• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

That makes little sense. What you're effectively saying is that had Ronan Kelleher rolled Barrett and touched down their attack wouldn't have been underwhelming. It hinged on that. Ridiculous.
Yet they didn't. And we could have scored a try at the other end before the whistle...might have, could have... read the scoreboard!

This ******* hurts so so bad. I'll be back for the next Leinster game. We just don't have it.

Ireland remains one of the best teams in the world with an extremely attractive game. It's an impressive team.
The victory against the South African world champions was a determining factor in putting the All Blacks on alert.

I'll see you this evening for the France - South Africa match because personally I'm not calm about the defeat of South Africa against Ireland and the return of Pollard does not bode well.

South Africa, as the 2019 world champion who has more experience to manage this type of match at this stage of the competition, is obliged to give everything against France who, like Ireland, have never been world champions. It will be difficult.

I'll also meet you for the Stade Rochelais - Leinster matches, our little war will never end. ;) :cool: 🤣

@IT157 You tell me that my predictions were wrong, yet I was not mistaken, I stated that Wales will reach the quarter final of the World Cup without any problem and that Argentina will go to the semi final . :cool:

I thought Porter should have been taken off earlier as he was in Wayne Barnes' bad books. Instead they took Furlong off early surprisingly.
I have no real idea what goes on at the scrum tbh but to me it looked like the one time Porter was clearly in on an angle and Barnes was up for it and the last scrum penalty was truly weird with the entire Irish 8 crabbing across for no apparent reason other than jockeying for position. Not sure what the actual case was. It just struck me as strange.

You were saying Wales would make the semis due to their history.

For the rest I was right, I said that for the All Black-Ireland match logic will be respected et and that Argentina would reach the semi-finals.

On the other hand, Ireland really has great supporters, they are the best in this World Cup. :cool:

How about instead of world cups we have world rankings reset every four years and then for the last of the four years we have test series between first and second, third and fourth, etc played at the higher ranked teams home grounds.

On top of that, just for funsies, in one of the other years have a spectacle event - the world knockouts - where the top 16 teams play at a single host country/city, starting with first vs sixteenth, second vs fifteenth etc but each knocked out team then keeps playing against other knocked out teams until you have ranked places one to sixteen over four weeks. There can be progressive monetary rewards.

How about instead of world cups we have world rankings reset every four years and then for the last of the four years we have test series between first and second, third and fourth, etc played at the higher ranked teams home grounds.

On top of that, just for funsies, in one of the other years have a spectacle event - the world knockouts - where the top 16 teams play at a single host country/city, starting with first vs sixteenth, second vs fifteenth etc but each knocked out team then keeps playing against other knocked out teams until you have ranked places one to sixteen over four weeks. There can be progressive monetary rewards.

You're ideas are way too smart for World Rugby. Good ideas, though.

They can't even sort our revenue-sharing for home & away test matches: they will be arguing from here to the next century about hosting and revenue-sharing from the matches you're proposing...

This is well put from someone on Youtube

"Ireland have a decent record against the AB's in recent years but world cups are a different beast."

So i couldnt watch the game and accidentally saw the score.

Was it a good game? Deserved win?

Feel so bad for ireland, they'd be in their first SF if they had our side of the draw, crazy that England COULD(not will) do better than Ireland this WC

This is well put from someone on Youtube

"Ireland have a decent record against the AB's in recent years but world cups are a different beast."

Ireland fell against the most terrible of opponents in the 1/4 finals. Their victory against South Africa was in a way a false victory for prestige because I am the only one who noticed, with a world class scorer like André Pollard never would Ireland have defeated the South Africa and everyone knows it.

Finally, historically Ireland has never gone beyond the quarter-final stage of a World Cup unlike Argentina to a lesser extent who know how to manage this type of match.

I also read some articles from Irish newspapers, they were too confident for their match against the All Blacks, they were blinded by their defeat against France and I told you, New Zealand will not do the same mistakes that South Africa.

Was it a good game? Deserved win?

Best game of this RWC so far in terms of being an epic, close and in intensity. And yes.
Feel so bad for ireland, they'd be in their first SF if they had our side of the draw, crazy that England COULD(not will) do better than Ireland this WC
It's sad that they couldn't back up the last 4 years after being the number 1 ranked side. But this is why knockout rugby is so brutal. Boiled down to fine margins - the Jordie getting under to save a certain try, Sexton inexplicably missing a makable penalty. Ultimately, it comes down to pressure and playing your best rugby and making it count when it matters.

Ergh just woke up and it feels very raw. NZ defence completely dominated last night. Can't fault the effort but there were some bad mistakes from the players. I think Porter was always going to have that game where he got pinged off the park and this was it.

Key for Ireland is keeping Farrell. Want him to have another crack but feel we may lose him to England.

What I have learnt from this World Cup is the Irish pundits talk of "cycles" is absolute nonsense. You turn up or you don't to a World Cup and it really is just luck.

We're going to make a semi final one day - Irish rugby is in too good a place. But felt like this should have been the team.

Extremely proud of the lads - some of the best weekends of my life.

I watched the Ireland-SA game and thought SA could have won it easily. I thought it was very informative watching the SA players milling around after the match, smiling and back-slapping one another! It struck me that the uber-competitive Saffers were not down on themselves as they usually do after a loss (at least to the ABs), and instead seemed to be in quite jovial mood after the tight loss to Ireland.

It almost felt like that with the knowledge that the AB's lost to France earlier, that they were content they were not going to play the ABs in the QF

Without being disrespectfull, i beleav Irish game plan was too predictible. Very well done, but predictible. They're missing that little bit of madness that could make the difference. The same attacks, again, and again, and again.

Without being disrespectfull, i beleav Irish game plan was too predictible. Very well done, but predictible. They're missing that little bit of madness that could make the difference. The same attacks, again, and again, and again.
It drains defences, especially in the last 20 when legs and heads are tired. Agree though, sometimes you just need those special moments - Ireland/Leinster are a little bit too regimented.

It we played tomorrow it could have been Ireland by 4 - just the way it falls.