• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Schools Rugby

E

eoino

Whats the Set Up like in different Countries? The irish set up is extreamly intence, TV and Newspaper coverage, attracts a packed national Stadium for the semi's and the Final, and has been run since the 1800s..

Leinster Schools Senior Cup to give it its full name is the under-age rugby union competition for schools affiliated to the Leinster Branch of the IRFU. First held in 1887, the cup celebrated its 120th anniversary in 2007.

It traditionally draws large crowds to matches and up to 25,000 for the final tie which traditionally takes place on Saint Patrick's Day at Lansdowne Road.

Historically Blackrock College is by far the most successful team in the cup's history having lifted the cup 65 times, followed by Terenure College with 10 Wins, Belvedere College with 9 Wins, Castleknock College, with 8 Wins, Clongowes Wood College with 6 Wins and St. Mary's College with 5 Wins.

Visit here for more information: Leinster Schools Cup

Whats the Set Up like in different Countries such as Australia, NZ, France... any info?

Didn't we have a thread like ths a while ago ?

Anyhoo, like I said in the other thread, schools rugby in SA is pretty huge.

I'm not sure about the tournaments or cups or anything (* the one on TV at the moment is the FNB classic clashes, which is basically all the top schools o the country playing each other*).

I know schools like Affies had the Beeld cup untill just a year ago.

The match between Paarl gim and Paarl boys high last year got 20000+ spectators, and the Paul Roos vs. Grey college clashes are probably the biggest in the country.

We have smaller comps as well, I know my school played in a "Super 16" which was basically the 16 best schools from our region (* we didn't do half bad either, generally ended up at 4th or 5th, Menlo park usually took top honors <_< *)

I think Grey college had a sort of cup or tournament a year or 2 ago for the schools 150th year anniversary, Paul Roos whooped their asses :rolleyes: :bravo:

:( Due to the population we have here in New Zealand, it obviously doesn't draw much attention for the spectators. New Zealand has over 4 million people and it is too far to travel so we have a long distance between each main cities. Anyway Rugby isn't our only main sport.

Don't get me started on Australia's school rugby set up...if you do want me to explain it all I would require $50 haha.

Hmm. Tough one...basically the public schools (especially Wellington. *****) think they're the dog's ******** although they're not really that great and don't usually have more than one or two academy players every year. That said, there are a couple of exceptions like Stonyhurst and Ampleforth which are decent rugby schools.

Grammar schools here tend to put out strong sides. This all comes to a head at the Daily Mail Schools Cup but it's not really a huge event. There's a little coverage but nothing televised. Not sure how club recruiting works but at least it does seem to work well enough.

But yeah. Currently I'm enjoying my University rugby. It's awesome, our college side trains once a week max and we're still in Division II of IV :lol: it's a good life.

Hmm. Tough one...basically the public schools (especially Wellington. *****) think they're the dog's ******** although they're not really that great and don't usually have more than one or two academy players every year. That said, there are a couple of exceptions like Stonyhurst and Ampleforth which are decent rugby schools.

Grammar schools here tend to put out strong sides. This all comes to a head at the Daily Mail Schools Cup but it's not really a huge event. There's a little coverage but nothing televised. Not sure how club recruiting works but at least it does seem to work well enough.

But yeah. Currently I'm enjoying my University rugby. It's awesome, our college side trains once a week max and we're still in Division II of IV :lol: it's a good life.
[/b]

Id think you find Llandovery College in Wales is far better than Wellington, they provide allot of Welsh players e.g. Alun Wyn-Jones to name one, ill find a list somewhere

[/b]
Don't forget Millfield.

I live in America so we play with different cities. At the moment my city (San Francisco) is represented by a club. We play for state then national I think. The only problem with Rugby in the states is that no one really cares about rugby. It's not a popular sport. We would rather watch American football and basketball, then watch rugby. Oh yeah it's also really hard to watch rugby on the T.V.

P.S. WELSH RUGBY FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!

I live in America so we play with different cities. At the moment my city (San Francisco) is represented by a club. We play for state then national I think. The only problem with Rugby in the states is that no one really cares about rugby. It's not a popular sport. We would rather watch American football and basketball, then watch rugby. Oh yeah it's also really hard to watch rugby on the T.V.

[/b]

Well I'm sure not everyone don't care about rugby over in the States so I think you meant the majority of the States don't care about rugby. "No one reallly cares about rugby" That's gone a bit too far. :(

:D peace out

QUOTE(SFRugby @ Apr 26 2007, 05:22 PM) *

Well I'm sure not everyone don't care about rugby over in the States so I think you meant the majority of the States don't care about rugby. "No one reallly cares about rugby" That's gone a bit too far. sad.gif

biggrin.gif peace out[/b]

Okey then, but I also said the sport is not that popular. That is what I meant anyways. The game of rugby is not that popular in the states.

QUOTE(SFRugby @ Apr 26 2007, 05:22 PM) *

Well I'm sure not everyone don't care about rugby over in the States so I think you meant the majority of the States don't care about rugby. "No one reallly cares about rugby" That's gone a bit too far. sad.gif

biggrin.gif peace out[/b]

Okey then, but I also said the sport is not that popular. That is what I meant anyways. The game of rugby is not that popular in the states.
[/b]

:cheers: Ahh now that's more like it

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Don't forget Millfield.
[/b][/quote]

Millfield arent that great, their first team is good... but they don't have that much depth
i played against a mixture of their second and third teams for my 6th form a while ago and it was pretty evenly matched, we were beating them by 5 or so points before our hooker injured his neck and we called the game off.
they are well set up but in terms of quality rugby sherborne boy's school is much better. their third team put 50 odd points on us last time we played.

But, whats the SET UP like, is it a league, like is there divisions etc?[/b]
We play Union, not league. We don't really have any divisions or anything like that. We just play different cities. Our team is a under 19 team. We also have a mens 21+ team and an American Super League team.
I don't know if that answers your question but that's all I know.

But, whats the SET UP like, is it a league, like is there divisions etc?[/b]
We play Union, not league. We don't really have any divisions or anything like that. We just play different cities. Our team is a under 19 team. We also have a mens 21+ team and an American Super League team.
I don't know if that answers your question but that's all I know.
[/b]

This topic was never about the sport League :D lol. What SFRugby meant was a 'league' as to some sort of structure like a 'competition'.

It's a pretty big deal in the province I live, but varies throughout
[/b]

What province are you in? Here in BC its pretty big, no news coverage or tv airing, just some some highlights on the main site for BC rugby. I wish it had tv coverage, id watch it.

I guess the best way to describe it is we have the FNB leage (if you wanna call it that), and if you play decent enough there you get picked for your provinces Craven week squad, it's just that I don't think it's that simple.

There are also clubs to consider such as Maties etc.

But I think it's usually from the schools setup that you get picked for craven week, and craven week usually leads to junior boks etc.

In NZL we have College 1st XV then New Zealand Schools then Baby Blacks then Colts then Club then Province (Air NZ Cup) then City (Super 14) then finally Country (All Blacks).

:D :p :D :p :D :p

Well, it seems that NZ Australia South Africa and Irish schools teams are a level way above any other country. its semi-professional here. Infact, our Ireland Coach (Eddie O'Sulliven) came to ireland after he brought Blackrock to their Cup win a good few years ago.

Its absolutly huge in Ireland, Blackrock gave this Russian dude a scholorship about 4 years ago, but he never went to the school, he just Trained, Showerd and went home. Its about â'¬5000 a term in Blackrock. He got it for free and never went! SAP!

Latest posts