• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SBW to fight "White Buffalo"

Heard a lot of rumors about this fight for the last 5 or so months. Still skeptical it's going to happen, all reports so far are South African.

Providing this happens my view is this -
1. Botha gets nothing out of this other than a payday, but will be humiliated if he loses.
2. Botha is an average and old boxer. His greatest claim to fame is losing to every notable boxer of the last two decades. I don't rate SBW, but I think he could well have Botha's number to be honest. Botha has got pretty average power for such a big heavyweight. He'll also concede a rach advantage, which considering how many of his fights have been called on close UD's, I'm not confident he can outpoint him. He's one ***le in his career despite many oppertunities and the ***le is a small one. He lost to a 48 year old Evander Holyfield.
3. This will be SBW's biggest name opponent, and to be honest I think he couldn't have picked a better one. 10 years ago I'd say Botha would win convincingly, but as much as I don't rate SBW much as a boxer, Botha is old, fat, slow and without much power. If it was against many other heavyweights I'd say he'd lose, but having seen Francois Botha's fight against Michael Grant...

I highly doubt that...

The White Buffalo is going to make Sonny Bill his *****!

Botha might be an actual boxer but was never great and now that his old.. well I think that the biggest draw that he could hope to get is a rugby player says it all really. Will still be backing the old guy if this fight goes through but wouldn't be surprised if he came in second.

Im backing Botha to win if the fight comes off, he would have taken Williams apart in a couple of rounds in his prime, but even now I think he has got enough left to beat Williams, who's a poor, inexperienced fighter.

Botha might be an actual boxer but was never great and now that his old.. well I think that the biggest draw that he could hope to get is a rugby player says it all really. Will still be backing the old guy if this fight goes through but wouldn't be surprised if he came in second.
He was never great but was a highly regarded contender at one stage, its a pity hes continued so long after his prime.

Don't see anything but a Botha win here. He may me old, but he is still a class above SBW. He has a habit of getting knocked out late whilst winning on the scorecards, and has done so against the like of Tyson. SBW however simply does not posses the power to knock the White Buffalo out, and will most likely apply a jab and gap tactic. The White Buffalo by UD.

Just hijacking the thread slightly...Freddie Flintoff has just announced hes training to have a go at heavyweight boxing...
Cricket vs Rugby in boxing anyone? :p

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Nice work SBW, finally picking out a notable boxer, even if he is way past his best.

I couldn't pick who is going to win, but obviously the SA guy can take a punch, and SBW will have the speed. So this will come down to points, and if SBW is smart maybe he can win on points?

Anyway, I'll be watching out of interest, hope this rumor is true.

Nice work SBW, finally picking out a notable boxer, even if he is way past his best.

I couldn't pick who is going to win, but obviously the SA guy can take a punch, and SBW will have the speed. So this will come down to points, and if SBW is smart maybe he can win on points?

Anyway, I'll be watching out of interest, hope this rumor is true.

Well...he's lost 7/8 by KO/TKO. That being said, they've been against boxers like Wladimir Klitschko, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Michael Moorer, Michael Grant and Lennox Lewis. Should be interesting.

Looking forward to the fight even though it's a pretender vs a has-been essentially.

Is this fight even happening? I know it hasn't been confirmed yet, I'm still doubting it will go ahead. If it goes ahead SBW can only be applauded, it's a huge step up from what he's been doing. SBW has no amateur boxing experience, this would be his 6th pro fight (essentially his 4th pro fight because those first couple can't count can they?)

How many boxers fight the likes of Botha in their 4th fight of any kind? none is the correct answer. I'm pretty sure this fight wouldn't go ahead in the US as the experience difference is just too great and they regulate this kind of thing.

Its a shame that people are still giving SBW a hard time for taking such a risk.

Frans Botha wont want to look like a mug, i bet he trains the house down and gets in the best shape he's been in for awhile. He's a former Heavyweight champ 48-8, SBW is going to get tested that's for sure.

Is this fight even happening? I know it hasn't been confirmed yet, I'm still doubting it will go ahead. If it goes ahead SBW can only be applauded, it's a huge step up from what he's been doing. SBW has no amateur boxing experience, this would be his 6th pro fight (essentially his 4th pro fight because those first couple can't count can they?)

How many boxers fight the likes of Botha in their 4th fight of any kind? none is the correct answer. I'm pretty sure this fight wouldn't go ahead in the US as the experience difference is just too great and they regulate this kind of thing.

Its a shame that people are still giving SBW a hard time for taking such a risk.

Frans Botha wont want to look like a mug, i bet he trains the house down and gets in the best shape he's been in for awhile. He's a former Heavyweight champ 48-8, SBW is going to get tested that's for sure.

It has been confirmed:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/SBW-to-fight-White-Buffalo-20120817

They square on the 24th of November if I remember correctly. Sonnys biggest fight and this will tell him whether or not he should continue as a boxer. Botha is a bit washed up but he still good enough to fight Sonny thats for sure and I base that on Bothas experience. We all know about the big names in boxing who hes gone rounds with but hes also fought as a kickboxer against some great kickboxers like Ray Sefo and Jerome Le Banner.

Im going for Sonny but my money is on Botha. Ive seen this guy being interviewed one time after a fight and he seemed like a real nice guy is old Botha. He didnt seem like a your typical old fashioned prizefighter who really needed money and Boxing was all they were good at. Botha striked me as a happy guy who just won a million dollars and thought he'd celebrate it by fighting someone, he was a passionate fighter when I saw him last.

Wow good on SBW for stepping up to fight someone that has challenged champions. I dont know about the outcome of the fight, as anything can happen, but i'd like to see how sonny reacts to someone of Botha's experience inside the ring.

Sonny Bill has well an truly stepped up his game, I can hardly believe it. Botha is no joke and it would take a really confident bloke to challenge him in only their 6th pro fight.

If Sonny beats Botha I reckon he should give boxing a full time crack at some stage. IMO it would show great potential given his limited experience.

Latest posts