• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA franchises in 2013

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Okay so we have been threatening to take the SR ***le for a few years (or at least up until the play-offs) now so lets discuss our chances in 2013.

The introduction of the Kings in 2013 has indeed led to a mass exodus of the talent from the Lions. Here are confirmed signings with the Stormers being big recipients.

Tighthead Pat Cilliers - to sign with the Stormers (permanent)
Flank Michael Rhodes - to sign with the Stormers (permanent)
Flyhalf Elton Jantjies - to sign with the Stormers (loan agreement)
Centre Lionel Mapoe - to sign with the Bulls (loan agreement)
Lock Franco van der Merwe - to sign with the Sharks (loan agreement)
Centre Jaco Taute - to sign with either the Stormers or Sharks

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Lions-to-confirm-mass-exodus-20121003

Pat Cilliers and Jantjies are HUGE signings for us. Brok Harris just isn't a world class TH and hopefully Jantjies get free reign to get our dangerous backs going for once.

Rhodes is only there for depth while Taute could be priceless utility cover for JdV/JdJ and Pietersen... in fact, I'd start him over Pietersen at 15 as is.

Last edited:
The introduction of the Kings in 2013 has indeed led to a mass exodus of the talent from the Lions. Here are confirmed signings with the Stormers being big recipients.

Tighthead Pat Cilliers - to sign with the Stormers (permanent)
Flank Michael Rhodes - to sign with the Stormers (permanent)
Flyhalf Elton Jantjies - to sign with the Stormers (loan agreement)
Centre Lionel Mapoe - to sign with the Bulls (loan agreement)
Lock Franco van der Merwe - to sign with the Sharks (loan agreement)
Centre Jaco Taute - to sign with either the Stormers or Sharks

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Lions-to-confirm-mass-exodus-20121003

Pat Cilliers and Jantjies are HUGE signings for us. Brok Harris just isn't a world class TH and hopefully Jantjies get free reign to get our dangerous backs going for once.

Rhodes is only there for depth while Taute could be priceless utility cover for JdV/JdJ and Pietersen... in fact, I'd start him over Pietersen at 15 as is.

Man, I bet you are sitting there waiting in anticipation for that press conference... But Why Taute would go to the Stormers, is beyond me. You have Aplon, Joe Pietersen, JDV, JDJ, Brache, JP Du Plessis, Habana... a few of those guys will be furious and possibly look at other franchises if they know they'll get more game time.

Taute will fit better with the sharks.

I just wonder what the hell the Bulls are doing to bolster their squad??? as things look very dark at this moment

Man, I bet you are sitting there waiting in anticipation for that press conference... But Why Taute would go to the Stormers, is beyond me. You have Aplon, Joe Pietersen, JDV, JDJ, Brache, JP Du Plessis, Habana... a few of those guys will be furious and possibly look at other franchises if they know they'll get more game time.

Taute will fit better with the sharks.

I just wonder what the hell the Bulls are doing to bolster their squad??? as things look very dark at this moment

I'm not sure Taute would fit better with the Sharks or if its the best option for his carreer long term. At least if Taute is to play fullback then he should come to us as he'd get gametime ahead of Pietersen I'm sure. At the Sharks he's up against Ludik, Viljoen and even F Steyn and Lambie if Plumtree gets up to his usual tricks.

Sure at center which is where Meyer seems to want him he is up against JdV and JdJ but the season is long and there will be much rotation especially as he can rotate with the centers and with Pietersen at 15. At the Sharks F Steyn is a sure stater at 12 and then there is both Whitehead and Jordaan to battle for 13. It'd probably be better for him to play outside F Steyn if he is to play center but the Sharks have a way of screwing with utility backs so let him come to the fairest Cape!!

I'm not sure Taute would fit better with the Sharks or if its the best option for his carreer long term. At least if Taute is to play fullback then he should come to us as he'd get gametime ahead of Pietersen I'm sure. At the Sharks he's up against Ludik, Viljoen and even F Steyn and Lambie if Plumtree gets up to his usual tricks.

Sure at center which is where Meyer seems to want him he is up against JdV and JdJ but the season is long and there will be much rotation especially as he can rotate with the centers and with Pietersen at 15. At the Sharks F Steyn is a sure stater at 12 and then there is both Whitehead and Jordaan to battle for 13. It'd probably be better for him to play outside F Steyn if he is to play center but the Sharks have a way of screwing with utility backs so let him come to the fairest Cape!!

That's why Taute will fit in well at the Bulls! We don't have a quality 13!

Now we just need to get F Louw, Schalk Brits and Ruan Pienaar and my ridiculous wishlist might actually come true. With Cilliers we don't need Mujati. Probably it'd be better to have Frans Malherbe back up Cilliers to give the youngsters a chance.

Now we just need to get F Louw, Schalk Brits and Ruan Pienaar and my ridiculous wishlist might actually come true. With Cilliers we don't need Mujati. Probably it'd be better to have Frans Malherbe back up Cilliers to give the youngsters a chance.

Greedy Bliksems!!

Wow Cilliers and Jantjies are good signings! Who do you think will start at 10? Grant or Jantjies? I would say JAntjies, unless they can find somewhere else in the backline to put him

Poor old Grant, hasn't really been given a fair go beyond Super Rugby, now gets shafted even at that level...

Well WP can't help that Grant never really got a chance at test level and with Grant playing in Japan I can see Jantjies getting dibs on the 10 jersey and he is the best man for the job in any case IMO.

Cilliers is the big one for me though. I can't see our scrum going backwards with him there.

Squad so far

Kitshoff / Carstens
Liebenberg / Fourie / Ntubeni
Cilliers / Malherbe
Etzebeth / Elstadt
Bekker / Steenkamp
Burger / Rhodes
Kolisi / Koster
Vermeulen / Carr

Duvenhage / Groom / Screuder
Jantjies / Grant
Habana / Mbovane
De Villiers / Brache
De Jongh / Du Plessis
Aplon / Van den Heever
Taute / Pietersen

I just know Taute will choose the Cape and his Lion Bok buddies Cilliers and Jantjies!!!

Based on the same article on the Supersport website, Lionel Mapoe will be joining the Bulls next year...

Whoohoo!!

Based on the same article on the Supersport website, Lionel Mapoe will be joining the Bulls next year...

Whoohoo!!

Mapoe and Basson reunited as wing partners or would you rather see him at 13 at the expense of Engelbrecht? Then there Venter and Serfontein as well. The Bulls have some good options from 11 to 14. Not the best in the country in any position IMO but a pretty useful backline none the less.

Mapoe and Basson reunited as wing partners or would you rather see him at 13 at the expense of Engelbrecht? Then there Venter and Serfontein as well. The Bulls have some good options from 11 to 14. Not the best in the country in any position IMO but a pretty useful backline none the less.

I would play Mapoe on the wing. Ndungane is past his sell by date. Breed JJ into the 13 spot with Venter, Serfontein and Small-smith in the mix too. Then Pollard can also come into the mix a bit.

I would play Mapoe on the wing. Ndungane is past his sell by date. Breed JJ into the 13 spot with Venter, Serfontein and Small-smith in the mix too. Then Pollard can also come into the mix a bit.

I forgot you guys got Small-Smith. You really hogged all the age grade centers LOL but I can uunderstand that as you only really had Olivier and he is gone now.

I'd like to see Mapoe on the wing again. He has the all round game to be at least back up for the Bokke at wiing.

Franco going to the Sharks is a good move. We need some experience with our 4 lock talents. I don't want Taute at the Sharks. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him in a Sharks shirt, but for his own development, and the Boks chances in 2015, he would be better suited with the Stormers where he doesn't have to compete with Ludik, Pietersen and Jordaan. I will explain:

Full-back
Ludik is the form full-back in South Africa and will be a Springbok soon. If Taute is playing full-back, he has to battle with Ludik and Viljoen

Wing
When we look at the wings, the Sharks have 2 Boks in Pietersen and Mvovo. Taute will struggle to play either one of these out of the starting XV, since wing is not his preferred position anyway

Outside center
Here he has to battle with Paul Jordaan, and despite me wanting some depth in this department, I cannot handle seeing Jordaan or Taute missing out on serious minutes because the other is preferred. Both need to play 80 minute Super Rugby matches next year

In Cape Town, he will fit right in. Joe Pietersen is average at best, Taute the future Bok full-back. Focus on 1 position, battle Ludik for the Bok jersey, not the Sharks jersey.

I also see Taute as vying for the Bok 15 jersey long-term. 15 is the one spot we need world class players and in Taute and Ludik we have just that IMO. Lambie I still see at no. 10. Having Taute, Ludik and Viljoen at one franchise battling for gametime would be rough for the Bok no 15jersey. Average Joe Pietersen can wear the Stormers 22 jersey and cover 10 and 15 with Grant/other center at 21.

Franco going to the Sharks is a good move. We need some experience with our 4 lock talents. I don't want Taute at the Sharks. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him in a Sharks shirt, but for his own development, and the Boks chances in 2015, he would be better suited with the Stormers where he doesn't have to compete with Ludik, Pietersen and Jordaan. I will explain:

Full-back
Ludik is the form full-back in South Africa and will be a Springbok soon. If Taute is playing full-back, he has to battle with Ludik and Viljoen

Wing
When we look at the wings, the Sharks have 2 Boks in Pietersen and Mvovo. Taute will struggle to play either one of these out of the starting XV, since wing is not his preferred position anyway

Outside center
Here he has to battle with Paul Jordaan, and despite me wanting some depth in this department, I cannot handle seeing Jordaan or Taute missing out on serious minutes because the other is preferred. Both need to play 80 minute Super Rugby matches next year

In Cape Town, he will fit right in. Joe Pietersen is average at best, Taute the future Bok full-back. Focus on 1 position, battle Ludik for the Bok jersey, not the Sharks jersey.

i know what you are trying to say BUT the stormers are not playing the type of rugby they should... thsi year their style were boring % rugby squeezing a win and not the running style the cape faithful are used to. In saying that will this style (if the opt to play it again in 2013) suite Taute? don't you think that style will make him look avg? it made de Joghn look avg and i know he is. In saying that i think taute is beter off playing for the cheetahs or sharks, even if it means he has to sit on the bench for ludik... i heard Grant is going to Japan :? not sure if it's true... Jantjies Spencer will def fire the backline, just a shame he has JDV on the inside :bad:

Last edited:
i know what you are trying to say BUT the stormers are not playing the type of rugby they should... thsi year their style were boring % rugby squeezing a win and not the running style the cape faithful are used to. In saying that will this style (if the opt to play it again in 2013) suite Taute? don't you think that style will make him look avg? it made de Joghn look avg and i know he is. In saying that i think taute is beter off playing for the cheetahs or sharks, even if it means he has to sit on the bench for ludik... i heard Grant is going to Japan :? not sure if it's true... Jantjies Spencer will def fire the backline, just a shame he has JDV on the inside :bad:

I get what you're saying but I'd be surprised if the Stormers don't adapt their game. Grant will play in Japan and miss the first few games depending on how far his team go in the play-offs. That opens the door for Jantjies to get the backline going. Essentially my hope is that the inclusion of Jantjies and hopefully Taute into the Stormers backline with a dash of attacking intent will do for the Stormers what the inclusion of Goosen and Taute did for SA last weekend. Habana, De Jongh and Aplon could really work off of Jantjies and Taute with JdV the steadying influence and Duvenhage taking care of Jantjies much as Pienaar did.

All the teams are going to have to adapt their game...

next year there are the new scrum change of touch pause set... and the 4-second clear time at the rucks.

This will mean that the Stormers defense system will be under a lot more pressure due the pace of the game.

But the Stormers are missing the point once again. their problem is not in their backline, but in their forwards!! Michael Rhodes and Pat Cilliers are great purchases, but they need more! especially in the prop, and flanker positions as this is what has been their downfall so far.

Hein, the biggest issues will be with the Bulls. The ruck has been a major factor of their defense where they add players to the ruck to increase the distance between the opposition and the scrum-half to perform a box-kick. That won't be an option anymore. The Stormers have a quick recycling, the only issue is the number of times they hit the opposition in stead of passing wide, like the Sharks and Cheetahs do.

Latest posts