• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - England vs Ireland

Isn't that all the more reason for playing Curry and Underhill? You can't be blind to the opposition, but surely our emphasis should be playing to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us?

I read the Barnes article. All sounded dandy. In theory. Back to the real world, obviously there will always be an element of horses for courses, but fundamentally too much chopping and changing when the pressure's on won't be a good thing. Potentially trashing continuity, of which we have little enough, at precisely the point when it needs building feels odd. What we really need are carefully selected match day 23s that give us options and are smart enough to adapt tactics on the hoof. Whether we have the collective leadership and the rugby smarts to change horses mid match remains a big question mark.
England have tried to the consistency route for many years, seemingly in a pointless attempt to regain the past glory of the 2003 squad and team. But rugby has moved on, and so should we. Creating an environment where the team are used to chaos and change, where they can thrive in it, adapt and overcome, both tactically and mentally, is what will make them great.
In addition, not settling on a clear and set team puts opposition at a distinct disadvantage. They can't plan to counter England if they have no idea what England are going to show up.

I also don't agree with this "we just need to think of our game" mentality. Surely the way to approach any conflict is to look at your strengths and weaknesses, and the enemies, and deploy the best assets at your disposal to overcome them? England currently have a great spread of players with differing skill sets that can shape a game in very different ways. Arguably much more so than other teams out there. Take Wales for example. They are strong, and clearly skilled, but you know what you're going to get and so can plan for it. I think in the AAs Jones put out two very different teams to Test which set up worked better to overcome the Welsh game. I think the second test was quintessential Wales and will be what we will se from them for the WC, and everyone knows it. Where as no one knows what you will see for England, and that would have to be to our advantage.

As for the back 3 issue. Daly is the starting 15. Let's just all get over it. And he's always going to start in big games. So the only question that remains is which wings will he get paired with? Can't see McConnochie featuring in more than the two openers which are little more than warm ups, after which he will be a reserve. I expect Watson and a for Nowell to start and Big Joe as impact.

England have tried to the consistency route for many years, seemingly in a pointless attempt to regain the past glory of the 2003 squad and team. But rugby has moved on, and so should we. Creating an environment where the team are used to chaos and change, where they can thrive in it, adapt and overcome, both tactically and mentally, is what will make them great.
In addition, not settling on a clear and set team puts opposition at a distinct disadvantage. They can't plan to counter England if they have no idea what England are going to show up.

I also don't agree with this "we just need to think of our game" mentality. Surely the way to approach any conflict is to look at your strengths and weaknesses, and the enemies, and deploy the best assets at your disposal to overcome them? England currently have a great spread of players with differing skill sets that can shape a game in very different ways. Arguably much more so than other teams out there. Take Wales for example. They are strong, and clearly skilled, but you know what you're going to get and so can plan for it. I think in the AAs Jones put out two very different teams to Test which set up worked better to overcome the Welsh game. I think the second test was quintessential Wales and will be what we will se from them for the WC, and everyone knows it. Where as no one knows what you will see for England, and that would have to be to our advantage.

As for the back 3 issue. Daly is the starting 15. Let's just all get over it. And he's always going to start in big games. So the only question that remains is which wings will he get paired with? Can't see McConnochie featuring in more than the two openers which are little more than warm ups, after which he will be a reserve. I expect Watson and a for Nowell to start and Big Joe as impact.

Totally agree in theory. But that's a cultural shift that happens over years, not over a few weeks in camp. This side can look world beaters when things are going their way and look totally helpless when they're not, often in the course of the same game. And let's not forget that this isn't a proven all conquering team looking to add that extra 2% gloss. Totally a work in progress whose last 2 6Ns and overseas tour weren't exactly blinding. The AIs were OK, but those were at HQ and even then we blew a great chance to down a non vintage ABs. Getting from there to multi faceted and "great" will take time.

Again, I like the principle, but that comes with the big caveat that we can flick seamlessly between styles. Unless the players are familiar with doing that, and some of them barely know each other's Christian names, then that carries risk.

I'd love to see us be adaptable and have answers for all questions, that's what we should ultimately be aiming for. But I hear too many inconsistencies coming from Jones, I just hope he's delivering more clarity behind closed doors. I remain sceptical, but really hope I have a huge helping of humble pie coming my way.

I'd say Jones has spent the last 4 years changing things up on a regular basis. Sowing that chaotic, anything can change, set up. At yikes it's really worked, and at times we've really struggled, but when we look good I think we look better than any preceding england team, even the 2003 vintage. Granted there's a consistency issue, but that was never going to change in 4 years. Jones needs 8 to properly sort things, and frankly, if we make semis this WC and make good account of ourselves that would be a huge improvement over 4 years ago.

Nowell and Watson have way more experience at 15 than Daly sooooo..........
.... play them at 6 and 7?

england-press-conference-and-squad-announcement-twickenham-stadium-390x285.jpg

Barring injury delay and may are nailed on nowel looking doubtful so Watson stars and JC benches

What's the word on McConnochie?
I'd forgotten he was in the squad tbh,

Apparently Ashton was invited out to the Italy camp, but pulled his calf in pre-season with Sale so sat out - I'd have hoped Spencer was ear-marked for one of Nowell/McConnochie's spots if they have to drop out.

What's the word on McConnochie?
I'd forgotten he was in the squad tbh,

Apparently Ashton was invited out to the Italy camp, but pulled his calf in pre-season with Sale so sat out - I'd have hoped Spencer was ear-marked for one of Nowell/McConnochie's spots if they have to drop out.

Agreed. Although, I wouldn't be disappointed to see Brown back if we're looking for a back three player.

Agreed. Although, I wouldn't be disappointed to see Brown back if we're looking for a back three player.
Obviously I don't know the details of what happened between him and T'eo but I find it weird that England are taking 6 back three players and that Brown isn't one of them, he has his flaws but he's the only proven international fullback you guys have, I think Eddie could well regret not bringing him.

That said, it's one of very few weaknesses in a very strong squad.

Obviously I don't know the details of what happened between him and T'eo but I find it weird that England are taking 6 back three players and that Brown isn't one of them, he has his flaws but he's the only proven international fullback you guys have, I think Eddie could well regret not bringing him.

That said, it's one of very few weaknesses in a very strong squad.

At the moment 9 and 15 are the big issues. Youngs' form on average is getting worse and worse. Daly just doesn't look secure under the highball. Only other area of real concern is 2 tightheads, but i'm going to assume Jones knows what he's doing.

At the moment 9 and 15 are the big issues. Youngs' form on average is getting worse and worse. Daly just doesn't look secure under the highball. Only other area of real concern is 2 tightheads, but i'm going to assume Jones knows what he's doing.
I'd agree those are the main issues for England. Outside 9/15 and backup for Sinkler there isn't a whole lot more to worry about, Singleton is a bit meh but he's only a third choice hooker. It's a serious squad with a lot of depth and if England avoid one of their collapses I can see them winning it (I think they'll probably edged out in an arm wrestle though in the semis/final.

Brown was cut late and all of what I have heard re. the 'incident' put the blame squarely on Te'o.

There is a good chance Brown was being cut anyway so we don't really know how much the fracas with Te'o played in to that.

Apparently Ashton was asked to go out to Treviso but couldn't due to an ankle injury so it would seem Eddie is still thinking of a back three player. The only other options in the squad were Brown and Thorley and given the latter is uncapped, the former seems the best option (personally I'd have had him there over McConnochie in the first place).

If Brown is called up, he could easily slot in for Tonga and USA and would be a good back up for Daly in the bigger games.

Latest posts