Rugby Europe Championship & Trophy 2022

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
The REC has two parallel championships this year. The first is a straight fight to win the ti.tle, with Georgia being the defending champions.

The second is carrying over the points from last season (see below), with the combined totals of 2021 and 2022 ensuring RWC qualification places. 1st and 2nd combined autoqualify, 3rd ends up in the repechage playoffs against equivalent sides from Africa, Asia and the Americas. Georgia have all but ensured qualification, meaning Spain, Portugal, Romania and Russia will fight it out for the remaining 2 spots.

Screenshot_20220115-193600_Gallery.jpg

Matches will be streamed below.

d644aade-a606-ed4f-0000-017e5f49f5df

The RE Trophy is a little more unusual in that, presumably due to Covid, only part of the 2021 event was completed, so the contest will be carried over to 2022. The table below shows the state of play. There are repeated strong claims the top two finishers in the Trophy will be offered promotion for an expanded REC of 8 teams for 2023.

Belgium remain favourites despite not playing a Trophy fixture in 2021. There is potential that be the only team to play all five fixtures in a row in 2022 may be to their advantage.

20220115_200640.jpg

Matches will be streamed at the link below.

Very mild controversy continues in that the World Rugby appointed performance review of Spain, using Hourcade of Sudamerica rugby appears to have been extended indefinitely. With Hourcade as High Performance Director for both Spain and Portugal in addition to the same role covering the whole of South America.

Hourcade's protege Raul Perez is also coming over to assist Spain in their development, presumably quitting his job as Paraguay head coach and head coach of Olimpia Lions in SLAR.

I don't particularly like this for four reasons:

i) World Rugby taking urgent action to improve Spain mid way through a RWC qualification campaign, which may be to the detriment of Spain's rivals. It smacks of WR trying to assist areas they consider most promising commercially. I wish Spain and Portugal every success in the future but will be cheering on Russia and Romania for this qualification (and I like Hourcade, he is very astute, so its nothing personal).

ii) I'm sure Hourcade has his hands full covering the whole of South America and this will dilute his role there.

iii) it would leave Olimpia Lions high and dry without their coach on the of SLAR (another possible sign of a lack of funds in SLAR).

iv) If Chile meets Portugal or Spain the repechage, which is a likely scenario, then there is a big conflict of interest for Hourcade.

Hopefully all a storm in the teacup.

Portugal announce a squad with a couple of former French u20s captured under the eligibility rule. I think they'll be competiitve but these two new additions won't make the difference between them qualifying for the RWC and not qualifying.

Sounds like Georgia have selected a side with more Black Lion players than expected, rather than taking all their French based ones. So perhaps there is hope for other nations in the tournament.

Romania vs Russia definitely the pick of the matches this weekend. If Russia win it'll throw the RWC qualification into chaos, but at home I think Romania will be quite strong favourites. If they are allowed a crowd in their superb stadium that is.

Georgia hosting Portugal may also be surprisingly competitive. Neither game clashes with the 6N either thanks to the joys of eastern European timezones.
20220201_153209.jpg

Rugby Europe site crashing, alternative Romanian feed.

30% crowd capacity limit in Romania and Georgia. Romania losing key players Melinte, Surgueli(?) and Popa before kick-off (Covid?) as well as two others I don't know so well.

Not a bad start to the Muir era. I wish Russia every fortune in qualifying for the RWC, but Romania are my first love in the REC and I am nervous for them.

Saying Russia also have at least 5 players out with Covid. So it is even. I am more relaxed for Romania now. Commentator saying 16 of the Russian 23 have 3 or less caps (although this includes the three debutants under eligibility switch).

Ref is right to threaten to start issuing cards if there are handbags after every stop in play.

Yes, Romania have settled and seem a bit more physical and creative than Russia. It will be a long afternoon for the Bears if they can't get a score before the half.

Gaisen embarrassing the Oaks with that dummy. Russia just hanging in there Romania may get nervous if this gets closer.

Russian winger stands in touch to receive a pass and is immediately substituted :D

I assume he was injured though.

You have 6 debutants, haven't conceded a point in the second half and are away to a very good Romanian side. I think you'll still lose but at least you are showing spirit.

Latest posts