• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby field should be 68m*120m

sigesige00

Bench Player
According to the rules, the width of Rugby field is 144m (ingoal 22m). However, this rule is mostly ignored and most Rugby stadium has 10m ingoal.
The rule should be changed to 10m ingoal. And, like American football, the goal should be placed on the dead boal line, not goal line.
What do you think?

According to the rules, the width of Rugby field is 144m (ingoal 22m). However, this rule is mostly ignored and most Rugby stadium has 10m ingoal.
The rule should be changed to 10m ingoal. And, like American football, the goal should be placed on the dead boal line, not goal line.
What do you think?

I prefer Canadian Football with bigger ingoals and post on the goal line (there would be more penalties in the end because the players would know that it is tougher to score a penalty).

What do you think?

The southern hemisphere stadia normally have quite large ingoal areas. I think its better that way as there is more leeway for the chip throughs or league style kick-passes that everyone loves. The stadiums with 10 metre ingoals are just silly, especially when they put signage at the end of it or even having running tracks on their edge, its almost dangerous.

I always thought it would be a good idea to put the goalposts on the deadball aswell. it would get rid of the need for that silly touch the ball against the posts rule

I'm pretty sure there is not an exact in-goal length or overall width a rugby pitch has to be. There are maximum and minumum figures, but it's then up to the home team what size they make it (within those numbers). Certain pitches are considered quite wide (Millenium stadium for example), while others are narror (can't think of an example off the top of my head). Attacking teams usually try to make the pitch as wide as possible to increase the space to attack, whilst conservative teams prefer narrower pitches.

As for in-goal length, that varies massively. Murrayfield for example has a mahoosive in-goal area. That is handy for teams attempting a chip etc. as ranger said. I personally don't particularity like grubber chips or kick passes all that much (although there is a place for them in union), I always much prefer a try scored through the hands.

Apparently a long time ago (1800,s) there was no such thing as a deadball line. However one player scored a try after chasing a kick landing waay past the try-line (on a pitch with open fields surrounding it). Realising how rediculous this was, a deadball line was introduced. Not quite sure where I read or heard that story, or if it's true, but an interesting little story non the less.

Space should probably be left after the deadball line so that players don't sustain injuries by slamming into advertising board and stuff. This is especially true on wet days where players chasing a grubber etc. often slide heavily into these boards.

I dunno, I like it the way it is. I get what you mean about the stadiums with only 10m in goal areas - Cardiff City Stadium has a tiny one, but it's all part of the modern game now because many club teams need to share stadium with football teams, which results in smaller in goal areas. I get what you mean about the advertising boards can be dangerous. I remember Thom Evans scoring by diving on a chip through against Cardiff, and because it was pouring down with rain he slid straight into the boards and hurt himself. Think he was fine afterwards, was just a knock, but still could be dangerous.
I like the touch the ball afainst the bottom of the posts. Players still have to be tactically aware to take advantage of it.

As the proud scorer of 6 tries through diving on kicks during one 7s match today, I can say that 20-metre goal lines are my best friend and should stay. I did score a further hattrick in that game just with the hands, if anyone's intrested/I'm ever low on confidence and need a reminder of how amazing I am.

As the proud scorer of 6 tries through diving on kicks during one 7s match today, I can say that 20-metre goal lines are my best friend and should stay. I did score a further hattrick in that game just with the hands, if anyone's intrested/I'm ever low on confidence and need a reminder of how amazing I am.
Haha, not bad
I got two intercepts in a match before, that's my biggest streak :p

Latest posts