• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC TV coverage in the U.S.?

P

pk500

What's the status of RWC TV coverage in the U.S.? Fox Sports World at least had news reports and shows back in '03, but now it has gone all footie.

Any options other than The Rugby Channel?

Thanks,
PK

Yep, get some vaseline and call up Setanta.
They got the North American Rights to the World Cup.
Greedy Prats.

does Setanta have a HD channel? [/b]
No...just the regular channel, and sometimes an overflow channel. Check their website at:
http://www.setanta.com

Tell everyone you know in the US that they have brilliant coverage of Rugby Union and Rugby League.

Yep, get some vaseline and call up Setanta.
They got the North American Rights to the World Cup.
Greedy Prats. [/b]
Ah, c'mon now, it's not that bad. Fox Sports World wanted to only cater to the footballers, so they dropped rugby and aussie rules and called themselves Fox Soccer Channel. Even then you had to subscribe to the Sports package to get it.
Setanta gives you so much rugby, it's amazing. I've had it since the first month they offered it and have been nothing but pleased. Sure, you have to pay for it, but I think you get a pretty fair deal for all you get. IMO.

Oh ya, They have great Rugby Coverage. I'm just angry at the fact that people will have to pay $14.95/month to watch the World Cup this year. If the IRB were serious about promoting Rugby in North America, then they wouldn't have put a huge price tag of the broadcasting rights. Plus, I don't feel like watching the premium group matches on a PPV basis (at $24.99/game).

The IRB weren't the ones who put a price tag on coverage, the broadcasters were; if the free-to-view stations can't afford to pay for the rights to show it, then they lose it pay-to-view TV networks.

Not fair, I know, but the way it works.

Thankfully, in the NH, the Unions forced it so that the TV networks had to negotiate with all of the Six nations as a whole instead of collectively. This resulted out of Sky sneakily buying up all the England Six Nations games 1996, the RFU were threatened with expulsion from the then Five nations grouping unless it ditched its contract with Sky and joined what was effectively a good cartel.

Now, because all the rights have to be negotiated collectively, it makes it much easier for the BBC, RTE, Canal+, etc to get the rights to ALL games rather than watching Rupert Murdoch and Silvio Burlescone steal everything.

thankfully, Setanta is gonna be available on Dish network now. Previously, it was only on Directv in the US. It's really expensive, but I'll just subscribe long enough to watch the WC.

Oh ya, They have great Rugby Coverage. I'm just angry at the fact that people will have to pay $14.95/month to watch the World Cup this year. If the IRB were serious about promoting Rugby in North America, then they wouldn't have put a huge price tag of the broadcasting rights. Plus, I don't feel like watching the premium group matches on a PPV basis (at $24.99/game).
[/b]

Its extra to watch the big games? What garbage.

At least you guys have an option. Sentata doesnt even broadcast in Canada, yet somehow was given the rights. :rolleyes:

Thanks IRB.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Its extra to watch the big games? What garbage.

At least you guys have an option. Sentata doesnt even broadcast in Canada, yet somehow was given the rights. :rolleyes:

Thanks IRB.

[/b][/quote]
To watch them live...just like they did with the 6 Nations...but you'll see them the next day. Welcome to Rugby in America. It's not perfect, but it's better than never seeing them at all.
So, my comments will all be delayed.

Thanks, fellas. Setanta is a damn good channel, so I'll consider it. I have seen it, and the rugby coverage seems excellent.

Take care,
PK

Thanks, fellas. Setanta is a damn good channel, so I'll consider it. I have seen it, and the rugby coverage seems excellent.

Take care,
PK [/b]
I'm watching it right now...
Tivo + Setanta = Heaven

too bad dish network are a bunch of fags and wont carry setanta.. greedy dish ********.

Is the Mediazone Rugby Channel not worth it?

They say the $100 package has every game from the Heineken Cup, Super 14, June Tours, Tri Nations, Air New Zealand Cup, and Currie Cup for a year.

I assume they will have a World Cup package, which will be extra.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to sell this, I'm thinking about moving to the US next year and I'll be needing my rugby fix!

Is the Mediazone Rugby Channel not worth it?

They say the $100 package has every game from the Heineken Cup, Super 14, June Tours, Tri Nations, Air New Zealand Cup, and Currie Cup for a year.

I assume they will have a World Cup package, which will be extra.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to sell this, I'm thinking about moving to the US next year and I'll be needing my rugby fix! [/b]

Are you sure the Rugby Channel will have a World Cup package? I have my doubts, due to rights issues. I bet Setanta paid fairly dearly for the exclusive rights to show the RWC.

Then again, maybe I'm nuts. :)

Take care,
PK

I heard something about that, if Mediazone comes out with a World Cup Package, the games will either be delayed or unavailable in North America. I guess we'll have to wait and see. And now, back to Doctor Who!!!!

I feel sorry for most of you guys up North. I dont mean to brag :bleh!: but SKY is showing ALL the games down here.

I hope theres good coverage in the US and Canada, so they realise they are in a wc for something and might get interested and watch it..

Latest posts