• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

Commiserations to Ireland.

I thought our defensive structure was hugely improved from the past and very Ireland focused. For example We kept our players out wide rather than following where the Irish players were; that meant we were prepared for their loopy plays on subsequent phases. I'm sure Schmidt helped with the defensive structure.

I thought Ireland didn't suffer hugely from the pressure, but they suffered just enough. They did create some numbers at times but consistently chose the safe option not to use them. When they are playing at their most confident they see a few more opportunites to shift into 5th gear and execute.

Ah well. Really really gutted. All Blacks were the better team on the day though.

I'm sure people will make their QF jokes and by all means enjoy them but there's no shame on going out like that. Died with our boots on. Definitely underperformed in one or two areas but came back and gave ourselves a chance to win it and the ABs were just better.

Also, I hate rugby and will deny any knowledge or interest in the game for at least a month.
I hear you buddy. 2019 world cup final, I know it's different because you played well and lost, but that game turned me off the game for years. Wishing you a speedy recovery

I found Ireland a bit underwhelming, especially after all the hype and hyperbole being heaped upon them by everyone - including our own NZ media people, none of whom picked the All Blacks to win.

Their attack was so easy to negate - it was like a typical rugby league attack passing behind the forwards to backs running laterally, relying more on individual brilliance and luck to punch through rock-solid defensive lines. Their desperation not to play in their own 40 was exposed a couple of times when they appeared to panic and kick the ball back to the ABs' 40 only to face more attacks in their 40.

Ireland needs more variation in their attacks..
There normally is in fairness. They normally ask serious questions of the opposition in attack. Just didn't do it tonight!

Just on the hype and hyperbole... Ireland were two point favs on the handicap. You can be underwhelmed but there was nothing between the sides on paper. But for an heroic Jordie Barrett effort and underwhelming Ireland might have won.

Shame for Ire but the ABs deserved the win.

We can go all cod psychologist as to the reasons why. It'll be a combination of factors as always. There's no QF hoodoo, but the Irish didn't have any players used to successfully navigating the pointy end either. Knock out rugby brings different pressures.

The ABs turned up - they may not be vintage but they're not totally terrible either. They'd been on a generally upward trajectory and although they lost to the Boks at HQ far fewer remember the reverse result over the summer.

But I go back to what I said about the Irish over celebrating after the Boks game - it just seemed to mean too much. May not have made any difference, but it may have given them false confidence or they may have found it hard to raise their game to that intensity again in comparatively short order. It just didn't ring quite right at the time. Of course they wanted to win but they would almost certainly have qualified with a loss, a result that would have enabled them to refocus and get the winning run monkey off their backs - virtually all teams who've been long unbeaten runs say that it becomes a bit of a millstone at a certain point.

Ireland died with their boots on, but at the end of the day weren't quite good enough. I guess it's nights like this which remind us why we love the game.

I feel gutted because I really don't fancy going to Paris to watch the ABs destroying the PUMAs in a one sided semifinal....I might sell those tickets since Ireland is not there and just attend the second one which should be tighter at least.

There normally is in fairness. They normally ask serious questions of the opposition in attack. Just didn't do it tonight!

Just on the hype and hyperbole... Ireland were two point favs on the handicap. You can be underwhelmed but there was nothing between the sides on paper. But for an heroic Jordie Barrett effort and underwhelming Ireland might have won.
Ireland would not have been underwhelming had they won, because it meant they played better than their predictable attacks negated easily.

Ah gutted. But not even a fraction as gutted as the squad will be.

Coulda. Maybe shoulda. Too many bad decisions, be it isolated carriers not buying time, passers not recognising those runners being isolated or fellas on the ball pushing the game with speculative (at best) plays.

Danger of NZ is not just the team being collectively so good (which hasn't been the case recently), but individuals having the brilliance to make something out of nothing (and many on the team still have that).

If Crowley develops, many of that squad will be back in 4 years time with the tools to get beyond the QF. Whether they get the luck of the draw (on the other side and we're sleepwalking to a SF) and have the mentals to stay the course when the heat comes on.

Ireland would not have been underwhelming had they won, because it meant they played better than their predictable attacks negated easily.
Nah, they misfired badly quite often. Possibly due to the defender having perfect pressure timing forcing the decision and giving themselves time to react either way, which then becomes (really, really) good defence.

I really thought they'd do it until about 5minutes in, when that stubborn belief just wasn't there and my doubts started.

amazing game, All Blacks deserved that win. To do so with such a hostile Irish Crowd and questionable refereeing was pretty special.
Controlling the game through 2 yellow cards and adjusting things as the flow of the game changed was immense.
Its particularly special to see Sam Cane play such an important role. Some players look great in games we win comfortably while Cane never gets credit. But he can and does lift for brutal games like this. And after the sledging the Irish players aimed at him it is so sweet to see him smashing them around the park, making critical plays and winning the one that matters.

Really interesting start with a couple of nervous passes from Smith AND some wayward kicks as well. Then the AB's calmed things down and held the ball.
And all week people have been *****ing about Beaudens kicking game and I've been trying to tell them that we need him kicking and if we just hold the ball the Irish will pin us down and monster us and eventually bully us at the breakdown. kicking into space and moving the Irish pack down was going to be critical and Beauden nailed it when we needed.

Defense was generally pretty amazing from the AB's. Irish have a really established attacking plan which isn't flash but is really hard to counter and for the most part it was shut down. And we really only allowed the Irish to score through yellow cards. And there really has to be some irony around the 2 Irish tries scored By Kiwis, people should really be giving some credit to the coaches on coming up with a plan to Keep the Irish out.
Has to be said though the biggest liabilities we had on defense were Ioane and fainga'anuku the two of them combined for a really nice try but pretty much everything good Ireland did on attack there was Ioane missing or not even attempting to make a tackle. He did some good things on attach but first and foremost you have to make tackles. I personally would put ALB in there he is arguably the best midfield defender in the world Aki would never have a game like that with ALB there looking after him. And hes no slog on attack ether and probably better at feeding the edges than Ioane.

The Scrum and lineout were amazing from the AB's. one mistake being when they contested a lineout they should have defended before the penalty try. The frustrating thing being the AB's should have won a clear turnover just prior if not for a genuine refereeing howler. It was critical to have DeGroot and Lomax come back and play well. William and Fletcher off the bench with a superb effort and Sam Whitelock with the clutch turnover to win it. Savea and Cane everywhere, huge effort. Still some dicapline issues to work on but it looked like they adjusted and improved on it during the game.

Phenomenal game, this has to be the best Irish side of all time and one of the best teams ever. Huge win for the AB's.