• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum and break down question

H

huffzxcvbnm

ok a few questions:
1. when a scrum half touches the ball, its out right, coz i keep getting pinged for tackling him and sum refs say he has 2 pick the ball up??
2. as a number 8 if i bind with just one full arm, i am still part of the scrum yeh?
3. if i bind with two hands, and leik look up with no shoulder contact, is that legal?

1. when a scrum half touches the ball, its out right, coz i keep getting pinged for tackling him and sum refs say he has pick the ball up?? yes, if he touches, the ruck/maul has ended
2. as a number 8 if i bind with just one full arm, i am still part of the scrum yeh?yeah... I think so
3. if i bind with two hands, and leik look up with no shoulder contact, is that legal? dunno.

the ball is out if the scrum half touches the ball or the last man in the ruck breaks away from the ruck

Before a match, ask the ref when the ball is out.

Each referee interprets something different, and when the ball is out is the most common things for this to happen to.

The ball can be out when "a bird can **** on it", it really just depends on a ref.

Regarding scrums and what is a bind and not: Don't ask people, explore it for yourself. You can often bend the rules quite far. The ref will either warn you, or give you a penalty. It's worth it so you can see how far you can go. Do whatever it takes to gain an advantage.

1. when a scrum half touches the ball, its out right, coz i keep getting pinged for tackling him and sum refs say he has 2 pick the ball up?? Every referee interprets it differently, but I do believe that once the scrummie has touched the ball it is out
2. as a number 8 if i bind with just one full arm, i am still part of the scrum yeh? No, that is considered breaking your bind, although as every referee interprets this differently too, you may get pinged for it
3. if i bind with two hands, and leik look up with no shoulder contact, is that legal? Yep, no legal issues with that at all

1. when a scrum half touches the ball, its out right, coz i keep getting pinged for tackling him and sum refs say he has 2 pick the ball up?? - Yes it is over when he touches it but alot of refs over protect scrummies, best thing to do is ask him and to be less likely to be pinged than going over the top just wait till he touches it and grab him and drag him into the scrum.
2. as a number 8 if i bind with just one full arm, i am still part of the scrum yeh? - should be part of it properly to start but once ball is in you can pretty much do what you want - as others say get away with what you can.
3. if i bind with two hands, and leik look up with no shoulder contact, is that legal? - same as b4

1. when a scrum half touches the ball, its out right, coz i keep getting pinged for tackling him and sum refs say he has 2 pick the ball up?? - Yes it is over when he touches it but alot of refs over protect scrummies, best thing to do is ask him and to be less likely to be pinged than going over the top just wait till he touches it and grab him and drag him into the scrum.[/b]

I've seen this get pinged a lot, but you have to remember that it's a fine, fine line between being on and offside. You may have gone for it just as he touches it, but then you might have been offside for the past three seconds. Refs won't warn you about that all the time, because you should know, but also because it might not make a difference. If you do get the tackle it might not be that you went before the scrum was over, but because you were in an offside position when the scrum was over.

Bottom line is that it's the ref's interpretation. When I played Rugby it was often the ref's law and not the official law that counted which was quite sad.

You're only sixteen though, so any games you're playing in will have refs of a similar age, who won't be the best. It's a lot harder to get up to speed with reffing a match than it is playing a match, and there's no chance of your errors being missed. Give 'em a chance.

When you're playing in the last legs of tournaments though you should be getting better refs. I know all the serious schools competitions here get decent refs once it's on to the knockouts.

When you're playing in the last legs of tournaments though you should be getting better refs. I know all the serious schools competitions here get decent refs once it's on to the knockouts. [/b]

You obviously haven't seen the jokers we get for the Leinster cups

ok a few questions:
1. when a scrum half touches the ball, its out right, coz i keep getting pinged for tackling him and sum refs say he has 2 pick the ball up??

Correct, when the scrum half touches the ball it counts as open play, but if you're not sure, ask the ref.

2. as a number 8 if i bind with just one full arm, i am still part of the scrum yeh?

You must bind with both arms as long as the ball is still in the scrum. There are refs who are really anal about this, so make sure you ask before your team yells at you for doing something you didn't know was illegal.

3. if i bind with two hands, and leik look up with no shoulder contact, is that legal?

Yes, that is legal, you should be doing that all the time on defense so you can get better look of whats going on.

PS: This is coming from a canadian man, so my knowledge of rugby is good, but not great.

Latest posts