• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2023 in Argentina, what do you think?

But if you factored in a truckload of imports?

Personally I don't think they will qualify, and it will be interesting to see if the IRB does the same thing that FIFA did last year and use the Japan (Bafana Bafana) as one of the first seeds/ pots when doing the draw.

Luke Thompson, Micheal Leitch, Sione Vatuvei, James Arlidge, Murray Williams, Ryan Nicholas, Alisi Tupuailei, Bryce Robbins, Shaun Webb, Justin Ives. And Toetsu Taufa and Ryukoliniasi Holani born in Tonga.

Fair to say thats a truckload and they didn't win a game..

Personally I don't think they will qualify, and it will be interesting to see if the IRB does the same thing that FIFA did last year and use the Japan (Bafana Bafana) as one of the first seeds/ pots when doing the draw.

As far as I've known at least, putting the host country or countries into the top draw pot has been the norm in soccer for quite some time. Don't know if that's been the case with the Rugby World Cups but since the tournament has had a much shorter history and there are 8 teams that regularly occupy the top 8 spots in the rankings, all host nations so far would have easily fallen into the top draw pot or second draw pot. I'll be very interested to see how the groups get drawn with Japan as host.

Back on topic, I would LOVE to see a World Cup hosted in Argentina. If the IRB truly is about spreading the game worldwide they should seriously consider Argentina, or anywhere in the Americas in general as an option.

Whoever said that staying up late for the matches is easier than waking up for them, is absolutely correct. I've been watching rugby matches being played in New Zealand or Australia ever since I came to North America, and I'll tell you, there's nothing quite like turning on a rugby match that kicks off at midnight while having a few beers, and then going to bed afterwards. It's a great way to cap off the end of a night.

I would like to see a world cup in Argentina. I think that people should be able to get past the time zones for the world cup. I guess it would turn the IRB away though. Argentina must have plenty of good stadiums and a world cup could really give the game the boost it needs over there.

Actually, looking at it carefully, the timezones are really good, just as Paul says

I have prepared a simple graphic to show how it works, but we have to follow a few rules

1 Games must kick off in Argentina no earlier than 12 midday and no later than 9PM in their local time zone (GMT-3)

2. Games must not kick off prior to 7AM local time in any country

3. Games must not kick off after 9PM local time an any country

Argentina2023-timezones.png

The top row is Buenos Aires time

I have left out USA and Canada as give or take an hour or two, they are the same as Argentina

The Pacific Island are covered in the NZ time zone

Other European Countries are close enough to the French time zone.

Its fairly obvious from the graphic that the ONLY problematic situation is matches between Japan and European teams or South Africa

OF course, we have to consider Summertime/Daylight Saving adjustments

Last edited:
Luke Thompson, Micheal Leitch, Sione Vatuvei, James Arlidge, Murray Williams, Ryan Nicholas, Alisi Tupuailei, Bryce Robbins, Shaun Webb, Justin Ives. And Toetsu Taufa and Ryukoliniasi Holani born in Tonga.

Fair to say thats a truckload and they didn't win a game..

Alrighty, how about better imports ;)

The awarding of the tournament to them could raise the level of quality of young, uncapped players that head off that-a-way.

Actually, looking at it carefully, the timezones are really good, just as Paul says

I have prepared a simple graphic to show how it works, but we have to follow a few rules

1 Games must kick off in Argentina no earlier than 12 midday and no later than 9PM in their local time zone (GMT-3)

2. Games must not kick off prior to 7AM local time in any country

3. Games must not kick off after 9PM local time an any country

Argentina2023-timezones.png

The top row is Buenos Aires time

I have left out USA and Canada as give or take an hour or two, they are the same as Argentina

The Pacific Island are covered in the NZ time zone

Other European Countries are close enough to the French time zone.

Its fairly obvious from the graphic that the ONLY problematic situation is matches between Japan and European teams or South Africa

OF course, we have to consider Summertime/Daylight Saving adjustments

so we're thinking a 5pm local time kick off for most games?

so we're thinking a 5pm local time kick off for most games?

Between NH sides, probably, as it hits primetime TV audeince in Europe

Matches between NZ, Aussie & PI sides could be 7PM so they weren't so early here.

Between NH sides, probably, as it hits primetime TV audeince in Europe

Matches between NZ, Aussie & PI sides could be 7PM so they weren't so early here.

Times like this should be comfortable with the local and America's audiences, although on weekdays we also have to give adequate time for Argentine fans to get off of work and get to the park 6 p.m. might be a slightly better time for this. Still as you and Melhor(Paul) have noted Argentinas time zones are about as good as it gets for balancing the needs of the Rugby world, with the possible exception of Japan.

As someone who regularly watches sports being played in time zones nowhere near her own, I'm used to getting screwed over on time zones.

Blackcaps vs. Zimbabwe starts at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning... ugh.

Needless to say, not watching. Rugby > cricket.

Alrighty, how about better imports ;)

The awarding of the tournament to them could raise the level of quality of young, uncapped players that head off that-a-way.

they would do well to find better tbh they are quality players. japan just isn up to it

As someone who regularly watches sports being played in time zones nowhere near her own, I'm used to getting screwed over on time zones.

Blackcaps vs. Zimbabwe starts at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning... ugh.

Needless to say, not watching. Rugby > cricket.

As a watcher of NFL and NHL Im usually found awake at 2am on a Monday morning watching it.

I'd watch it no matter what the time and at least they'd more than likely be there.
Someone is suggesting Russia?! What happens if they don't make it to their own RWC?! That'd be lame.

Has that ever happened before where the home nation doesn't make their own tournament? Be it soccer aka football or Hockey etc?

I'd watch it no matter what the time and at least they'd more than likely be there.
Someone is suggesting Russia?! What happens if they don't make it to their own RWC?! That'd be lame.

Has that ever happened before where the home nation doesn't make their own tournament? Be it soccer aka football or Hockey etc?

Usually the host autmoatically qualifies, however some poorly ranked sides have qualified for major events before because of this rule and have struggled mightily even in the pool stages. I can't think of an example where a host didn't actually play in their own event however.

Hosts qualifies, but in cases of Russia, Japan, USA / Canada, I find we deserve a little more to get the organization as we have been going through the pool stages for the lasts RWCs (except for 2003, 1 point and I won't talk of that match jeje). Hosts not getting the quarters suppose, at least with FIFA experience, at least marketing just not to call it negotiations (see Qatar and Russia in some way).
It would be a pity Rugby get polluted like football, I would like to drink a beer in a match and that is what I fear and you didn't mention, not the beer but there is some prejudice in our country: violence?

Feel free to discuss this issue, of course as an Argentinean want to host the RWC, but someone mention that in the Russian RWC thread and it won't be fair if you don't express your feelings with our reputation. A RWC is not a test match, there would be another public. Despite, we have a lot of tourism maybe this is quite different.

I'd give it to Argentina. It's all well and good trying to expand the game into new and growing markets, but unless you award nations which have heavily invested in the game, especially in the last 10-15 years, there needs to be some pay off. I have no doubt Argentina would do a great job of hosting, providing there were bums on seats. Is interest in rugby enough in Argentina for people to buy tickets to see two lower tier nations play?

It was a struggle in NZ (although 87% of tickets to this RWC have been sold, which is higher than France and Australia) and we're a fairly rugby mad country, is there enough interest? I suppose you have the same issue in Japan. Either way I'd love to see it. With Rugby 7's in the Olympics for Brazil, the South America's have huge potential to expand rugby.

I'd give it to Argentina. It's all well and good trying to expand the game into new and growing markets, but unless you award nations which have heavily invested in the game, especially in the last 10-15 years, there needs to be some pay off. I have no doubt Argentina would do a great job of hosting, providing there were bums on seats. Is interest in rugby enough in Argentina for people to buy tickets to see two lower tier nations play?

It was a struggle in NZ (although 87% of tickets to this RWC have been sold, which is higher than France and Australia) and we're a fairly rugby mad country, is there enough interest? I suppose you have the same issue in Japan. Either way I'd love to see it. With Rugby 7's in the Olympics for Brazil, the South America's have huge potential to expand rugby.

I very much dispute that statement, I remember every single match in France 2007 World Cup being sold out, I know for example Georgia against Namibia got a 30,000 sell out crowd

and New Zealand seemed to only filling matches in 10-15,000 grounds around 90%

the only possible reason for that France statistic is because of those stupid matches in Cardiff and Edinburgh failed to sell out (apart from Wales Australia), Wales Japan had a 35,000 from a 80,000 attendance, Fiji Canada 45,000 from 80,000 and Scotland Romania had 30,000 from 70,000

those matches would have distorted the figures as all the matches in France were sell outs with 30,000 fans

New Zealand's fans are bad at turning up, only just managed to get fans in for 10,000 stadiums and their ITM Cup/Super Rugby attendances were Super dire (so much for rugby mad country)

I don't know whether the Argentines would turn up for the matches between the minnows, but they do sell out football stadiums for Pumas matches

I very much dispute that statement, I remember every single match in France 2007 World Cup being sold out, I know for example Georgia against Namibia got a 30,000 sell out crowd

the only possible reason for that France statistic is because of those stupid matches in Cardiff and Edinburgh failed to sell out (apart from Wales Australia), Wales Japan had a 35,000 from a 80,000 attendance, Fiji Canada 45,000 from 80,000 and Scotland Romania had 30,000 from 70,000

those matches would have distorted the figures as all the matches in France were sell outs with 30,000 fans

New Zealand's fans are bad at turning up, only just managed to get fans in for 10,000 stadiums and their ITM Cup/Super Rugby attendances were Super dire (so much for rugby mad country)

I don't know whether the Argentines would turn up for the matches between the minnows, but they do sell out football stadiums for Pumas matches

You are correct. Scotland vs Romania in St Etienne got a bigger crowd than Scotland vs Romania at Murrayfield. Wales failed to draw fans for their clash with Japan even New Zealand vs Scotland was not full at Murrayfield. Canada vs Fiji was a flop at the Millenium Stadium but Toulouse was full for Fiji vs Japan and Bordeaux full for Canada vs Japan. The French matches were the most successful ever.

I went to Scotland vs Argentina in Wellington and the crowd was poor. 26,000 people there. Most of us were either from Argentina or Scotland! I kid you not! New Zealand did poorly in a number of other matches like the two over the next two days I attended. Namibia vs Wales had loads of spare seats in New Plymouth and then Italy vs USA in Nelson had noticeable gaps in both the side on stands. Looking back to 2007 Namibia vs Argentina at Marseilles got 55,000... double what Wellington did for the crunch Pumas vs Scotland game this time around.

Argentina is far more rugby mad than people realize. I flew from São Paulo to Santiago (Chile) before then changing planes to go to Auckland. Half of the people there waiting for the plane were wearing Pumas shirts, jackets, etc and it was not even a flight from Argentina (there are direct flights from Buenos Aires to Auckland). I was talking to a guy from Tucumán for an hour there. The people will turn up for the RWC games. Remember the USA and Russia are considered minnows yet look at them in global terms. Not hard to get people to go watch them. Tucumán´s biggest sport is not soccer, it is rugby. Yet only two Pumas were from there in the RWC.

With over a decade of Four Nations to play, things are giong to really take off. Argentina is not going to use Buenos Aires as a home venue - its going to spread the games. They are soon to announce the venues for 2012 with Buenos Aires in line to host Argentina vs Australia. La Plata to host the All Blacks and Rosario the Boks.

Wow, before you just had a mad temper tantrum, the fact that over 1.6 million tickets have been sold, ranging from $65-$800 to a population of four million, is incredible. By the way, no stadium has less than 15 thousand seats in this tornement. The lowest capacity is Arena Manuwatu (FMG Stadium) with 18,000, but most stadiums are into 20,000 seats or more, which considering the popluation, it's impressive that most of the games were near capacity.

Latest posts