• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2023 Qualifying

Rumours Chile will play Scotland in June (while they are playing Argentina), before Chile play the US in the RWC qualifying winner takes all double-header. If any Tier1 union might do this, it is Scotland, who, to their credit, seem to always be the first to stick their hand up to play a Tier 2. This would mean Chile get a full season together in SLAR with Selknam and a stiff outing against Scotland while the US have a couple of runabouts against the French Barbarians. I know which one I consider superior preparation for a critical couple of qualifying matches.

Possible fresh player eligibility issue with Spain with a player selected against Netherlands. Unconfirmed that there is an issue yet but anecdotally it does sound like there will be some explaining to do.

I have a bad feeling about this for Spain. Remember the poor kiwi fellow they took with the squad last year then couldn't select him (and he died on the trip). I suspect Spain have learnt nothing and this may be a major issue.

Well done to the Russian union if they have uncovered this, although if I were them I would have waited until after this weekend's match, and kept quiet if I'd beaten Spain in Sochi and see if they can take points off Romania and Portugal. If he'd been selected against Russia and Russia lost, then the result would be overturned, no?

Would be catastrophic if Spain effectively lost the chance to qualify for consecutive RWCs due to player eligibility issues.

EDIT: I'm advised Russia would not get the points if they lost to Spain with an ineligible player, so this is the optimum time for them to make this infor,action public and see if Spain lose the points from their win over Netherlands at the weekend.

Last edited:
Well done to the Russian union if they have uncovered this, although if I were them I would have waited until after this weekend's match, and kept quiet if I'd beaten Spain in Sochi and see if they can take points off Romania and Portugal. If he'd been selected against Russia and Russia lost, then the result would be overturned, no?
They are not sure if this is a serious issue or not. Anyway, I'm rather against "investigations" like that :rolleyes: they better would be more concentrated on the quality of play of our own team instead of looking for "issues" in foreign teams

They are not sure if this is a serious issue or not. Anyway, I'm rather against "investigations" like that :rolleyes: they better would be more concentrated on the quality of play of our own team instead of looking for "issues" in foreign teams
It is funny how Russia always sniff out the issues. It plays into the stereotype of the government being all seeing and all knowing. The next laugh will be if one of the players captured by Russia with the new eligibility rules turns out to be ineligible. :D

But seriously, let us hope rules have not been broken (through further incompetence) and we get a fair fight to the RWC. If rules have been broken by the player spending more than 60 days abroad in a calendar year, then heads need to roll in the Spanish union.

Spain qualify with victory over Portugal. Barring a miracle of Romania not beating Dutch Portugal are eliminated.

Romania beat Netherlands to secure 3rd in the European qualifying and be the first team in the repechage.

Next qualifying matches are a round-robin between Hong Kong, South Korea and Malaysia in May. Hong Kong v Malaysia is the opener on the 27th.

Spain under investigation for fielding an ineligible player:

From what I've read it sounds like they're out of luck: They capped a South African prop, who only played once, but he didn't live permanently in Spain (went back to RSA between seasons) so didn't hit the required months out of the year to count as a permanent resident of the country/have the years count towards residency

Considering how frequently things like this keep happening you do have to question WTF World Rugby are doing with themselves - they just completely ignore tier 2/3 rugby for 90% of the World Cup cycle and then waltz in at the end and ban everyone
Why were they not involved in all of this before? and in 2019 when it turned out Romania had fielded an ineligible player throughout their entire qualifying process but then they were only told about it after they'd qualified

Last edited:
Spain under investigation for fielding an ineligible player:

From what I've read it sounds like they're out of luck: They capped a South African prop, who only played once, but he didn't live permanently in Spain (went back to RSA between seasons) so didn't hit the required months out of the year to count as a permanent resident of the country/have the years count towards residency

Considering how frequently things like this keep happening you do have to question WTF World Rugby are doing with themselves - they just completely ignore tier 2/3 rugby for 90% of the World Cup cycle and then waltz in at the end and ban everyone
Why were they not involved in all of this before? and in 2019 when it turned out Romania had fielded an ineligible player throughout their entire qualifying process but then they were only told about it after they'd qualified
Yes, they messed up at the last RWC. The Spanish federation is a complete joke on player eligibility matters. They had a Kiwi born player late last year at an away match due to make their debut, pulled him at the 11th hour due to eligibility matters and he ended up dead shortly after (presumed suicide).

World Rugby have known about this latest one since early February (see above) with social media reportedly showing the player has not met the '10 months out of 12' residency requirement in at least one year. There should be irrefutable evidence on passports so I can only assume the 6 week delay is World Rugby desperately trying to find a loophole in their own rules. Unlike last time Spain would fully deserve their RWC spot in terms of on field performance, so it would be a shame. But you've got to be consistent in the application of the rules.

how is there not a World Rugby clearing house for eligibility? To play university level sports in the US you need to go through all types of checks to play at even the lowest levels.

Also US is definitely going to the last chance qualifier. Can't see us beating Chile. US Rugby is a joke at the top. Worse people and even worse businessmen. The grassroots is growing stronger every day though.

Hong Kong reportedly having to give up hope of RWC qualification (due to it's awful Covid situation), meaning Tonga will cruise into the RWC against the winner of SK vs Malaysia, neither of whom will be capable of mounting a reasonable challenge in the repechage.

assuming Spain gets the boot we'll have Portugal, usa/Chile, South Korea, and one of the African nations. I really hope we get through against Chile even though Portugal isn't anywhere as scary as Romania. The African nations could be strong if they get a decent training camp in before the final tournament. Not confident at all against any team other than who comes out of Asia.

Surpised Hong Kong is forfeiting three months out.

assuming Spain gets the boot we'll have Portugal, usa/Chile, South Korea, and one of the African nations. I really hope we get through against Chile even though Portugal isn't anywhere as scary as Romania. The African nations could be strong if they get a decent training camp in before the final tournament. Not confident at all against any team other than who comes out of Asia.

Surpised Hong Kong is forfeiting three months out.

Zimbabwe and Kenya are currently playing the second Tier of the Currie Cup alongside the Georgian Black Lions. The best chance I can remember of someone bumping off Namibia (who would be tough in the repechage).

Rumours that it's not looking good for Spain and that we might by Thursday. This is the only report I've seen repeating these rumours.

good news for the US

from the sounds of it the club and the player should be in big trouble; I understand Spain just getting a point deduction since there was no malice on their part

Portugal have lost their mojo a little but still will be a tough challenge. I agree though that avoiding the Romanian pack is good for US or Chile. Even if Romania underperformed in the backs, their pack might keep them in the match.

Crap for Spain, but I'm doubtful if they'd have auto-qualified if Hourcade hadn't become involved half way through the qualifying fixtures at the request of World Rugby. Their performance was completely transformed following that event and it was a resource at a critical time that none of their rivals received.

Hopefully they continue their progression on the field and their flirtation with professional sides as Spain and Iberians have provided some of the most exciting Tier2 rugby this year.

Hopefully the move to 5 year residency will help kill the potential for matters such as these to be repeated. As should the move to have professional Tier2 franchises (reducing the necessity to take players raised by other unions and risk administrative errors).

I would not conclude anything about the player and club 'lying'. For example, did he forge the passport before or after the Spanish union's position was queried? Let's not hang a scapegoat prematurely when the explanation may be that an inadequate union was inadequate once again. The mood music is that the union is innocent (as was the Romanian one when they were eliminated last time) but I'll wait confirmation on that.

Rumours are that the player and club forged a photocopy of the passport (claiming the passport had been misplaced) and the union accepted the photocopy without making any further enquiry.

fair, we have only heard the story from the union's side. Be interesting if the club says anything.

Latest posts