• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA vs Wales (June 2022 series)

AWJ still has a role to play. Past his best but can still add something. I didn't think he was particularly bad today. He's still coming back from injury and stuff too but guess his place on the bench is still, in part, owed to the lack of good locks we have coming through.
He has been an exceptional servant to Welsh rugby, but like Jamie Roberts his time is surely up.

AWJ should go to the WC, even if 3rd choice his leadership in training will be invaluable, and if Wales do well then he is definatly a back up at very worst.

I think South Africa should feel pretty good about salvaging a win after the 6-2 almost bit them in the ass. Kolbe going off really made them shuffle things around and yet they still got the job done. Not a game where they will want to repeat things from but they still got the W. Kept themselves in the game and only needed a couple bits of magic to put it away.

Wales on the other hand should be kicking themselves. Terrible discipline allowed South Africa to dominate territory and possession. Lucky to not have spent time with a yellow card. I'd like to see what their pass completion rate was cause it seemed like the ball was hitting ground way too much for an international side.

Excellent shift by the pack. Wales were lucky we had so many near misses. Mapimpi just being in touch, De Allende scoring a legitimate try that was ruled as short. Nevermind the refusal to card Wales in that first half after a million penalties. Had we taken our chances this could have been a bigger win. Eben and Siya were monsters. Bongi was great too. Kwagga and Marx were demons when they came on. Happy with the series win but a lot needs to be improved.

Wales were great tourists. Very unlucky in game one and game two never gave up and grinded it out. Sure they lost to Italy in 6N but with more luck they could have beaten Eng and France, and even had 2 more wins vs us. The top 9 are all good and it's better for the game to have so many candidates that could win a WC

Certainly closer than in the last teams are very very close to one another.

Last edited:
Excellent shift by the pack. Wales were lucky we had so many near misses. Mapimpi just being in touch, De Allende scoring a legitimate try that was ruled as short. Nevermind the refusal to card Wales in that first half after a million penalties. Had we taken our chances this could have been a bigger win. Eben and Siya were monsters. Bongi was great too. Kwagga and Marx were demons when they came on. Happy with the series win but a lot needs to be improved.

Wales were great tourists. Very unlucky in game one and game two never gave up and grinded it out. Sure they lost to Italy in 6N but with more luck they could have beaten Eng and France, and even had 2 more wins vs us. The top 9 are all good and it's better for the game to have so many candidates that could win a WC

Certainly closer than in the last teams are very very close to one another.
Thought De Allende's try was clearly short from what I saw? But yeah either way very close either way.

Today we had fortune with the ref, it almost felt he was being easy on us as the first game was spoiled by very harsh refereeing imo. And then in game 2 AWJ had a yellow which shouldn't have been. But today we should have had 1 at least in the first half. Think we were going to get one if you didn't score a try on one occasion.

Considering the Italy disaster we've done well, and I thought today was our best overall performance. If we had a better lineout it could have been a better ending for us, but we're always going to struggle to keep SA to under 25 points, so not taking the opportunities and scoring 14 points against a full strength boks will never win us the game.

Hard not to like Reffell. He's like a small Warburton who gets around the park better. Typified in that lovely try we scored. He's not running great support lines for little offloads around the ruck and stuff but seems like he's first to a lot of breakdown so wasn't surprising to see him in that place at that time even though it was out on the wing.

Would love to see him paired with Basham or Tipuric even though the obvious problem there would be fielding 2 quite small flankers (and essentially playing two 7s) but would love to see them play together just like the few times we actually payed Warburton and Tipuric together.

Hard not to like Reffell. He's like a small Warburton who gets around the park better. Typified in that lovely try we scored. He's not running great support lines for little offloads around the ruck and stuff but seems like he's first to a lot of breakdown so wasn't surprising to see him in that place at that time even though it was out on the wing.

Would love to see him paired with Basham or Tipuric even though the obvious problem there would be fielding 2 quite small flankers (and essentially playing two 7s) but would love to see them play together just like the few times we actually payed Warburton and Tipuric together.
Reffell was the player of the series for me with Marx or Willemse as a close second. Bright, bright future ahead.

Reffell was the player of the series for me with Marx or Willemse as a close second. Bright, bright future ahead.
Yeah, from a Wales perspective he was up there. I was also very, very pleased with how consistent Gareth Thomas was, both in the tight and in the loose. I had big doubts about Thomas at this level but he's really impressed me. Definitely our first choice LH now. Just need to get Wyn Jones' 2020 form back and I'd be happy with those 2 going into the WC.

Latest posts