats coz southern Hemisphere teams are not Licensed. I suppose the thre are some good improvements then.

But WCR wasn't Licensed too, yet Gregan was still black and Larkham had a head gear

Originally posted by Paddy+Jan 31 2006, 11:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paddy @ Jan 31 2006, 11:09 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-CeeJay
@Jan 31 2006, 11:02 PM

But WCR wasn't Licensed too, yet Gregan was still black and Larkham had a head gear [/b]
I think, reading between the lines, that someone told them they were skating on thin ice with their likenesses last time, and so they had to make the players look completely different this time.

damn that sucks
<

well we assume it is him cos when he gets the ball, the commentators say "Burke"

But i compared his likenesses between newcastle falcons and australia but his face looks totally different. So i dunno wtf is going on there

1 thing i know for sure is Elton Flatley is still inside centre for Australia and not matt giteau
<

So does that mean elton flatley is Licensced too? does he play in europe. Giteau will definately not be licensed.

No elton flatley plays for the QLD reds

the reason why i know its flatley because his inside centre for Australia and Fly Half for QLD

well this is game is utter balls now. the career mode is completely filled with fake players. not even the licensed players in there. the rest of the modes are not worth getting the game for especially if you are from the sh.

Originally posted by esoj@Feb 1 2006, 12:11 PM
well this is game is utter balls now. the career mode is completely filled with fake players. not even the licensed players in there. the rest of the modes are not worth getting the game for especially if you are from the sh.
Does gameplay count for nothing then? I agree it spoils it massively, but this is still a great fun game to play! Especially at the bargain price...

Esoj sounds like one of lifes' eternal pessimists. Why don't you just try the game on its own merits instead of worrying about the Waratahs prop having the correct colour nasal hair or something. People go on about JLR as being a fun game STILL, if the lack of licences, etc bother you that much, dont buy the game. Move on with your life, lose the black cloud, lighten up.Its just a bl00dy videogame.

Or maybe I'm not hardcore enough..poor me.

Take all the famous players out of Virtual Tennis and I guarantee it would still be a great
game. License issues shouldnt be the be all and end all of a sports games success, if they are, well then other dev co's may as well stop now and let Uncle EA run the show.

Games used to be about fun, now its just about having the right face on the box.

Agreed, but if they can't get player likeness or real names, they should include a create/change player option. That way, we'd all be happy.

I don't mind not having the real faces etc. the gameplay is important and sadly the gameplay is this game is aimed at a casual gamer for a quick game. the careeer mode is pure crap. you can't even buy real nh players. which swordfish do have the licenses for.

sure gameplay matters but why not have it aimed for a slightly higher level of player iq.

and yes being able to create new players etc would have been good but that does not appear to be the case. the files are locked away etc.

I would have been perfectly happy with a decent career mode but sadly swordfish stuffed up on that as well

Latest posts