• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum resets

Ids1978

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Newcastle RU
I was watching the Sale v Exeter game last night and I got fed up with them going on about the length of time it takes to reset a scrum. I am not sure but I am guessing that most of the explayer in the media moaning about this are backs.

Instead of getting rid of the scrum or changing it. Why don't we change the law so the clock is stopped until the ball is put into the scrum?

Because players will mess around even more, and the 80 mins will take an age to complete

I disagree

Why would they take longer if the clock isn't going down?

Teams sometimes take a scrum option because they know it will run the clock down but in this case it will not happen. If the scrum keeps going down that when the ref steps in with pens and cards.

Stopping the clock will slow everything down even more which is the opposite of what we want

For every reset scrum they should execute one of the front rowers

Why don't you go and watch rugby league if you don't like scrums lol

I have only played rugby at a low level I have never seen a scrum take as long as it does at top level.

I disagree

Why would they take longer if the clock isn't going down?

Teams sometimes take a scrum option because they know it will run the clock down but in this case it will not happen. If the scrum keeps going down that when the ref steps in with pens and cards.
The players will still take as long as they are allowed, I just think referees will allow more and more time to be taken because they won't feel any pressure to get on with the game.

Anyway, even if they continue to take exactly the same amount of time, the situation won't have been improved much because we'll still be sitting around waiting for scrums.

The players will still take as long as they are allowed, I just think referees will allow more and more time to be taken because they won't feel any pressure to get on with the game.

Anyway, even if they continue to take exactly the same amount of time, the situation won't have been improved much because we'll still be sitting around waiting for scrums.

The difference would be you will not be losing playing time to the scrum.

The difference would be you will not be losing playing time to the scrum.

Which is irrelevant when you're talking about the viewing experience. I like scrums but I don't want to spend 5 minutes watching them trying to compete a single one. If the clock is stopped and the scrums don't change then a game of rugby could get up to 3 hours, especially as with a stopped clock that just gives more time for even more scrums.

Scrums need changing, I don't know anyone who thinks simply stopping the clock is good enough, is boring to watch and is part of what is killing the sport. I watched a game with someone who had never watched rugby before, it was full of failed scrums and they went from being interested in a be sport to thinking it was extremely boring and never watched again. This is a huge problem.

The ref needs to be harder on players who bring the scrum down. There is know need for the scrum to go down. Maybe that will solve the problem over time.

Much and all as stopping the clock won't fix things (in fact it'd probably make things worse), I think there is an argument to do it in the last 20 minutes. Right now it's far too easy for winning teams to run down the clock and waste 5 minutes on one scrum.

Much and all as stopping the clock won't fix things (in fact it'd probably make things worse), I think there is an argument to do it in the last 20 minutes. Right now it's far too easy for winning teams to run down the clock and waste 5 minutes on one scrum.

That is a good idea.

Just been watch the rugby today and I thought the refs did a good job with the scrums to day.

Be much quicker on the cards - if they've no interest in playing the game then they can watch from the stands

This and the referees to take some onus on speeding up the players.

I played front row to club level in NZ....I never met anyone who deliberately collapsed a scrum...screwed it, sure, popped it, sometimes, sometimes the other team arent string enough...but everyone i played with knew it was bloody dangerous to collapse it...and to achieve what? reset it? it doesn't make sense

We need less card and penalties in the game in my mind, if its collapsing and you cant see a clear reason just give the free kick and get on with it

same i idea with scrums that are just getting completely dominated....they cant suddenly get stronger...but they're going to get penalised for not being strong enough, just give the free kick...the scrum is a competition for the ball, so if one scrum is dominating then reward them with the ball...seems simple

I played front row to club level in NZ....I never met anyone who deliberately collapsed a scrum...screwed it, sure, popped it, sometimes, sometimes the other team arent string enough...but everyone i played with knew it was bloody dangerous to collapse it...and to achieve what? reset it? it doesn't make sense

We need less card and penalties in the game in my mind, if its collapsing and you cant see a clear reason just give the free kick and get on with it

same i idea with scrums that are just getting completely dominated....they cant suddenly get stronger...but they're going to get penalised for not being strong enough, just give the free kick...the scrum is a competition for the ball, so if one scrum is dominating then reward them with the ball...seems simple

People do bring the scrum down. They do it for a few reasons.

If they can't take the pressure of a scrum it goes down.

If a scrum is going backward the scrum goes down.

Myself has brought a scrum down because the other prop was trying to hinge so I put the scrum down and he didn't try it again.

I disagree with your idea for giving a free kick it should be a full penalty.

If you changed a collapsed scrum to a free kick that mean you can't give a penalty try for a scrum going down and stopping a try been scored.

People do bring the scrum down. They do it for a few reasons.

If they can't take the pressure of a scrum it goes down.

If a scrum is going backward the scrum goes down.

Myself has brought a scrum down because the other prop was trying to hinge so I put the scrum down and he didn't try it again.

I disagree with your idea for giving a free kick it should be a full penalty.

If you changed a collapsed scrum to a free kick that mean you can't give a penalty try for a scrum going down and stopping a try been scored.

as i say, 9 years of club rugby in dunedin and i didn't meet anyone that would do it deliberately

a scrum going down under pressure or going backwards is what im talking about, the dominant scrum has won it, give it to them and move on

desperately collapsing one to teach someone a lesson? thats disgraceful, one of the guys i played with broke his back in a collapsed scrum and if people arent being taught how dangerous it is anymore then thats disgraceful too

There wasn't anything desperate about my actions. I was in control of the situation. He was trying to hinge the scrum to bring it down on his own under pressure trying to stop the drive.

Maybe because I have played front row longer you I have seen a bit more. I have played for over 25 years and rugby has changed a lot over the years.

There wasn't anything desperate about my actions. I was in control of the situation. He was trying to hinge the scrum to bring it down on his own under pressure trying to stop the drive.

Maybe because I have played front row longer you I have seen a bit more. I have played for over 25 years and rugby has changed a lot over the years.
should have been more clear, been playing in the front row since i was 12...so 28 years, just 9 of those at club prem level, school boy and colts before that and seniors / social after, you can keep trying to defend what is literally foul play for as long as you like but "i was in control of the situation" is BS, you cant control what 15 other players are going to do

Last edited:

Latest posts