• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Scotland (07/10/2023)

Would their clubs leave the URC too? I'm voting for that if so!
Are you from one of the nations participating in the URC? Most people from countries who participate in the tournament speak highly of it and the South African involvement.

The only people who really don't like it are bottom half top 14 teams who consider it an injustice to leave southern France.

Idk how England feels about it but that's barely a league anymore.

I dont think, Ireland would risk not playing their strongest team against such a decent team as they are also at risk if things get weird. But yeah, that fear is indeed there from a SA POV as its not in your hands, and then your mind starts thinking but what if in this or that situation. To have these possibilities is stressful, because nothing is out of the question, we have seen crazy events at world cups. To add to this, You would think that this is an opportunity for Andy Farrel to pull a suprise, especially if it can influence your QF opponents.

In this case the debate as to whom they would rather face in the QF, France or NZ is too marginal, with or without Dupont

I dont think, Ireland would risk not playing their strongest team against such a decent team as they are also at risk if things get weird. But yeah, that fear is indeed there from a SA POV as its not in your hands, and then your mind starts thinking but what if in this or that situation. To have these possibilities is stressful, because nothing is out of the question, we have seen crazy events at world cups. To add to this, You would think that this is an opportunity for Andy Farrel to pull a suprise, especially if it can influence your QF opponents.

In this case the debate as to whom they would rather face in the QF, France or NZ is too marginal, with or without Dupont
Yeah but trying to engineer a SA out with the second place finish is just too damn hard. Every other scenario sees them out of the tournament or in the exact same place as if they won the match.

They'll look to win and build momentum after a week off going into the knock out rounds.

A minimum of 61 points would need to be scored for South Africa to be eliminated. I don't see these two teams doing that.

Why wouldn't they? Scotland are a proper side they'd be insane not to.

Well no, I do think they will play their best 15, and yes Scotland is a good side. But there may be reasons one can argue.

1. They played their best team most games so far? South Africa rested players every second week as our tough games split between weaker games with full rotation. We also now rest this weekend while Ireland does not. I am sure rotation for the QF must at least have been a small consideration for Farrel.
2.losing is not the end of the world, in certain circumstances, in fact it may prove fruitful if you had a preference.

With that said, its only possible motivations. Even with only slight rotation they should be good enough to beat Scotland.

2.losing is not the end of the world, in certain circumstances, in fact it may prove fruitful if you had a preference.
Only one circumstance, where you score 4 trys and they do and win by a margin of 21+ (minimum score of 41-20). That ain't ******* happening. So by loosing you have to start playing all kind of games trying to out if your out or not when a win just means your through in the exact same circumstances as the losses.

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Is Ireland gonna go full strength for this one?
Does the likes of Henderson, Conan, Sheehan and Henshaw starting really weaken the team? I don't think so.

I can see us making a few changes but the lads who are coming in will add bite.

Scotland 15- Ireland 7 is the dream result.

More likely Ireland will be in the 20s and Scotland will be below 15.

Are you from one of the nations participating in the URC? Most people from countries who participate in the tournament speak highly of it and the South African involvement.
Yes, I'm a season ticket holder for a bad (the best) Welsh team lol.

The URC is so hard to enjoy as it is, very few travelling fans, clubs put on no away support trips, poor atmosphere outside local derbies, all of these issues are compounded by a involvement from clubs on the other side of the planet.

Let me be very clear, the SA teams are good value rugby wise, unless their internationals are on duty, and it is noones fault except the money men who run the game, but as an entertainment business rugby is dying at the club level, not just in Wales but Scotland, Italy, Super rugby and most of England.

It's a sad state of affairs when your club leaves the country for 3-4 weeks, goes on hold for a 4 week period, then goes on hold again for a 7 week period, and home games arent particularly interesting any more.

SA teams hold no interest to European crowds until the latter stages of Europe, there are 0 away fans to interact with, teams throw weakened squads up north and down south to retain performances, there is no heritage, and most fans i know didnt even watch the URC final held in Capetown.

I get the money men are happy, viewership is up, and even attendance at the final was good, I even understand why this will lead the way for a lucrative move into the 6N for SA, regardless of how much they deny it...

we are diving head first into football territory, money rules all, fans can go f themselves because they're not needed

Match fixing is unlikely as it is a criminal offence. If proven beyond reasonable doubt people will go to prison and be banned for life. As well as kicked out tournament.

If proved on balance of probabilities, then kicked out of the tournament and given lengthy bans.

Yes, I'm a season ticket holder for a bad (the best) Welsh team lol.

The URC is so hard to enjoy as it is, very few travelling fans, clubs put on no away support trips, poor atmosphere outside local derbies, all of these issues are compounded by a involvement from clubs on the other side of the planet.

Let me be very clear, the SA teams are good value rugby wise, unless their internationals are on duty, and it is noones fault except the money men who run the game, but as an entertainment business rugby is dying at the club level, not just in Wales but Scotland, Italy, Super rugby and most of England.

It's a sad state of affairs when your club leaves the country for 3-4 weeks, goes on hold for a 4 week period, then goes on hold again for a 7 week period, and home games arent particularly interesting any more.

SA teams hold no interest to European crowds until the latter stages of Europe, there are 0 away fans to interact with, teams throw weakened squads up north and down south to retain performances, there is no heritage, and most fans i know didnt even watch the URC final held in Capetown.

I get the money men are happy, viewership is up, and even attendance at the final was good, I even understand why this will lead the way for a lucrative move into the 6N for SA, regardless of how much they deny it...

we are diving head first into football territory, money rules all, fans can go f themselves because they're not needed
Disagree with this. I enjoy watching the South African teams in the URC

Yeah but trying to engineer a SA out with the second place finish is just too damn hard. Every other scenario sees them out of the tournament or in the exact same place as if they won the match.

They'll look to win and build momentum after a week off going into the knock out rounds.
It would also be too obvious. No one is going to risk their careers for one match

Latest posts