• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 3 confirmed

This is seriously k@k man, they had the game at that NZL expo over the weekend... actual gameplay footage and nothing to market? REALLY?? damn how bad of a company are you that you cant even release a damn trailer? or even screenshots of other teams etc! i just hope when the game comes out, we are not dissapointed...

nuff said...

If they've already made the trailer then why trublu havnt put it online. It all seems fishy

Laziness and incompetence seem to be the most likely answers there. Honestly, this company never does anything to promote their games... it's quite astonishing they're still afloat after 16 years.

well i'll just wait and see if its good or not. It cant be worse than RC2. One thing i wanna know, for the licensed teams, are they going to put their world cup kits into the game?

This is unbelievable... It's world cup final weekend... Springboks, Wallabies and All Blacks are all in action and all licensed and we haven't had a word on the FINISHED game this week? How? How can everyone involved with the game have such a clear lack of thought in regards to marketing this game? It is beyond me. JUST SAY SOMETHING!

This is unbelievable... It's world cup final weekend... Springboks, Wallabies and All Blacks are all in action and all licensed and we haven't had a word on the FINISHED game this week? How? How can everyone involved with the game have such a clear lack of thought in regards to marketing this game? It is beyond me. JUST SAY SOMETHING!

You can't even Pre order it on Amazon!! Don't they want my money?

You really have to wonder about Tru Blu don't you... why bother winning all those big licenses if you're not even going to capitalise on them? Seriously, with the RWC finished I am not going to bother with a rugby game until Super Rugby starts next year and I can imagine plenty of others will feel the same.

You really have to wonder about Tru Blu don't you... why bother winning all those big licenses if you're not even going to capitalise on them? Seriously, with the RWC finished I am not going to bother with a rugby game until Super Rugby starts next year and I can imagine plenty of others will feel the same.

That footage showed it to be just the same old stuff to me. I honestly think they need to not even think about release until the start of Super Rugby, but get it out week one or two of that. It'll be early enough that there'll still be the 6 Nations to promote it beside in the Northern Hemisphere. They need to produce something better than that same disorganised shambles of players standing any-old-where and floaty passes with butter-fingers style that they're straight out replicating from RC1 and RC2. Players don't look like hard men fastly thudding along a pitch in that. They look like they're slipping around on the surface!

I hope like heck that they've at least gotten rid of the myriad of bugs that crept into Rugby Challenge 2 in particular and sorted out the off-load craziness of both games.

I honestly believe that Tru Blu have given this to Wicked Witch for two reasons. Big Ant weren't willing to use the existing engine and assets and it sounds like they wanted to build a better game from almost scratch. Also, if Big Ant gets all the projects and Wicked Witch eventually went under, Tru Blu would only have Big Ant that they could deal with in Australasia and that would give too much negotiating power to Big Ant.

As for promotion, it's not so much down to Wicked Witch, that's Tru Blu's department. They can not feel confident about the work if they're saying and showing very little and putting it out quietly into public playtest to gauge reaction.

Last edited:
oh this game looks really disappointing. Almost the exact same gameplay.....

same terrible rucks and offload system etc

Whilst I'll agree that super rugby is the best comp in the world at the moment, to sugggest there's no point releasing the game until the super rugby season is about to start is a bit narrow minded, bearing in mind that all of the domestic comps in the NH are well underway, the sales from the NH will undoubtedly far surpass those from the SH, and despite the lack of licensed NH leagues the game is still highly anticipated up here.

Yes there are concerns about the game, but I'd rather they just released it so we can all form our own impressions instead of leaving us in this limbo!

Whilst I'll agree that super rugby is the best comp in the world at the moment, to sugggest there's no point releasing the game until the super rugby season is about to start is a bit narrow minded, bearing in mind that all of the domestic comps in the NH are well underway, the sales from the NH will undoubtedly far surpass those from the SH, and despite the lack of licensed NH leagues the game is still highly anticipated up here.

Yes there are concerns about the game, but I'd rather they just released it so we can all form our own impressions instead of leaving us in this limbo!

Your post seems to assume that I think that the release date should be dictated by Super Rugby and I don't think that at all. My post mainly covered two things. The game (even the little that has been seen and said about it), obviously needs more time and work. Those who've played it have said it's effectively the same game. There's information out there that says the engine is being ported over and that HD enhancement, texture enhancement, bug fixes, Be A Pro and Sevens are primarily the focus of this release.

Secondly, I was suggesting it would need a new release and promotional window, with great tie-in sales potential. This would require it to release around the time of great competitions in both hemipsheres. Right now there is nothing to promote the game alongside in the Southern Hemisphere. Where I am in New Zealand, sure there is, we've won the World Cup, so sure it would do well here, but we are a small market, it wouldn't be worth it. In Australia and South Africa it would be relatively sales suicide to release in the next month, with only Christmas to help matters. Whereas a release in late February would get the timing in sync with the Six Nations AND Super Rugby. Right now, sure you'd be able to TRY to push the game strongly in the Northern Hemisphere and they are a great sized market, but come on! No NH team made it into the semis of the World Cup and England didn't make it to the quarters. That would hurt sales, particularly within the semi-casual market. Nothing I said was about Super Rugby being the focus of release, it was about marketing globally which is key as sales of niche ***les such as Rugby games are important.

Throw into that the fact that a large chunk of the semi-casual rugby game market has probably already bought RWC 2015, and some uninformed buyers will not be keen to take a punt on Rugby Challenge 3 for a while yet. You have to remember that the casual market is significantly greater than the hardcore fanbase and now is not the time to get the full reward for casting your net. Sure I'd gladly buy it, but Rugby games aren't huge money-spinners, so need all the sales they can get. You'd possibly get a lot of parents buying the wrong Rugby game for Christmas etc by seeing "World Cup" and thinking "that'll be the one to get".

Waiting and working for 3.5 months (assuming Tru Blu would fund it), would be the best thing for the game especially if game-play is not currently a significant improvement. Releasing a crappy port of an old game, with bolt-on features and the same game-play would be a temporary curiousity and provide an excited week or two for people before they started wishing that it'd been worked on longer, enhanced with better overall gameplay and tested properly. We'd end up all calling for a big patch within a week and Tru Blu don't like to fund many of them, judging on Rugby Challenge's past.

Still, you're entitled to your view. I just wanted to discuss mine and clarify my feelings that seemed distorted in your reply.

Last edited:
Game is finished, trailer is finished, boxed and ready to ship. Waiting on Trublu to get their ass into gear. It plays the same as Rugby League Live 3 from what I've heard.

Game is finished, trailer is finished, boxed and ready to ship. Waiting on Trublu to get their ass into gear. It plays the same as Rugby League Live 3 from what I've heard.

Nice to hear from you again Woldog. I hear you on the trailer and the boxes being made, but last I heard Ross from Big Ant was saying this on his forums and he does tend to know a thing or two in relation to Tru Blu.

https://forum.bigant.com/thread-3364-post-63864.html#pid63864

Is there somewhere else that they confirm the game is finished?

Yeah, I saw that on their twitter page too. You have to wonder what Tru Blu are doing... anyone know how many staff they have? Can't imagine there are too many of them, because their webpage looks positively 1990s and their public relations activity is close to zero.

I may be making incorrect assumptions but it seems quite clear to me that Tru Blu are focussing on milking Rugby League Live 3 as much as possible before considering releasing Rugby Challenge 3. For a start, they've delayed RC3 so long that a bunch of us union fans have resorted to buying RLL3, myself included. That's not to say that I regret it, I'm really enjoying the game and it was worth the money in my opinion.

The earlier exposure of RLL3 makes it obvious. The level of communication seemed higher with regard to RLL3 whereas they are leaving us in the dark and keeping us frustrated over RC3. There aren't a million reasons for a company to have such opposite approaches when it comes to selling games.

It would have been financial suicide to realease both games at the same time. Especially games that are so simillar (both rugby games). So, i'm not holding my breathe over this one.

I may be making incorrect assumptions but it seems quite clear to me that Tru Blu are focussing on milking Rugby League Live 3 as much as possible before considering releasing Rugby Challenge 3. For a start, they've delayed RC3 so long that a bunch of us union fans have resorted to buying RLL3, myself included. That's not to say that I regret it, I'm really enjoying the game and it was worth the money in my opinion.

The earlier exposure of RLL3 makes it obvious. The level of communication seemed higher with regard to RLL3 whereas they are leaving us in the dark and keeping us frustrated over RC3. There aren't a million reasons for a company to have such opposite approaches when it comes to selling games.

It would have been financial suicide to realease both games at the same time. Especially games that are so simillar (both rugby games). So, i'm not holding my breathe over this one.

Most of that makes sense to me. To be honest, commercially what's the point of releasing a Rugby game immediately after a World Cup, with the casual fans of 19 nations possibly feeling disappointed with how their teams have gone?

Before a cup, of course! During a cup, up to the quarters, yeah why not? After the final and with things deflating for many, no you shouldn't. It makes so much more commercial sense to wait until the beginning of the next major comps for both hemispheres.

Still, commercially silly ideas happen all the time, so why not with Rugby (again).

That Scottish chap on youtube uploaded a video where a subscriber got a message from Tru Blu who said that the game isn't finished. Don't know how reliable it is...

Latest posts