• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 2006 review

Originally posted by esoj@Feb 2 2006, 08:24 AM
I don't mind not having the real faces etc. the gameplay is important and sadly the gameplay is this game is aimed at a casual gamer for a quick game. the careeer mode is pure crap. you can't even buy real nh players. which swordfish do have the licenses for.

sure gameplay matters but why not have it aimed for a slightly higher level of player iq.

and yes being able to create new players etc would have been good but that does not appear to be the case. the files are locked away etc.

I would have been perfectly happy with a decent career mode but sadly swordfish stuffed up on that as well
career mode is very good

but yes its a fantasy franchise

but the training and boosting up ur team is sick as, assigning coaches and buying new players

i'm not playing any of the other international modes until i get a player listing for SH.

but i have changed the tourno names already....looks nice and official at first glance
<

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Feb 2 2006, 01:26 AM
Take all the famous players out of Virtual Tennis and I guarantee it would still be a great
game. License issues shouldnt be the be all and end all of a sports games success, if they are, well then other dev co's may as well stop now and let Uncle EA run the show.

Games used to be about fun, now its just about having the right face on the box.
well put.

RC2006 is the funnest, and most hectic rugby game since ruggers 2001.

I mean its non stop, kinda like JLR.

The rucks are like a whole new mini game.........u dont sit and watch a dodgy animation...........u dont get a breather until half time

and this button mashing stuff

ITS ALL BS....................there is no button mashing

3 guys are already and always committed to the ruck, thus u only gotto press x 5 more time to get the pack in......5 times...is that button mashing...and besides, u never do it all the time coz u'll never win a ruck, coz u gotto pounce on other breakdowns, where the CPU may lack the pack, coz they committed to the previous breakdown.........

RL2 is 10000 times the button mashing this is..........IN FACT, THERE IS NO BUTTON MASHING.........PERIOD, END OF BUTTON MASHING RUMOURS
<

Originally posted by ak47+Feb 2 2006, 09:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Feb 2 2006, 09:21 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT
@Feb 2 2006, 01:26 AM
Take all the famous players out of Virtual Tennis and I guarantee it would still be a great 
game. License issues shouldnt be the be all and end all of a sports games success, if they are, well then other dev co's may as well stop now and let Uncle EA run the show.

Games used to be about fun, now its just about having the right face on the box.
well put.

RC2006 is the funnest, and most hectic rugby game since ruggers 2001.

I mean its non stop, kinda like JLR.

The rucks are like a whole new mini game.........u dont sit and watch a dodgy animation...........u dont get a breather until half time

and this button mashing stuff

ITS ALL BS....................there is no button mashing

3 guys are already and always committed to the ruck, thus u only gotto press x 5 more time to get the pack in......5 times...is that button mashing...and besides, u never do it all the time coz u'll never win a ruck, coz u gotto pounce on other breakdowns, where the CPU may lack the pack, coz they committed to the previous breakdown.........

RL2 is 10000 times the button mashing this is..........IN FACT, THERE IS NO BUTTON MASHING.........PERIOD, END OF BUTTON MASHING RUMOURS
<
[/b]
I've already said that at the bottom of this -

http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4733

<<RC2006 is the funnest, and most hectic rugby game since ruggers 2001.>>

where was AK'snomination for comedian of the year? I mean come on folks!!!

<
<

That rugby 2001 sure was a great game....if my memory serves me right, it had COOL AS rucks....

there was the small matter of having more momentum than a runaway Mack truck at 400 km/h.........the fluidity of concrete.....the ability to run sideways on an angle and dummy more than 10 players at once......I could go on and on and on.....

your obsession with rucks to the ignorance of almost EVERY other aspect of a game is unhealthy...even misleading.

still mates AK?

<

<jokes>

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 2 2006, 10:59 AM

<
<

That rugby 2001 sure was a great game....if my memory serves me right, it had COOL AS rucks....

there was the small matter of having more momentum than a runaway Mack truck at 400 km/h.........the fluidity of concrete.....the ability to run sideways on an angle and dummy more than 10 players at once......I could go on and on and on.....

your obsession with rucks to the ignorance of almost EVERY other aspect of a game is unhealthy...even misleading.

still mates AK?

<

<jokes>
well Rugby 2001 was good at the breakdown

sure it had RL2 momentum...crap...........crap passing too, and yes dummying 10 players yeah

but this has WCR momentum, with rucking.

do the math

ur taking too much of my comparison
u cannot deny rugby2001 was good fun..........sure it had issues but still fun
RL2 is NOT fun
Rugby2005, is simulated thus the fun sometimes taken away.

there wont be any excuses for losing in RC2006

i can think of a page of excuses for losing in EA05.......oh i lost the ball with my whole pack in the ruck, coz i entered the redzone

its all the user in RC2006...........nobody can say the AI/CPU ripped me off

Originally posted by ak47+Feb 2 2006, 12:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Feb 2 2006, 12:13 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Feb 2 2006, 10:59 AM

<

<

still mates AK?

<

<jokes>

sure it had RL2 momentum...crap...........crap passing too, and yes dummying 10 players yeah

do the math

RL2 is NOT fun

i can think of a page of excuses for losing in EA05.......oh i lost the ball with my whole pack in the ruck, coz i entered the redzone

its all the user in RC2006...........nobody can say the AI/CPU ripped me off [/b]
I hated rugby 2001 - and , no, I don't think it was fun...not after a few games...not at all.

just being honest.

also, I think rugby 05 was twice, nay thrice, the game rugby 2001 was.

also that redzone thing is crap.....stop letting your player fall straight....this turnover thing you talk about is not just the game's fault...it does NOT happen to me. Maybe in my own 22 if I am being reckless....and maybe if the tackle is dominant on me...but otherwise,,VERY RARELY.

Like your take on button mashing in WCR2....I have to say that the problem you speak of is, in the main, not a problem at all.

I am tired of repeating this, but must address the facts when I see 05 getting slagged as it is quite irritating.

Peace.
<

Originally posted by Los Lover+Feb 2 2006, 11:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Feb 2 2006, 11:46 AM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Feb 2 2006, 12:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover

<

<

still mates AK?

<

<jokes>

do the math

RL2 is NOT fun

I hated rugby 2001 - and , no, I don't think it was fun...not after a few games...not at all.

just being honest.

also that redzone thing is crap.....stop letting your player fall straight....this turnover thing you talk about is not just the game's fault...it does NOT happen to me. Maybe in my own 22 if I am being reckless....and maybe if the tackle is dominant on me...but otherwise,,VERY RARELY.

Like your take on button mashing in WCR2....I have to say that the problem you speak of is, in the main, not a problem at all.

I am tired of repeating this, but must address the facts when I see 05 getting slagged as it is quite irritating.

Peace.
<
[/b]
dont get me wrong i like EA2005

its just sometimes it felt as though the AI would make **** up on me in the rucks

its nicely simulated in regards to tactical kicking, isolation, etc..no doubts.

but i found i'd be kicking alot.........too much, coz on HARD, u never got to retain the ball for too long....especially in WL on HARD with Heffler n Co..........what ball....i'd have 10% and still win coz of my tactical kicking...........10% of possession IS NOT FUN AT ALL

I do not have ur edited version..........
<

Whilst RC2006 is by no means a simulation.........its fun, and u wanna play it again, which is good for the moment

I played EA05 over and over coz its a good representation of the game...in the NH anyways, coz down here we run it our of our 22m, and in EA05 you would be subjected to a higher element of risk in losing possesion if u never kicked it out from ur 22m

Originally posted by ak47+Feb 2 2006, 12:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Feb 2 2006, 12:59 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 2 2006, 11:46 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover

<

<

still mates AK?

<

<jokes>

do the math

RL2 is NOT fun

just being honest.

Peace.
<

its just sometimes it felt as though the AI would make **** up on me in the rucks

but i found i'd be kicking alot.........too much, coz on HARD, u never got to retain the ball for too long....especially in WL on HARD with Heffler n Co..........what ball....i'd have 10% and still win coz of my tactical kicking...........10% of possession IS NOT FUN AT ALL

<

Whilst RC2006 is by no means a simulation.........its fun, and u wanna play it again, which is good for the moment

I played EA05 over and over coz its a good representation of the game...in the NH anyways, coz down here we run it our of our 22m, and in EA05 you would be subjected to a higher element of risk in losing possesion if u never kicked it out from ur 22m [/b]
Okay...but I won the first round of WL last time with four tey bonus point! Heffler, Donnison, Nawali, Dramm and McCarthy ALL got tries.....and yes, some from inside the 22...

also the edited version just makes life HARDER for you...SO......it would be even easier for me to do this with the non-edited version...meaning = it can be done.

I kept a track of my possession and territory stats for the game, becos I thought you might say this....

possession - 59%

territory - 44%

those are the honest stats from the game.

I only kick when in deep doodos and generally attack from anywhere, against anyone and any team, even with absolutely no purchased players in my WL team at all...on Hard....and suped up with edited opposition (although few in thrid division admitttedly).....so it is that the kicking and hold on for dear life tactic when you have no players is a tactic you have been unable to move past or step up and beyond with style, flair and breakneck button switching, angles etc etc....

as I say, I just think you gave up on 05too quickly, as many asseetons aren;t correct....HOWEVER - rugby 06 will hook you in long enough that you come to grips with all this I am sure.

enjoy!!
<

Originally posted by Los Lover+Feb 2 2006, 01:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Feb 2 2006, 01:10 PM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Feb 2 2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 2 2006, 11:46 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover

<

<

still mates AK?

<

<jokes>

do the math

RL2 is NOT fun

just being honest.

Peace.
<

<

I played EA05 over and over coz its a good representation of the game...in the NH anyways, coz down here we run it our of our 22m, and in EA05 you would be subjected to a higher element of risk in losing possesion if u never kicked it out from ur 22m
Okay...but I won the first round of WL last time with four tey bonus point! Heffler, Donnison, Nawali, Dramm and McCarthy ALL got tries.....and yes, some from inside the 22...

also the edited version just makes life HARDER for you...SO......it would be even easier for me to do this with the non-edited version...meaning = it can be done.

I kept a track of my possession and territory stats for the game, becos I thought you might say this....

possession - 59%

territory - 44%

those are the honest stats from the game.

I only kick when in deep doodos and generally attack from anywhere, against anyone and any team, even with absolutely no purchased players in my WL team at all...on Hard....and suped up with edited opposition (although few in thrid division admitttedly).....so it is that the kicking and hold on for dear life tactic when you have no players is a tactic you have been unable to move past or step up and beyond with style, flair and breakneck button switching, angles etc etc....

as I say, I just think you gave up on 05too quickly, as many asseetons aren;t correct....HOWEVER - rugby 06 will hook you in long enough that you come to grips with all this I am sure.

enjoy!!
<
[/b]
also - HUH???

you have swicthed from saying you lose rucks in their 22 to saying you lose rucks in your own 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please look back over your other posts and do not switch from original argument...

endless rucks in your own 22 is to be discouraged in sim and real rugby.....kick OR make the breakout run which you have risked...that is OBVIOUS and perfetcly done by 05.

in opposition 22 on attack...you are usually fine winning rucks.....

anyway, if you are playing well and know what you are doing...your momentum bar will be higher and you will win rucks and step out of tackles etc....getting it higher and higher...and so on......it is very accurate, however you must be playing the game properly to lift it...especially in WL with no players....need to hit rucks etc..this is why you always lose your rucks as you say.

Hope helps/sheds some light
<

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 2 2006, 12:10 PM

enjoy!!
<
with 2 full cabinets on normal and hard - TURN IT UP

i never gave up on EA05.

its still does have a random element in the rucking

heck my experiement with putting nobody into rucks proves this......4 games won......not 1 ruck contested, so in reality i should have NO BALL

if i dont contest a ruck...i should not win it................in video game rugby...THAT IS THE LAW.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 2 2006, 12:15 PM
you have swicthed from saying you lose rucks in their 22 to saying you lose rucks in your own 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please look back over your other posts and do not switch from original argument...

endless rucks in your own 22 is to be discouraged in sim and real rugby.....kick OR make the breakout run which you have risked...that is OBVIOUS and perfetcly done by 05.

in opposition 22 on attack...you are usually fine winning rucks.....

\
before u tell me to look at my previous posts
keep in mind it happens on both sides of the 22m

in attack

u lose the ball sooner than later

in defense

u lose the ball later, provided u get know-where and dont kick

STOP STICKING UP FOR EA05 RUCKING ENGINE

Its crap, everyone know its crap, was a big request (by majority) to get right in EA06.

Ur sticking up for something that doesnt work - EFFICIENTLY
EA07 - new rucking will prove ur satisfaction for 2005's rucks, is just a placebo thinking u actually controls the rucks........have fun with that, coz its sticking up for spilt milk........they plain suck and are unsatisfactory, especially when u go and play a real rucking system like RC2006, Rugby2001, and JLR.

EA rucks havent changed since 2004, so i guess it must be good
<

Going back to AKs original post. Sounds FUN...

Which was all I was hoping for. I know it's not simulation, I know it' not licensed (for us) and I know its not realistic, but it does seem like it will give me some FUN times... JLR was FUN. JLR didn't have likenesses, JLR wasn't a simulation, JLR was unrealistc (fending off an entire team with Jonah), but JLR was FUN.

Cheers for the little analysis AK.

Still too topsy turvy on overall opinions for me to dedicate my hard-earned moolah to just yeat, but a rent tomorrow should help me decide...

The beauty of JLR though was that it wasn't just fun, it felt and played like a game of rugby union. It nailed a few fundamentals of rugby that made playing it really satisfying.

Originally posted by mikeeboy@Feb 2 2006, 10:48 PM
The beauty of JLR though was that it wasn't just fun, it felt and played like a game of rugby union. It nailed a few fundamentals of rugby that made playing it really satisfying.
yep - and FAR better likenesses than TC2006 for SH - hilarious (it is te yers old!!) lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<
<
<
<

To be honest, I don't think the likenesses of the licensed NH players are that great. Very chunky and cartoony. I'm playing as Cardiff and know all of the players but there's only a few I identify wehn playing side on.

I know Quinell has got it when the big bald slow guy gets it. I know when Nicky Robinson gets it, cos he's wicked fast, and when the black guy on the wing gets it, it's Lomu.

lol no, his the fastest in the game. Prolly best player in the game

100 speed
91 power

No other backs compares with him

Latest posts