• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scarlets v Ospreys NYD 2022

Tooting Carmen

First XV
TRF Legend
Scarlets: L Williams; McNicholl, S Hughes, S Williams (capt), S Evans; D Jones, G Davies; R Evans, Elias, O'Connor, Lousi, T Price, Thomson, Macleod, Kalamafoni.

Replacements: D Hughes, S Thomas, W GriffJohn, Shingler, Lezana, Hardy, Patchell, T Rogers.

Ospreys: D Evans; Giles, Collins, Watkin, L Morgan; J Thomas, Webb (capt); N Smith, Taione, Francis, Griffiths, Beard, Roots, J Morgan, M Morris.

Replacements: Lake, G Thomas, Botha, Ashley, Cross, Aubrey, Hawkins, K Williams.

Referee: Adam Jones (WRU)

Assistant Referees: Ben Breakspear (WRU), Rhys Jones (WRU)

TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU).

Decent game this in the end. Relatively free flowing, with some decent passages of play. Lead-up to Scarlets 4th try to edge ahead was extremely good.

For me Scott Williams needs to come back into the reckoning for Wales. Easily the most rounded centre we have available. Can crash it up, kick, slot in at first receiver, pass, tackle, and has bags of experience. Maybe Haloholo at 13 until North returns?

Patchell made a difference when he came on too I thought (poor place kicking aside). A couple of key interventions with the intercept and then lovely take and give in lead up to Mcnicholls try helped swing things. Dan Jones doesn't do it for me, he's a good squad player, but not good enough starter.

Jac Morgan continuing to impress for Ospreys, and their young 10 had his moments which is promising. Dan Evans still useless, looks like he's treading water in possession. Ospreys need to concentrate on Protheroe at 15 imo (assume he was injured/isolating for todays fixture) and Nagy too ahead of Evans who's years past his sell by date by this point!

Decent game this in the end. Relatively free flowing, with some decent passages of play. Lead-up to Scarlets 4th try to edge ahead was extremely good.

For me Scott Williams needs to come back into the reckoning for Wales. Easily the most rounded centre we have available. Can crash it up, kick, slot in at first receiver, pass, tackle, and has bags of experience. Maybe Haloholo at 13 until North returns?

Patchell made a difference when he came on too I thought (poor place kicking aside). A couple of key interventions with the intercept and then lovely take and give in lead up to Mcnicholls try helped swing things. Dan Jones doesn't do it for me, he's a good squad player, but not good enough starter.

Jac Morgan continuing to impress for Ospreys, and their young 10 had his moments which is promising. Dan Evans still useless, looks like he's treading water in possession. Ospreys need to concentrate on Protheroe at 15 imo (assume he was injured/isolating for todays fixture) and Nagy too ahead of Evans who's years past his sell by date by this point!
I generally agree with this summary, although is Dan Evans really that bad?

Dan Evans has offered nothing for a few years now. He was once one of regional rugby's most consistent performers, but that time has long gone.

To be fair he wasn't terrible in this game, but still offered very little. Brilliant tackle prevented him scoring, but ball in wrong hand allowed it to happen.

He offers nothing from the back with no pace and no step. His kicking isn't what it was either and he's a selfish player, very rarely passing the ball. He's still decent positionally I suppose.

Someone like Protheroe offers so much more and the Ospreys look far more dangerous with Evans not in the side.

Latest posts