• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa dark horses at rwc 2011

Fair play Samoa, did not see this one coming! Fantastic win! This result has made pool D even more interesting than it was to start with, especially from a Welsh perspective! Seems that a fair few people are writing Wales off, which I'm more than happy with, we're used to being the underdogs. Wales vs Samoa (and Wales vs Fiji too) will be very very interesting, and hopefully Gatland and co will not make the mistake of naming a weakened side, which is something myself and a fair few others on the forums have been saying for a long time.
Wales are a far better team going into this world cup than they were 4 years ago, and a far better, more proffesional team to the ones that last lost to Samoa in '91 and '99. Personally I'm going to reserve any predictions until I've seen Wales play in the warm ups, which reminds me, do Samoa have any more games coming up before the big event kicks off?
Something I actually wanted to point out though, since we're seeing a smaller gap between tier 1 and tier 2 nations with the PI teams and teams like Japan, Canada and Georgia getting better year after year, could this lead to an expanded World Cup? This world cup has a huge amount of competition, Pool D has 4 very competitive teams in it, Pool C has 3 with the Italians proving they can pull an upset out of the bag with their win over the French, and Pool B has 3 teams that can beat each other on their day. Could we see more minnows being introduced because of this? Not as if the enthusiasm isnt out there (just look at Portugal last year).

EDIT: Just found some good highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsVHte6Wb8
Kane Thompsons try was simply superb! Rod Davies was awful, was a big part to blame for the 4th Samoan try, Tuilagi should not have had that much room after having to slow down and take that kick standing still.

Last edited:
A great day to be at the ground to see such a historic moment in rugby. Awesome display against a super power and a ref who did his best to keep the home team in the match.

Congrats to Samoa for their historic win - as for the dark horse tag in the Rugby World cup, once the pool play is over, it's a knock out tournament, so sure, Manu Samoa or any number of teams could progress further than their world rankings suggest

Good on Samoa for their performance today but realistically the aren't in Australia's league. I would be shocked if they bet Wales or Fiji at the world cup and even if they did Australia would have their revenge in the quarters. A dark horse to me has to be ateam who can actually win the competition but isn't expect to, I don't give Samoa any show and so don't consider them a dark horse.

Dumbess thing ive ever read why the hell would it be a shock if samoa beat Fiji when did fiji become a super power in world rugby, Samoa beating Fiji will just be another borring win over Fiji that means nothing.

Samoa to finish 2nd but dont be surprised if they beat South Africa.

Dumbess thing ive ever read why the hell would it be a shock if samoa beat Fiji when did fiji become a super power in world rugby, Samoa beating Fiji will just be another borring win over Fiji that means nothing.

Samoa to finish 2nd but dont be surprised if they beat South Africa.

It'd not be surprising at all if they managed to go through. That said, so could any of Fiji and Wales just as easily while I would be surprised and schocked if SA didn't go through. Samoa has a good chance against SA; while i'd normally rate Wales a bigger threat I think the timing of pool games play into Samao's hands in that SA face Wales first off and would want to put in a big showing I'd imagine while unless things go pear-shaped somewhere along the line I'd imagine they'd rest a few 1st choice players for the last pool game against Samoa. If Samao had a good run up to that point playing for a play-off spot might be just the motivation they needed to pull off the upset. It would still be a big upset though IMO. I do think however that SA's playing style of keeping it a bit more structured and tight does put us in an advantage against the Island sides while teams that play a more open game like Aus and Wales play into their strengths.

If Samoa finishes second in their pool and Aus finish 1st in theirs, they will face each other in the quarters.
Aus can't wait :)

I think that expanding the competition would just create an easier passage.. Look at the tradition and glory associated with the soccer world cup because it is an achievement to qualify (even traditionally good teams such as france almost failing to qualify last outing) It should be relished that teams will feel hard done by to not reach the next round.. It should be an attainable goal for all but no easy games if possible.. Expansion in the future, it will come with things like Pacific Nations Cup, 4 Nations (which will hopefully combine in years to come).. Possible expansion of the 6 nations or a relegation system in it

Mitchell has been running in an anti-gravity chamber, i kid you not, at 70% of his body weight... Will be back at full training in a month.. He'll play in the world cup.. I forgot to include him in my team

I've loved all the uproar about this; Samoa and Italy have always been the two teams I'd support against just about any opposition that's not England/NZ.

Both are teams with massive dedication (as well as massive forwards) that have finally managed to topple some of the established teams. I don't think either will top their group but I'd hope at least one of them goes through to the semis. It's successes from teams like these that make the sport that much more enjoyable. If the top 6-8 teams had continued to dominate the sport would stagnate, as it is we're going to see a great investment in the 'minnow' sides because of this result.

Well done Manu Samoa :D

Wallabies team: Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom (capt), James Horwill, Rob Simmons, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu. Res: Saia Faingaa, Pekahou Cowan, Nathan Sharpe, Matt Hodgson, Scott Higginbotham, Nick Phipps, Anthony Faingaa

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ls-big-guns-20110719-1hmel.html#ixzz1SWWq3dVu

Wallabies team that lost on weekend wasnt as under strength as made out. Some changes but only half.

Wallabies team that lost on weekend wasnt as under strength as made out. Some changes but only half.

True but at the same time when 2 out of these 7 or 8 came on it showed a vast improvement.. I'm hoping the next few will make another improvement but it does show there isn't too large a gap thats for sure

Kurtley and Higginbotham did. Heard interesting talk back this morning. A caller highlighted how much beeter Higginbotham is than Elsom. Somebody on here said Elsom runs like a spastic and I couldnt agree more. To me he is like a taller version of Phil Waugh - trys hard but has limited skill/ability. Higginbotham - now he is superb in attack, defence and has fantastic skill. Funny to hear all the media canibalising the Wallabies when only a week before following the Reds win it was all we'll win the WC. I honestly think the Wallabies should just pick the Reds

I must admit i have never watched Higginbotham with too much depth but what Aus lacked against Samoa wasnt attacking flair but a bit of muscle and hard work.. I think who ever gets their nose dirty and will do more for the team should be picked.. I know myself i will be keen to watch this battle develop

Belief in the team is great but overconfidence is a weakness just like the wallabies showed on Sunday. Manu Samoa is at their worst when we expect too much from them as we saw at the 2003 RWC when we all expected them to roll South Africa, our 2007 RWC campaign when we expected them to beat Tonga, and this years PNC when we expected them to beat Fiji and Tonga. We're better off as underdogs, as Dan Leo said 'the team thrives off that' and that's where they're at their best . They have produced their best results when their backs are to the wall and we are huge underdogs as evidenced in their RWC victories over Wales, their win on Sunday vs Australia and their close results against England 2003 RWC and last years EOYT. Let's just take each game as it comes, not expecting victory but hoping for the best result.