• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rules Change?

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Good evening, my friends - an INCREDIBLE couple of days rugby, no?
HOWever. Curious about the point system.
As an American, this whole points thing is new to me, as is the very idea or relegation.
But when I crunch the numbers, I'm not sure they create the scenarios we want... For example:

The same four scenarios with different points-per-win:
Scenario A - Team has 10 wins, no losses (no BP's)
Scenario B - 10 Losses, all with BP's
Scenario C - 5 Wins, 5 Losses, no BP's for any
Scenario D - 4 Wins with BP's, 6 Losses, no BP's

In our current world, this would get you:
A: 40 B: 20 C: 20, and D: 20

It seems counter-intuitive that a team with zero wins could be considered equal to a team with 5 wins, right?

But if a win got you 5 points instead of 4, here are the same outcomes:
A: 50 B: 20 C: 25 D 24

Or if a win was worth 6, the same results would be:
A: 60 B: 20 C: 30 D: 28

I think the 5 point situation gets us the most reasonable results based on gut feeling, but I'm sure I am very late to the party in terms of discussing the math... What am I missing? I feel like making the switch from 4-pt base to 5-pt base for wins would make things easier or more comprehensible, yes?...

Lol ah yes ... that, I actually knew, but thought you were using the 's' as an abbreviation so the site wouldn't censor it... well played, buddy.

one of my the kids i coach told me he has to leave practice early for his "maths exam." had to resist the urge to tell him to go back to manchester.

come here for the education but insist on using their bastarized version of the language.

Maths is very complicated.

Maths are very complicated.

Ah, ****. Maybe the yanks are on to something.
Well... I believe it's actually a contraction of mathematics, rather than a plurifaction, but I was being lazy, and making a (half-hearted) effort to tamp down my pedantry.

Latest posts