• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum Feed

Robert2289

Academy Player
I was wondering if there had been a rule change regarding scrum feed, aren't they supposed to be straight? Seems to me the ball is fed straight to the team putting in, seems a bit pointless to me … unless the rules have changed why isn't this being addressed?

I was wondering if there had been a rule change regarding scrum feed, aren't they supposed to be straight? Seems to me the ball is fed straight to the team putting in, seems a bit pointless to me … unless the rules have changed why isn't this being addressed?
Originally they said scrum feeds must be straight but then it was determined that was not the politically correct thing to do so they allow all feeds now.

It's been like that for several years now. Officially, the rule says the ball has to be rolled in straight, but the scrum half is allowed to stand towards his own side, so long as one shoulder is at the middle of the tunnel. In practice, they roll the ball in practically straight back to the number 8, and I assume referees are under orders to allow it. Can't remember the last time I saw a scrum won against the head.

As a former scrum half, I must agree, and add my 2 bits.

Feeding the scrum? Its a joke. Can hookers not hook any more? No need to. Joke!

As is the untouchable scrum half standing in his (I'm about to box kick) pose, at the back of the ruck. I want to see forwards pile through as soon as his hands are on the ball, and work him over for being a ponce, not have him Faff De Klerk it for 10 seconds, with blond curly locks. Then hoof it. It slows the game down. Downright halts it, while the scrum half does his "look at me". Does nothing for the spectacle, and encourages more kicking. Useless and boring part of most games these days.

As a SH, I was just always slightly worried that the props would take the feed a bit too literally, and eat the damned thing.
Always a little relieved when it emerged at the back.

Oh, and completely agree with the above about the protection SHs are afforded.

Each pack weighs about 900kg, so when it comes to scrum time they're always going to be shunting each other backwards & forwards, making it pretty much impossible for the halfback to put the ball into the tunnel straight... reckon the 9 that has possession deserves to roll the ball in a bit closer to his own hookers feet.

These pedantic/complicated scrum laws are ludicrous... scrummaging was at it's best when both packs just engaged themselves, without refs interfering with this ready, steady, go crap, also a halfback knows much better than a referee when to feed the ball into a scrum.

Last edited:
Each pack weighs about 900kg, so when it comes to scrum time they're always going to be shunting each other backwards & forwards, making it pretty much impossible for the halfback to put the ball into the tunnel straight... reckon the 9 that has possession deserves to roll the ball in a bit closer to his own hookers feet.
In effect, this compensates for the "advantage" of having the put in meaning that you're trying to win the ball with 7 men compared to your opponent's eight. If people want to see a contest, another waymust be found to give the upper hand to the team with the put in that doesn't go so far as to totally remove the defending side's ability to take one against the head.
These pedantic/complicated scrum laws are ludicrous... scrummaging was at it's best when both packs just engaged themselves, without refs interfering with this ready, steady, go crap, also a halfback knows much better than a referee when to feed the ball into a scrum.
It was, but you're never going to get all the evil back into Pandora's box. Trying to return to 1980s or earlier style of scrums would result in a huge rise in collapses / resets. Not something that could be entertained given the much greater forces at play these days.

Wasn't it NZ tactics with the hit on engagement that started us down this path?

Honestly still say the same thing I've been saying for years remove penalties and make it a free kick which can't be taken as a scrum. That's all the problem is teams playing for penalties rather than restarting the game and it isn't rocket science.

I'm not sure where the hit came from, but things certainly got worse when it was in vogue. I would go back further and say that the 8 man shove was the beginning of the end for quick, fair scrums. I remember the Argentines using it to great effect in the late 80s / early 90s, but I'm not sure if this was where it originated.

I'm not sure where the hit came from, but things certainly got worse when it was in vogue. I would go back further and say that the 8 man shove was the beginning of the end for quick, fair scrums. I remember the Argentines using it to great effect in the late 80s / early 90s, but I'm not sure if this was where it originated.
That's essentially what I meant less of a hit but the idea to put pressure on as early as possible prefrebly before the ball was put in.

Whilst things are certainly bad we are a far cry from touch, pause, engage, collapse.

Whilst things are certainly bad we are a far cry from touch, pause, engage, collapse.
In hindsight, that was wildly misguided Like giving an archer time to pull the string back all the way and take aim before firing.

In effect, this compensates for the "advantage" of having the put in meaning that you're trying to win the ball with 7 men compared to your opponent's eight. If people want to see a contest, another waymust be found to give the upper hand to the team with the put in that doesn't go so far as to totally remove the defending side's ability to take one against the head.

It was, but you're never going to get all the evil back into Pandora's box. Trying to return to 1980s or earlier style of scrums would result in a huge rise in collapses / resets. Not something that could be entertained given the much greater forces at play these days.
Lets be honest the majority of the time it's 8 against 8 in scrums, if a team does get someone yellow or red carded they can only blame themselves because of a lack of discipline.

At the moment scrums are really frustrating to watch through a heap of collapses/resets anyway, can't really see it getting much worse, so if something isn't working you don't keep doing it, you try something else - the breakdown area continues to be a mess as well... with the clowns from the IRB consistently adding new rules to the game all they're doing is stuffing up rugby, they need to start applying some sensible rules, but knowing the way they work it's probably too much to ask.

From what I remember from the 80's the scrums then were nowhere near as bad in terms of collapses/resets compared to how scrums are executed today.

Honestly still say the same thing I've been saying for years remove penalties and make it a free kick which can't be taken as a scrum. That's all the problem is teams playing for penalties rather than restarting the game and it isn't rocket science.
Can't put it on NZ mate, it's the IRB that made it a law.

Refs let all teams stand offside by miles, so definitely don't want scrums reduced in the game as they give backs a great platform to attack from, as the opposition can't fan all the way across the field as their forwards are committed at scrum time, a good scrum will give your backs more space to create try scoring opportunities.

Last edited:
Scrum tactics have changed so much over the years.

The full 8 man shove used to be a one off tactic for when you were on your 5 metre line or attacking on the oppositions. The hooker used to drop his hand or signal to the Scrum Half when he wanted the ball in so you had the advantage of knowing when the ball was coming in to get the shove on, the defending openside would call the ball in so his front 5 would know when to shove.

Now it's, lean, feed, try and get the penalty, fold. It's actually a suprise to most people when there is quick ball from a Scrum.

It's actually a bit better than it was about 5 or 10 years ago when there were serious calls to get rid of the Scrum altogether given how much of a time wasting eyesore it had become. I think props realised if they carried on with the self-indulgence they would soon find themselves out of a job.

Interestingly the above only really shows in pro rugby in the UK. At grass roots the Scrum is still a good contest that doesn't get away from its true purpose that is to restart the game.

Scrum tactics have changed so much over the years.

The full 8 man shove used to be a one off tactic for when you were on your 5 metre line or attacking on the oppositions. The hooker used to drop his hand or signal to the Scrum Half when he wanted the ball in so you had the advantage of knowing when the ball was coming in to get the shove on, the defending openside would call the ball in so his front 5 would know when to shove.

Now it's, lean, feed, try and get the penalty, fold. It's actually a suprise to most people when there is quick ball from a Scrum.

It's actually a bit better than it was about 5 or 10 years ago when there were serious calls to get rid of the Scrum altogether given how much of a time wasting eyesore it had become. I think props realised if they carried on with the self-indulgence they would soon find themselves out of a job.

Interestingly the above only really shows in pro rugby in the UK. At grass roots the Scrum is still a good contest that doesn't get away from its true purpose that is to restart the game.
Reckon you just use the right scrum tactic depending on which one is the best option at the time, whether it's an old or new tactic, give yourself as many options as possible.

They would've never got rid of scrummaging in rugby, it's a great attacking weapon in the game... whereas in Rugby League they have never contested at scrum time, it's just a way of restarting the game.

Lets be honest the majority of the time it's 8 against 8 in scrums, if a team does get someone yellow or red carded they can only blame themselves because of a lack of discipline.
That's my point - it's 8 vs 8 because a blind eye is turned to feeding. Enforce the law and it becomes 7 vs 8.

It's been like that for several years now. Officially, the rule says the ball has to be rolled in straight, but the scrum half is allowed to stand towards his own side, so long as one shoulder is at the middle of the tunnel. In practice, they roll the ball in practically straight back to the number 8, and I assume referees are under orders to allow it. Can't remember the last time I saw a scrum won against the head.
Scrums are just huffing and puffing exercises these days. It's a presentation of massive men for the edification of the purist. It achieves nothing but time wasting. People pay to be entertained and unfortunately the scrum is not a quick spectacle.

thats a bit of a hot take for your first post, especially bumping a two year old thread

I love a good scrum, it stops rugby turning into league and having 12 loosies plus a scum half and a couple fo wingers....ya need some fat boys, it also creates a unique set piece, tying up half the team in random places around the field and, even briefly, creating space on the field

Scrums are just huffing and puffing exercises these days. It's a presentation of massive men for the edification of the purist. It achieves nothing but time wasting. People pay to be entertained and unfortunately the scrum is not a quick spectacle.
My first thought was Gladiator "Are you not entertained"

For some teams scrums are a weopon like South Africa. A dominant scrum can win you games. As a Saints fan who watches a team without a particularly great scrum it's a platform to tie 8 players up greating space to attack. It's far more nuanced than just for being for the purists.

At a pure amateur level it's still meant to be a game for all shapes and sizes. Big lads in the scrum, smaller quicker in the backs. It's not all about entertainment it's about giving everyone a chance to play the game at some level / position.

Latest posts