• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland Squad Announced For The 6 Nations

Tough one to predict... front five looks all Wales, back row would just go to the Scots and the backs can't be split for me. As well as the Scottish backs have played recently, there are one or two changes to the regular personnel. While the Scarlets... I mean Wales have looked notoriously blunt for the last couple of years but this will be different players (Davies, Patchell, Parkes, Adams, Evans) who are all undeniably dynamic and effective. Add to that the fact that the entire back line play week in week out in a successful and adventurous side... with the exception of adams (who incidentally started his career with the scarlets). Naysayers will say that Howler will debilitate their dynamism but we won't know til Saturday.

Will be nice to see the Scottish fans come to Cardiff with confidence, will be nicer to see them leave in despair though

Tough one to predict... front five looks all Wales, back row would just go to the Scots and the backs can't be split for me. As well as the Scottish backs have played recently, there are one or two changes to the regular personnel. While the Scarlets... I mean Wales have looked notoriously blunt for the last couple of years but this will be different players (Davies, Patchell, Parkes, Adams, Evans) who are all undeniably dynamic and effective. Add to that the fact that the entire back line play week in week out in a successful and adventurous side... with the exception of adams (who incidentally started his career with the scarlets). Naysayers will say that Howler will debilitate their dynamism but we won't know til Saturday.

Will be nice to see the Scottish fans come to Cardiff with confidence, will be nicer to see them leave in despair though

I think Wales will win. But I don't expect the Wales backs to play like the Scarlets. Not because of howley but because of the intensity of international rugby. They'll smash the Scots upfront though or should atleast.
Also, you go through the Wales back line and to me a few too many seem not that dangerous with ball in hand I.e halfpenny, Williams, Parkes to some extent ,exciting but erratic - Davies or untested at international level - Patchell, Evans, Adams. They may well perform but I wouldn't count on it despite the great Scarlets contingency.

Particularly disappointed to see Chris Harris. Scotland have loads of depths centre and I think some of them are actually Scottish.

8 is the cut off for me. A minority of the starting team born in Scotland brings the sport into disrepute in my eyes and means I'll actively be cheering on the Welsh here.
Come on Bruce ! More people of Scots descent living outside Scotland for historical reasons plus we have by far the smallest playing strength of the home nations . Play the rules just like England have been doing for a decade ! Scotland !!!!!

I think Wales will win. But I don't expect the Wales backs to play like the Scarlets. Not because of howley but because of the intensity of international rugby. They'll smash the Scots upfront though or should atleast.
Also, you go through the Wales back line and to me a few too many seem not that dangerous with ball in hand I.e halfpenny, Williams, Parkes to some extent ,exciting but erratic - Davies or untested at international level - Patchell, Evans, Adams. They may well perform but I wouldn't count on it despite the great Scarlets contingency.

Little bit harsh on Williams and Parkes there, as they've both formed an integral part of a ridiculously attacking Scarlets backline that has been tearing teams apart for the better part of a year now, especially with Jon Davies out for the long run as well. For me Halfpenny is the one that's shown the least with ball in hand, but even he's shown signs of improvement since his move to West Wales.

I think the time is right for a bit of untested, and most importantly, on form talent. This is the most excited I've been about a Welsh backline in a very long time, though I would still much prefer them going with the 2 fly halves at 10 and 15 system that the Blues and Scarlets have been running (due to injuries) to quite a large degree of success. I suspect we may well have seen a similar system if Biggar had been fit, but clearly the Welsh team want a safe goal kicker in the side with Biggar injured.

Little bit harsh on Williams and Parkes there, as they've both formed an integral part of a ridiculously attacking Scarlets backline that has been tearing teams apart for the better part of a year now, especially with Jon Davies out for the long run as well. For me Halfpenny is the one that's shown the least with ball in hand, but even he's shown signs of improvement since his move to West Wales.

I think the time is right for a bit of untested, and most importantly, on form talent. This is the most excited I've been about a Welsh backline in a very long time, though I would still much prefer them going with the 2 fly halves at 10 and 15 system that the Blues and Scarlets have been running (due to injuries) to quite a large degree of success. I suspect we may well have seen a similar system if Biggar had been fit, but clearly the Welsh team want a safe goal kicker in the side with Biggar injured.

Yeah maybe a little harsh but neither have the out and out pace of a Ringrose, Joseph or Huw Jones to get that outside break that terrifies opposition defences. Certainly good operators and decision makers on the whole. We'll see how they go vs their opposite numbers on Saturday and judge from there. Against the likes of Price, Russell, Hogg and Seymour you can just see someone being made a fool of. Just hope it's not Evans or Adams as you can imagine Gats dropping them as soon as either Liam or North or Amos return.

Still think Wales by 6 due to the front 5 superiority and being at home.

Yeah maybe a little harsh but neither have the out and out pace of a Ringrose, Joseph or Huw Jones to get that outside break that terrifies opposition defences. Certainly good operators and decision makers on the whole. We'll see how they go vs their opposite numbers on Saturday and judge from there. Against the likes of Price, Russell, Hogg and Seymour you can just see someone being made a fool of. Just hope it's not Evans or Adams as you can imagine Gats dropping them as soon as either Liam or North or Amos return.

Still think Wales by 6 due to the front 5 superiority and being at home.

Yeah definitely get what you mean, but doesn't worry my too much as we have a lot of pace elsewhere with Adams, Evans, Davies and Patchell all making line breaks for dun recently, and the workrate and intelligent support runs that Williams and Parkes have been running generally made up for their own out and out pace (neither are exactly slouches either).

Yeah I'm not sure how Adams is defensively, so hoping he doesn't get shown up because I really rate him and hope he gets and extended run. Evans' defense has hugely improved over the last season or two, but he's still prone to mistakes and the occasional complete brain fart in defence that has led to a couple of dismissals...

Interested to see how Hogg goes actually, he's on brilliant form but hasn't had the best luck playing in the Millenium! Harshly had a try ruled out in his first game in 2012, got red carded for a braindead shoulder charge in 2014, started really brightly in 2016 but had to go off injured early in the game.

Come on Bruce ! More people of Scots descent living outside Scotland for historical reasons plus we have by far the smallest playing strength of the home nations . Play the rules just like England have been doing for a decade ! Scotland !!!!!

True regarding descent. I just think there is more to life and sport than "playing to the rules". Things like the Qatar and UAE athletic squads and the Scottish rugby league sides comply with rules but are farcical. The SRU would be well advised to steer clear from that sort of territory in my opinion. If they get back to a majority home grown players I'll wish them well again.

I'm sure they'll survive without my support and they have a home grown coach which I think is massively to their credit.

I think Reid and McInally might just about keep the pack respectable (although on the back foot) and make it more competitive than I was fearing. Should be a very open and entertaining contest thanks to the roof.

True regarding descent. I just think there is more to life and sport than "playing to the rules". Things like the Qatar and UAE athletic squads and the Scottish rugby league sides comply with rules but are farcical. The SRU would be well advised to steer clear from that sort of territory in my opinion. If they get back to a majority home grown players I'll wish them well again.

I'm sure they'll survive without my support and they have a home grown coach which I think is massively to their credit.

I think Reid and McInally might just about keep the pack respectable (although on the back foot) and make it more competitive than I was fearing. Should be a very open and entertaining contest thanks to the roof.
This is 2018 not 1918 - small countries like New Zealand play any south sea islander who casts their anchor ashore . Scotland plays in the big pool and the heritage factor is mighty relevant . Lets move on please .

So no match thread for wales Scotland??

North playing for Saints tonight surprised me. Supposedly was fit last week too according Saints.

Latest posts