• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 4 - USA vs. Tonga (13/10/2019)

I watched it delayed, what a cracker! Tonga just about edged it and again I love watching how they make a little go a long way. They have to work so hard for scores given their general lack of pace and their patience and decision making can be a joy to behold. There are few teams like them that are happy to switch between a structured game and a total fiesta, and do well at both.

The 4 day turnaround did look like a factor in the final 20mins. The US did okay, but it is a bit concerning that Tonga seemed to out-do them at both scrum and lineout. I'd give Gold the ARC to see if he can turn things around again and revisit the situation then. Another 3rd place finish there and I'd be considering my options.

A real shame for both sides they ended up in this group. If they'd been matched up with Italy they could have had a crack at finishing third and securing automatic qualification. Tonga pretty much achieved the maximum possible in this tournament with the win here and giving both France and Argentina a scare.

• Good point about the 4 day turnaround for USA
  • Exciting game the whole way through, and right until the end it could have gone either way. Glad this game wasn't cancelled or affected by penalty cards
  • I'd hear about that base of the posts rule before, but this is the first time I've seen a try awarded from it.
  • Love the finish - "Coach says kick for 3 points? Screw that I'm going for a scrum" - BOOM, bonus point!

Latest posts