Samoa dark horses at rwc 2011

aucklander

Academy Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Samoa
SAMOA DARK HORSES AT RWC 2011

Does today's results between Australia and Samoa change any predictions for this years RWC?

Both teams will possibly meet at the RWC Quarter Finals and will field their number 1 teams. Let's see.. Bring on the RWC.. So excited

Today's win is good for the sport.

They definitely proved themselves today. Wouldn't be surprised if they stick it to some more Tier 1 nations, not sure if they can win it but they can't be discounted for a top 4 place.

I'd be very suprised if they got a spot in the semi's. They played their hearts out against an Australian squad missing key players and playing mediocre rugby. Not taking anything away from them, they fought hard for 80 minutes and if they played like they did every game, they may make the semi's. With that in mind, I can't see them beating New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England or France considering none of them will be taking Samoa lightly. I'd love to see them make a semi, and the Samoan boys should be as proud as hell over their victory against the #2 side in the world but I think the quater finals would certainly be far enough, and a PI nation making a quater final in again would mean that the IRB would probably invest more money into the teams for more regular fixtures.

Good on Samoa for their performance today but realistically the aren't in Australia's league. I would be shocked if they bet Wales or Fiji at the world cup and even if they did Australia would have their revenge in the quarters. A dark horse to me has to be ateam who can actually win the competition but isn't expect to, I don't give Samoa any show and so don't consider them a dark horse.

Good on Samoa for their performance today but realistically the aren't in Australia's league. I would be shocked if they bet Wales or Fiji at the world cup and even if they did Australia would have their revenge in the quarters. A dark horse to me has to be ateam who can actually win the competition but isn't expect to, I don't give Samoa any show and so don't consider them a dark horse.

Well we beat Australia today and we will shock you.

Last edited:
Australia's League??? What league is that? Please explain. They were over confident and underestimated Samoa. They were just out muscled and out played today and don't say it was a Australia B Team, Because Samoa were also not at full strength. I believe this RWC will be the toughest. Teams like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Japan will be at their best. Also shocked at beating Wales and Fiji? Come on they have beaten them in the past. What is shocking is they upset Australia at home and must i Add Australia fielded a strong team that could still beat any of the top 6 teams.

I think that if Samoa wants it really hard they can beat any opponent. The same can be said about other teams. Don't forget that the S15 only finished last weekend, with some international games this weekend and next week the Tri Nations start. After that it's a one week break before the RWC. I reckon the smaller teams will preform better as they had much more rest.

Anyway.

Well done Samoa

I think it's a bit harsh saying Samoa are out of Aussies league considering today's result

I also think it's ridiculous to say they stand no chance of beating Fiji or Wales at the world cup

Well done Samoa i hope you have a good World Cup

Last edited:
Australia's League??? What league is that? Please explain. They were over confident and underestimated Samoa. They were just out muscled and out played today and don't say it was a Australia B Team, Because Samoa were also not at full strength. I believe this RWC will be the toughest. Teams like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Japan will be at their best. Also shocked at beating Wales and Fiji? Come on they have beaten them in the past. What is shocking is they upset Australia at home and must i Add Australia fielded a strong team that could still beat any of the top 6 teams.

Well...not really. They'd be lucky to beat Wales and Ireland with it and they'd have no shot against a top England, All Black or Springbok team.

1. Sekope Kepu (probably won't be in the final WC squad)
2. Stephen Moore (my choice for starting hooker, will probably be on the bench for WC behind PN)
3. Ben Alexander (probably first choice)
4. Sitaleki Timani (fourth or fifth choice lock)
5. Nathan Sharpe (First choice lock)
6. Rocky Elsome (first game back from injury)
7. Matt Hodgeson (third choice openside)
8. Ben McCalman (Probably behind Palu, Samo but could be a starter)
9. Nick Phipps (third choice halfback)
10. Matt Giteau (second choice first 5/8th)
11. Digby Ioane (first choice winger)
12. Pat McCabe (third or fourth choice inside centre)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (first choice centre)
14. Rod Davies (third or fourth choice winger)
15. Mark Gerrard (second or third choice fullback)

As you can see from the starting lineup, it's no where near what you would call their strongest squad. They'd almost certainly lose to any of the Tri Nations teams with this squad. Take nothing away from the victory, Samoa were outstanding, but this win isn't the best indication of Samoa's chances in the RWC.

Samoan supporters don't get too big for your boots. Even though it was a fantastic win against Australia, and I am so proud and happy that you beat them in their own backyard; it was one match. If Australia doesn't have depth then Samoa has even less depth. When Samoa can play constantly good rugby and challenge, and beat, the top 6/7 nations then they will be dark horses for the World Cup. I just do not they will be able to handle playing constant hard rugby week-in-week-out at the World Cup.

Other than that, WELL DONE.

soma played awesome but that was a weaker side then the one that will south Africa with only 2 reds, i can see you guys beating Wales to make the quarters, i reckon the reds could knock over soma with genia cooper combo
im hoping deans looks at rocky's leadership. deans underestimated soma by playing a "B team" and paid the price and they deserved the victory

im looking foward to seeing soma vs Wales

Last edited:
Somoa Wales will be great, I think they got away with a lot today in the breakdown which during a world cup would have probably ended in more than one yellow card. In saying that their passion is what takes them so far. While I also don't see them going past the quarters, stranger things have happened. Also agree Rocky needs to lose the leadership and at least a starting position in my opinion.

Samoa beat Australia 32-23, They wrote us off while we were writing history. SAMOA MO SAMOA

Who cares if they say its a B Team lol, nice excuse bt we still beat you. Shme. Dur was no news sayn australian b team. B.s

soma played awesome but that was a weaker side then the one that will south Africa with only 2 reds, i can see you guys beating Wales to make the quarters, i reckon the reds could knock over soma with genia cooper combo
im hoping deans looks at rocky's leadership. deans underestimated soma by playing a "B team" and paid the price and they deserved the victory

Not sure what game you were watching today. Did the Wallabies play a team from Africa? Soma, isn't that next to Uganda??

At the end of the day there are no excuses! The Wallabies lost and sure they probably would have won with some of there first choice players but savor the moment and enjoy what truly is an historical day for Manu Samoa.

This ain't no overnight transformation. Last years end of year tour really showed that they were on the up. It was only a matter of time before they would knock over a top 5 team. I laughed when I heard Rod Kafer say that Samoa would fatigue and drop off in the final 20 minutes. These guy's all play professional rugby and play for some of the top clubs in the world. They play week in and week out competitions. They're not players who you find in local club rugby.

Well done Samoa, full steam ahead for the World Cup. In Pool D there are four teams that will be vying for two spots. Wales will have their hands full and South Africa will be wary. Go Manu Samoa!!

As a massive fan of all the Pacific nations (Asian pride :lol: ) I'm incredibly proud of Samoa's performance. It's indisputable that Australia weren't playing their first choice side, but that's not to say that the team they played was far off.

I'm almost certain the choice not to play Cooper was in order to avoid him being battered in such a physical match. Given his supposed weakness in defence, I would not be surprised to see him bottling it under pressure from an awesome Samoan pack. In truth I don't think that Samoa would beat a full strength Aussie side, but beating South Africa... Now THAT doesn't seem out of their reach.

Samoa for the quarters!

Not sure what game you were watching today. Did the Wallabies play a team from Africa? Soma, isn't that next to Uganda??

At the end of the day there are no excuses! The Wallabies lost and sure they probably would have won with some of there first choice players but savor the moment and enjoy what truly is an historical day for Manu Samoa.

This ain't no overnight transformation. Last years end of year tour really showed that they were on the up. It was only a matter of time before they would knock over a top 5 team. I laughed when I heard Rod Kafer say that Samoa would fatigue and drop off in the final 20 minutes. These guy's all play professional rugby and play for some of the top clubs in the world. They play week in and week out competitions. They're not players who you find in local club rugby.

Well done Samoa, full steam ahead for the World Cup. In Pool D there are four teams that will be vying for two spots. Wales will have their hands full and South Africa will be wary. Go Manu Samoa!!

i see samoa lost to tonga a week before i guess that means you think tonga are going to win the world cup

1. Sekope Kepu (probably won't be in the final WC squad)
2. Stephen Moore (my choice for starting hooker, will probably be on the bench for WC behind PN)
3. Ben Alexander (probably first choice)
4. Sitaleki Timani (fourth or fifth choice lock)
5. Nathan Sharpe (First choice lock)
6. Rocky Elsome (first game back from injury)
7. Matt Hodgeson (third choice openside)
8. Ben McCalman (Probably behind Palu, Samo but could be a starter)
9. Nick Phipps (third choice halfback)
10. Matt Giteau (second choice first 5/8th)
11. Digby Ioane (first choice winger)
12. Pat McCabe (third or fourth choice inside centre)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (first choice centre)
14. Rod Davies (third or fourth choice winger)
15. Mark Gerrard (second or third choice fullback)

As you can see from the starting lineup, it's no where near what you would call their strongest squad. They'd almost certainly lose to any of the Tri Nations teams with this squad. Take nothing away from the victory, Samoa were outstanding, but this win isn't the best indication of Samoa's chances in the RWC.

You missed out Kurtley Beale and Will Genia who apparently came on in the last 21mins to save the game.

Believe it or not but that side wasnt Samoas full strength team also.

You missed out Kurtley Beale and Will Genia who apparently came on in the last 21mins to save the game.

Believe it or not but that side wasnt Samoas full strength team also.

Sure, but they are only two men with 20 minutes from nearly 20 points down. Even with them on, you're still looking at an Australian team which is roughly fielding 7/15 of their best players during the game. It's not Samoa's best squad, but it's certainly pretty close. I'd take a majority of those players to start in the RWC team.

Latest posts