• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA franchises in 2013

Some of those players still have a lot to do but I'm with you. There is still a long while to the next RWC and we've already brought in a number of new talent. Time will tell which of them take the step up and as much as HM has been stubborn he has given a lot of youngsters game time and brought them in one or two at a time which is positive.

Look at all the youngsters we have for the backrow... Stander, Armand, Elstadt, Coetzee, Schoeman, Kolisi, Liebenberg, Cook, Botha... Some very talented youngsters

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Can't see much wrong with that...

But let's look in a broader sense to the guys that could go to the World Cup:

1. Guthro Steenkamp, Heinke van der Merv, Kitshoff, Marcel van der Merwe and Beast if his heart can hold out.
2. Bismarck, Adriaan Strauss, Chilliboy Ralepelle, Deon Fourie
3. Jannie Du Plessis, Coenie Oosthuizen, Pat Cilliers
4. Eben Etzebeth, Flip van Der Merwe, Pieter Steph du Toit
5. Juandre Kruger, Andries Bekker, Anton Bresler, Franco van Der Merwe
6. Francois Louw, Heinrich Brussouw, Marnus Schoeman, Marcell Coetzee
7. Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Jean Cook, Jacques Potgieter, Siya Kolisi
8. Duane Vermeulen, Pierre Spies, Arno Botha, Brynard Stander
9. Jano Vermaak, Ruan Pienaar, Francois Hougaard, Piet van Zyl, Cobus Reinach
10. Johan Goosen, Pat Lambie, Elton Jantjies, Handre Pollard, Morne Steyn
11. Raymond Rhule, Bryan Habana, Lwazi Mvovo, Willie Le Roux
12. JDJ, Jan Serfontein, Frans Steyn, Francois Venter
13. Paul Jordaan, JJ Engelbrecht, William Small Smith, Lionell Mapoe, Marcell Brache
14. JP Pietersen, Francois Hougaard, Lionell Mapoe, JJ Engelbrecht
15. Jaco Taute, Louis Ludik, Zane Kirchner, Willie Le Roux

Out of those guys only the following guys haven't been part of the Bok-setup yet:

Kitshoff, Marcel van der Merwe, Deon Fourie, Pieter Steph du Toit, Anton Bresler, Marnus Schoeman, Jean Cook, Brynard Stander, Piet van Zyl, Cobus Reinach, Handre Pollard, Willie Le Roux, Jan Serfontein, William Small Smith, Marcell Brache and Louis Ludik

That's 16 out of a potential 66 guys that could go to the World cup and there are some guys I didn't even mention that could also come into contention...

Do us a favour and copy and paste this exact post and review it is 2014 - you WILL be shocked how much changed in SA Rugby.
Not to prove you wrong but it would be very interesting.

This country remains a rugby factory and every year youngsters comes on-board and within 2-3 years they are Springboks and some very potential players move on or get serious injuries.
I am reluctant to guess what the Boks will look like next year, not even going to bother with speculations about the next world cup

I know but it's so much fun to speculate about the future Boks line up...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Mkay, Reinach/Groom/van Zyl-Lambie-Serfortein-Jordaan for our inside backs.

PSdT was considered by Meyer as a backup during the 4N but was unfortunately injured.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Saying my last goodbye's at the Sharks tonite. Had n lovely time with all of you guys and I thank you for the memories and friends made!! :(</p>â€" Piet Lindeque (@PietLindeque) <a href="https://twitter.com/PietLindeque/status/261508236799270914" data-datetime="2012-10-25T16:43:16+00:00">October 25, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Today Lindeque tweeted he is moving to Tuks to play for them in the Varsity Cup. Chris Cloete and Nick Schonert are 2 other players from the U21 team who are leaving.

Cloete? Damn, I had heard good things about him. We have Kleinhans and a chap named Stander coming through, though.

Being a flanker in the U21 team in Durban is not a good thing. Having to compete with Deysel, Alberts, Daniel, Coetzee, Botes, Kleinhans and Stander... Man... That sucks.

Meisiekind is returning from Japan...

Bulls wider training group for 2013:

Akona Ndungane*, Arno Botha*, Basil Short, Bjorn Basson*, Bongi Mbonambi, Callie Visagie, Chiliboy Ralepelle*, Clayton Blommetjies, Corne Cooper (schoolboy), Cornell Hess, Dawie Steyn, Daniel Kriel (schoolboy), Dean Greyling*, Deon Stegmann*, Dewald Potgieter*, Flip van der Merwe*, Francois Hougaard*, Francois Venter, Frik Kirsten, Grant Hattingh, Handrè Pollard (schoolboy), Hencus van Wyk, Jan Serfontein, Jano Vermaak*, Jacques Potgieter*, Jacques du Plessis, Jean Cook, Jesse Kriel (schoolboy), JJ Engelbrecht*, Juandrè Kruger*, Jürgen Visser, Juan Schoeman, Lionel Mapoe*, Lohan Jacobs, Louis Fouchè, Marcel van der Merwe, Marvin Orie, Mike Williams, Mornè Mellett, Mornè Steyn*, Paul Willemse, Pierre Spies*, Rohan Janse van Rensburg (schoolboy), Ruan Snyman, Rudy Paige, Sampie Mastriet, Schalk van Heerden, Shaun Adendorff, Tiaan Schoeman, Tony Jantjies, Travis Ismaiel, Ulrich Beyers, Werner Kruger*, Wiaan Liebenberg, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Willie Wepener, William Small-Smith, Wynand Olivier*, Zane Kirchner*

*denotes Springboks

So with the latest updates we have Liebenberg and Ntubeni out injured with John Smit coming in. Schalk Burger is set to play from the outset and other than our hookers Bekker seems to be the only other ****le (it would be strange to have him not injured for more than 5 games straight for once!). Keeping that in mind and with us unlikely not to field our best for the opening match against the Sharks we are likely to see (unless the hierarchy has changed in practice or during the warm up games);

Kitshoff, Fourie, Cilliers
Etzebeth. Bekker
Burger, Vermeulen, Kolisi
Duvenhage
Jantjies
De Villiers, De Jongh
Habana, Taute, Aplon

with a bench of J Smit, Carstens, Malherbe, Elstadt, Carr, Groom, Grant (if done in Japan), Pietersen

Might be worth it to have Smit at hooker and Fourie at openside as he was on fire in the Currie cup at the flanks and Smit should still be a good hooker in terms of the basics (scrums, LO throws where he has had time with Bekker for the Bokke) but with the hooker crisis I doubt we'll go that route.

Maybe when Liebenberg and Ntubeni are fit again but Coetzee has indicated to the media (if I remember correctly) that Deon would be seen primarily as a hooker.

Last edited:
So with the latest updates we have Liebenberg and Ntubeni out injured with John Smit coming in. Schalk Burger is set to play from the outset and other than our hookers Bekker seems to be the only other ****le (it would be strange to have him not injured for more than 5 games straight for once!). Keeping that in mind and with us unlikely not to field our best for the opening match against the Sharks we are likely to see (unless the hierarchy has changed in practice or during the warm up games);

Kitshoff, Fourie, Cilliers
Etzebeth. Bekker
Burger, Vermeulen, Kolisi
Duvenhage
Jantjies
De Villiers, De Jongh
Habana, Taute, Aplon

with a bench of J Smit, Carstens, Malherbe, Elstadt, Carr, Groom, Grant (if done in Japan), Pietersen

Might be worth it to have Smit at hooker and Fourie at openside as he was on fire in the Currie cup at the flanks and Smit should still be a good hooker in terms of the basics (scrums, LO throws where he has had time with Bekker for the Bokke) but with the hooker crisis I doubt we'll go that route.

Maybe when Liebenberg and Ntubeni are fit again but Coetzee has indicated to the media (if I remember correctly) that Deon would be seen primarily as a hooker.

That can't work... we only play with 22 players in the Super Rugby tournament...

That can't work... we only play with 22 players in the Super Rugby tournament...

Then simply omit Frans. WE ALL KNOW SMIT CAN PACK DOWN AT TIGHT HEAD LOL!! At least if PdV is to be believed.

Seems kinda silly not having 23 though seeing as it has the go at test level to have an extra prop on the bench. O'Neil's last 'F8@# you' to SA and NZ prior to stepping down as ARU chief whip?

Last edited:
I'm quite looking forward to see how the teams will look when they finally take the field; Kings will be unrecognizable to their CC div1 team, Bulls have a load of young talents but who will get in their ahead of the more experienced guys- particularly, will M vd Merwe, A Botha, Pollard and any one of a host of centers get a starting berth? Cheetahs have those Griquas players to consider for inclusion and will probably have something of a new look about them with Andries Strauss and WP Nel also gone. Sharks will have a bit of a shake up with Bissie injured, Lambie moving to 10 and F Steyn coming in in addition to their young locks taking over alongside Franco vd Merwe...

Interesting times.

Latest posts