• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA a bigger threat to NZ than any other Team

55.4+46+draws? I doubt the springboks have beaten us 46% of the times we have played them

My wrong:

SA have beaten NZ 41% after Saturdays match, which is still the best stat against the All Blacks. However, that was not my point.
No other country comes close to that. OZ only have a 28.57% winning ratio against the All Black and have played them 140 times as opposed to South Africa having played NZ approx 83 times.

The stats just prove that SA are probably NZ greatest threat at the World Cup if all goes according to plan and they play eachother in the SF! Springboks have also beaten the All Blacks in the WC 95 Final and 99, 3rd place play off where NZ have only beaten SA in the 2003 QF.

Lez, let the ABs consider Aus their biggest threat; that only makes SA more fo a therat (if that makes any sense LOL). I think the posters trying to say otherwise here are saying that at this moment in time they see Aus as the biggest threat rather and not that SA has been (across time) the bigger threat; I don't think anyone can argue that point. It does carry water in that Aus is currently ranked 2nd and has had a better show against NZ of late (apart from this weekend past although admittedly that matchday 22 was missing a number of stars).

So, like me, I urge you to jsut soak it all up; it will make the inevitable victory THAT much sweeter.

I agree with you, I am not saying that SA will win though. Just saying that SA are a great threat and if NZ don't think so they must catch a wake up. I also think that Henry is quietly worried about the SA game plan coz it does not suit NZ, especially in knockout matches which is the case at the RWC. I think they can dominate Oz and they have proved this over the last 100 years and definately most recently only losing 1 out of their last 12 head to head games or so.

You're right. Best I could come to is just over 43% if you take the NZ cavalier matches as well (during the Apartheid years). I think he may have included the drawn matches as wins which you obviously can't- unless you want to say; 'we haven't lost in 46% of matches' which is a bit silly LOL.

Another interesting stat which I can't confirm from any sources but I'm sure I remember it correctly is that Victor Matfield would now have a 63% win ratio as captain over NZ.

Well, I can confirm he was captain for the win in New Zealand in 2008, the loss against them the previous year and the 19-0 game in CT also in 2008.

Coupled with this game, thats a 50% winning margin, and the last I can remember he wasn't captain in any of the previous wins over New Zealand, but obviously that doesn't mean he didn't

All the reference to winning ratio just make me laugh, it takes only one win to eliminate NZ (or any other team by the way), that's the main difference between a championship format and a cup format. Sure the ABs would win any rugby championship on earth but winning a cup is an entirely different matter and requires different qualities, including luck that you do not need in a championship.
A formula one will win the championship any given year against a serial car but it is bound to break down at least once in the course of the season, when is all what matters. This not a AB vs SA or AB vs Oz subject.

All the reference to winning ratio just make me laugh, it takes only one win to eliminate NZ (or any other team by the way), that's the main difference between a championship format and a cup format. Sure the ABs would win any rugby championship on earth but winning a cup is an entirely different matter and requires different qualities, including luck that you do not need in a championship.
A formula one will win the championship any given year against a serial car but it is bound to break down at least once in the course of the season, when is all what matters. This not a AB vs SA or AB vs Oz subject.

I think this is a really good analogy.

Latest posts