Rugby union set to trial rolling substitutions

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by snoopy snoopy dog dog, Mar 17, 2010.

1. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Olyy

Olyy Guest

I like rolling subs in league, gives you time to get your breath back before getting back in the game :p

The only problem i can see is players on the bench might not get as much game time as they would (i.e coming on for 5minutes to give the starting player a rest, rather than for the last 30mins)
    What Shaun Edwards said about the size thing is right though. There'll be a bigger emphasis on strength rather than fitness, as you wont need to be on the pitch as much

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Dean Richards much be sick as a dog discovering this...

5. SaintDean

SaintDean Guest

Rolling Subs is a good thing for say leagues of your local clubs. With players never at full fitness. giving the opportunity we would see more effort from the forwards instead of trying to conserve for the whole of the match.

The other week we did rolling subs, i came off at half time rested 20 minutes then went hell for leather for a further 20minutes.

This should be trialled in lower leagues first.

6. bristol-iain

bristol-iain Guest

Ospreys can't manage normal subs, could end up with 28 on the pitch if this goes ahead

7. Haysie

Haysie Guest

This will only ruin the cameraderie that develops within teams! The same thing will happen as you see in the NRL right now, the big stars are rested on the bench every 10 minutes (or thereabouts) after they've spent a short amount of time on the field.
    DISLIKE

8. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

Substitiutions are fine in Union, why bother changing them? Typical of the powers that be, try to fix what isn't broken whilw ignoring the messes that are the breakdown and scrum.

9. haha as far as i can see the scots did this many times with kelly brown during the game thus giving them a fresh man in the back row

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!