• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League 3 ideas.

Another little thing I just thought of was the Right stick could be used as a strafe button so left and right on the stick makes the players stay square than either flick up to perform the shoulder charge or down for a regular tackle.

Also when controlling your man closest to the ball perhaps if you bring him out of the line quickly the two or three players either side of him could advance forward as well sort of like a rush defence.

On The Fly Attacking Options. I've been trying for a while now to think of a way to get realistic set plays into the next game, but I wanted them to work in such a way that you could control and create the play on the fly.

Well, I actually think I've struck gold on this one. I have come up with ideas that I think can work really well with my earlier defence ideas. The following things could possibly now occur in the game and be controlled on the fly

* Decoy runners
* More realistic kick chases
* Run arounds, Multiples even could be possible
* Mix of run arounds, cutout passes, more realistic kick n chases
* Choice of deep or flat attack depending on aggressiveness

Maybe even more could happen with the controls I came up with that I haven't even realised yet. Or this idea could go up in flames.
tongue.gif

Anyway here they are, I hope you understand how everything will work as I explain the ideas. I'll try and explain them as I imagine them working.

Attacking Play Controls (PS2/3 controls)

Left Stick= Move player with ball, jog/run/sprint, Move player without ball in run around play (see on the fly play control for more on this)

Right Stick= Tap X to select between kicking options and running options, a small arrow would appear in front of the player with the ball to indicate that kicking options are selected.

Kicking options are, Punt, Grubber, Chip, Bomb, Field Goal, Cross Kick, Banana Kick Left, Banana kick Right. Each kicking option fits to one of the eight directions of the stick and could be customisable.

Running options are, Jump/contest/Dive for ball, Fend left, Fend Right, Step Left, Step right, Spin left, Spin right, Score Try. Again each option fits to one of the eight directions of the stick and again could be customisable.

Passing= Same passing options as in RL2.

Dummy Pass= Hold L1 and tap L2 to dummy Left, Hold R1 and tap R2 to dummy Right.

On The Fly Play Control *NEW*

L2= Tap or press and hold L2 to have the first player to the left of the dummy half run forward

L2 + circle= Hold L2 and tap circle to have the second player on the left of the dummy half run forward

L2 + triangle= Same as second but it is the Third player instead.

L2 + Square= Hold L2 and tap Square to set off your winger for a cross kick or bomb chase, keep holding L2 when performing a kick and once the kick is up release L2 to take immediate control of the winger for the attempted chase and completion of the move.

R2=Same again for R2 to perform options to the right of the dummy half player.

Now with these options you can create plays on the fly, to perform a run around, here is how I thought it could work.

Lets just imagine the play is to the left, your 9 is at dummy half, he has a player to his left he can pass to, he could with the above options have this player run forward, take a pass, pause while the dummy half runner runs around him and have the ball passed back to him at any stage in the move, here's how I worked it,

Remember timing will come into it as well so practice will be required to get it to work smoothly,

As the ball is being played press and hold L2 to have the player to the left of the dummy half run forward, while still holding L2 tap L1 to pass off to him, as the pass is recieved the player recieving the ball will pause, turn and brace himself in case of a hit, you will now have control of the dummy half runner, now simply run around the player with the ball and release L2 whenever you like to have the ball passed back to the dummy half runner to continue the attacking play.

The beauty of this play is that it could be strung together multiple times if given the chance by the defence or depending on how deep your attack line is set. Again practice would be required to become good at timing moves but if sussed it could be a great attacking weapon for drawing in the defence.

So now that the run around has been explained, and if you get the idea of selected runners, you could start to imagine the possibilities as far as attacking moves are concerned.

You could have the first runner running through as a decoy, pass to the second, hand off to the next, perform a run around, grubber for the winger......or have the second man left run forward as a decoy to draw defence left then cut out pass, cut out pass to the right, big gaps open, easy try.....I could go on and on.

the options now are plenty and fully controlled by you on the fly. Neat huh.

And I still have the D-pad to play with.

As far as possibly fitting on the fly interchanges and setting aggressiveness on attack just a quick idea could be up and down to set aggressiveness of your attack so the more aggressive the more quicker they play and harder they hit up, the thus tiring them out quicker and the lower the aggressiveness the play slows down and the attack is a bit deeper set and is a bit more structured perhaps allowing for easier fifth tackle options.

Left and Right could be selecting a player to go off and a player to come on in a little window or something?.

For those that don't want control of play there could be an option for random runners so you just have to pass, kick and perform attacking moves. Something for the kiddies.

I think these are pretty c
cool.gif
cool.gif
l ideas that I think could work. What do ya'll think, good or wouldn't work?.

Feedback +/-

Ignore that last meh idea, I like the idea of this one better...

CUSTOM PLAYS IDEA

Whenever I think of how to improve the attacking gameplay I keep coming back to this idea, I really think it has great potential. By no means is it a complete idea, there are lots of things that could be added or removed to make it work better but I think it has huge potential for adding a lot more realism and proper attacking structure to a future Rugby League game.

Here goes...

The whole idea in a nutshell is to basically give the player the ability to be creative and create their own set play formations and give them alot more depth and realism in the attacking area of the gameplay, many people have this same sort of idea, I've just given it a bit of life to show that it may be doable.

What I was thinking was with the following ideas, the player could have options on attack very similar to how they work in the real game but totally in your control.

Here's the way it works,

Firstly, controls.

Quite simple, d-pad up, left, right to select a set of four plays for each of the directions for a total of 12, (I left out d-pad down for another idea) by tapping one of the directions again you will select one of four named or numbered plays, you would be able to name them, by double tapping one of your chosen plays directions you will flip your chosen play and perform the chosen play in the opposite direction.

The idea is to give the player options to create set play formations anywhere on the field for any given situation plus directions for movement then be able to practice them as they are being put together to get them right and generally practicing them in a play situation outside of an actual game to get confident with the moves created within each play. Once a play is created you could then set them to a direction on the d-pad. Whether they be named to help easily remember them or numbered so as to help the player know which plays suit certain tackles, game situations or maybe the order in which to use them, I dunno but it would be entirely up to you.

To add depth and more realism to the gameplay I was thinking because there are passing options and not just left or right passing, this opened up this idea even more because when creating a play and when you are setting your play formations, instead of being stuck to one set move, you can create pretty close to lifelike plays involving decoy runners and run arounds and I think even more player specific plays just by adjusting your players formations and running movements.

With a bit of imagination or even copying plays you see your favourite team performing on the box you could come up with plenty of great plays that are uniquely your own.

For example the picture below is of a play formation I thought up which looks like it works quite simply. Well it does, the 10 will run forward and take a pass from the 9 for a hit up...all good right...but wait there's more...

Now it gets deep, now just imagine this 'cos I can't be rsed putting more pics up.

If you look closely at how I set the player positions, this one single play has alot more to it than meets the eye, as mentioned above in controls, there would be the ability to flip the play, so if you can imagine the formation flipped so the formation works as if it was turned over so now from the same starting position, whatever happened to the left of dummy half now happens to the right and whatever happened to the right of dummy half now happens to the left.

Now not only can the play be flipped which gives you more options from one play but it can also be selected to work anywhere on the field during play. The way I figured was if using the play below as an example.

This play was created near the middle of the field so the player could use both sides of the field, now you could choose the play in the left third of the field but instead of bunching the players up to fit the play in field I thought it best that when selecting the play more to the left or right, if any player is going to be ouside the field of play then only the part of the formation that is inside the field of play should stay the same, the rest cut off and the number of players cut off added to the end of the play to the open side as normal support players.

So now with this one play you would have the ability to use it anywhere and in whatever direction you choose for it. Cool huh?...but there's even more.....

Now it gets even better, if you look at the picture again from this one single play formation there are heaps of play options that can be done on the fly, with the passing options from RL2 you can imagine the possibilities....go ahead, I'll give you a minute.

Pretty cool huh?. Thought so, the first one is the 9 can scoot from dummy half left and the 7 could be made to run in support. The second, he could just scoot for quick metres. Third, as shown in the pic the ten could take a pass for a hit up. Forth, and this is a good one and would be a new gameplay feature, the 9 could hold the pass up for a bit, let the 10 could be made to run his line and act as a Decoy Runner to draw in defenders and then you coul throw the pass to the 6 who as first reciever could have a bunch of options himself including kick options and even more passing options. You could do the same when passing to your 7 as first reciever, he has many options as well if you could imagine what some of those could be.

I've even been thinking the pass selection options could be set to whoever you want to pass or kick to so you could say while holding the pass button down have a two or three tap option where by while holing the pass button it will show your options, eg the first player is a pass option and the other two are kick options so by tapping to pass then tap for your kick options they will be triggered to chase the ball, thus creating possibilities for specific kick chase options.

Another new gameplay feature I thought up was the Runaround which I have mentioned allready but will again, the way it works may sound complicated but I think it would be quite easy to pull off in game if implemented well.

Again using the play formation example picture below, the 9 passes to the 7 who will pass to the 13 on the run but as you tap to pass as soon as the ball is released hold the pass button down, the 13 will catch and hold the ball and you will now have control of the 7 again to freely move around him and when you think it best to pass back release the pass button to hand off the ball back to the 7. It may sound complicated but I reckon it would work really well depending on the depth of your set play structure.

So the depth on attack and the amount of control you could have over your attack would or could be awesome in my opinion.

You can imagine the possibilities with these ideas, by no means is it a complete idea as there are things I'm still thinking about and other things like specific players in a play and kick chase options to add but I know I get that feeling in my gut that as is this could work well like another idea I had but whether this idea is worthy of a shot at greatness is not for me to decide.

I at least hope it at least triggers new even better ideas that can give us what we are all hoping for in a Rugby League game.

Hopefully someone likes the ideas.

Thoughts +/-

dsc00207km4.jpg

I've no doubt at all it could work. I do however doubt whether or not SIDHE are going to go for such sort of tactical depth.

im getting a 360 and wanna buy this game
what were rl and rl2 like, ive actually never played them

Then you'll have a more enjoyable perspective of the second one if you never do, lol.

Latest posts